Ouroboros Spine Waiting on that morning sun
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Joining 
Tagging leadership for visibility, but not all need participate! @Kukutux @Aiolos @Shikoba
Anyone else of Moonglow is more than welcome to snag this as well!

The trek had been long. But born in a clan of constant travelers and hunters, it was nothing Nasamik couldn't handle.

She hadn't planned on stopping her travels for the night, but the further she moved inland, the stronger certain scents became. Someone lived here. Surely, these markings weren't old news.

So, as any inquisitive and respectful traveler would do, the pale woman sat herself a few paces away from where the apparent border began. 

After a short wait, if no one came to view, she would call to see if anyone would come to meet her. 

If they didn't, this land would be considered unclaimed and she would move on.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux still had an eye for the co-wife she had requested.

she came before the woman called, wearing the beautiful fox-fur that inutsuk had given her.

this woman was pale but wore eyes of earthen fire. kukutux was warm. she was going, the stranger. "i greet you," she said.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
She did not wait long.

A woman came to greet her. Pale as snow, with kind eyes. She even wore a fur upon her shoulders. Even without yet having a proper introduction, these two already had something in common. Was this way common to this land?

I return the greeting, silatujuk annak. Head bent and ears flat in respect, she spoke. This was the way she had been raised, to greet those wiser and respected. Nasamik hoped they would not take offense to the foreign tongue.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
moonwoman's eyes brightened. "ukallikurak," she greeted this daughter of the north.

"this is village moonglow. i am kukutux, moonwoman." so this girl had spoken correctly of her title. "where do you come from?" the duck asked, taking up their words again.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
The tongue was not so foreign after all.

Moonwoman, She repeated softly, addressing the woman by the title she knew best.

Nasamik, I was named. But she had no epithet. 

I come from a clan in the north. Miusunnut, it is-.. was called. The clan has dispersed. And now I am here. 
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"i come from siqiniq aisle." aya! it had been so long since she said that name aloud.

"you are in a place of family. we speak the snow-words here." her small teeth showed in a smile, worn from grinding leather. "what skills did you learn from your mother and aunts, nasamik?"
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Snow words. A different way of calling their tongue, but she rather liked it.

I like how you call them, The tongue.

The women of my village taught me many things, though I had not had the chance to declare my studies at an end and become a full bloomed woman in their eyes. Such still pained her. But perhaps soon her wish would come true.

I know the ways of hunting, on both land and sea. I have practiced in healing, but I cannot yet say I am an expert. But I watched our wise heal and deliver many times. 

Though there was much she knew, especially for her youthful age, there was still a great deal for her to learn. And even a greater deal she wished to know. 
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux nodded. "we will help you finish your studying here."

she stepped aside so that nasamik might come with her now. "i am healer here. but we have need of others. and there is no birth-guider here, though i have had many children."

she cast her eyes over the pelt upon the younger woman's back. "do you know how to strip and soften and cure skins?"
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
The one called moonwoman beckoned her to follow. She was not the only northern here, and the people she had so fortunately found would be her saving grace. 

Nasamik was no longer alone.

To heal better is something I wish to know. Among other things. Then someday, perhaps, I may become hunter and fledged woman to your village, should you allow it. It may have been presumptuous to say, but this was the way she knew. To not grow fully unto herself is to fail those who have taught you. Now with those of her blood gone, her worth must be proven elsewhere.

I do. When in the north, it is often too cold to go without the extra warmth. It is one of the first things girls were taught in Miusunnit. Until we grow into our body's strength, hunting is a lesson saved for later. So, in our hearths, we would learn to strip the fur of the flesh and bone, wash it, and store it away for when it is needed. It was seen as a chore to help the elders who were busy elsewhere.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
they trailed up a path of beaten ground and snow. whiteness swirled in the air; wind bent the good tall pines.

kukutux kept her head bowed until they had come to the clearing of the ulaq. it was spacious inside, pelts upon the floor, strips of meat set out in the snow to freeze on racks of wood just beyond the entrance. it was a well-traveled place; even now several members of the pack sat nearby, or in the other ulax.

moonwoman offered to nasamik a strip of good and fatty elk meat. "i will allow it. i have many hunters here. my sons. they will need wives one day." it was a gesture of goodwill, to hint that the girl might become part of their family.

she could think of no better wife for her hunters than a woman of the north. "here women hunt until their time comes. then they go away into their homes to have their children. many are born in the winter." she pointed with her chin toward a stack of uncured pelts in the corner: fox, ermine, deer, elk. 

"i will give these to you. they are yours to cure, when you have found where you will make your lodge."
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
She led them both to a den. Ulax, the northerners often called them.

Inside, there were wondrous things. They were items Nasamik had none seen since the demise of her clan. It made her smile to see them.

Moonwoman offered to her a treat of fresh, fatty meat. She was hesitant, but would not decline, for fear of it being seen as a sign of disrespect. 

The pale woman went on to speak of her many hunters. Then of her sons. Partnerships were suggested, and then children. Things she hadn't thought of in some time. Soon they may be reality, but not now.

Nasamik's attention was then placed upon a collection of unfinished pelts. Kukutux would give them to her.

Gently, her tail began to sway. But before she would accept, she leaned forward and placed the tip of her nose briefly against her shoulder. This is the way we give proper thanks in my former village. It shows the utmost gratitude to our elders and respected leaders. She explained carefully. It was a gesture she would often use, so it was better explained now, rather later.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux accepted the touch gently. "you are a good daughter, to show such respect." nasamik had been taught well.

it raised the girl even more in kukutux' esteem. "i have many daughters. sialuk is first. she has gone to search for a vision from the mountain, that way." she pointed with her chin in the direction of the peak that had been moonspear.

"then there is samani and kausiut. kausiut has left for many moons now. she went to live with my extended kin, the walrus hunters." a little pain touched her eyes, then cleared. "samani is soon to be married to firsthunter, who has the name of rodyn. he has already brought a bride-price for her." 

her pride was clear. "callyope has the want to be spirit-talker. she too seeks a vision, from the winter. and vairë. she is the daughter of my first co-wife, raised too at my hearth. she has been gone for some time, but she comes back. last is ariadne. she has much sweetness in her heart. and she stays close."

the girl was in the corner of the ulaq. perhaps nasamik had not seen her. but ariadne simply continued her work, head bowed. and kukutux quieted for a moment, allowing nasamik to think on what had been said.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Kukutux had many children of youth, and some of adulthood. More daughters than sons, but they were still equal.

Sunman and moonwoman have many light children. You both have been blessed.. Children were indeed a blessing, especially for such a revered couple.

I hope that someday the same will happen for me. Soon. But not yet.

They are wanderers. High spirited, to travel from home, Back to her own. She had named that few that were gone, and some that remained. Each had their own reasons, but good ones, it seemed. Have all of the village gone in search of something, or only some? Nasamik then wandered if it was a requirement, or simply a choice.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"only some."

nasamik, a mother.

"how many moons do you have, uyuguga?"

her eyes were filled with warmth. "it is possible to be wanderer first and then mother, nasamik."
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Only some.

Perhaps it would not be asked of her.

13, a close estimate. In whole, a little over a year of life. It was as close as she could get.

It is not in my desire to be wanderer, As to not to seem disrespectful by this conclusion, Nasamik lowered her head slightly. I have done so for too long. I only wish to settle, to learn, to grow. And later, to create. A family.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,122 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
good to fade here or with ur next reply! <3

"then it shall be so."

nasamik was a good daughter of the long snows. it was well she was within moonglow. she would show a son of the village what a proper wife might be.

and kukutux enjoyed the easier sharing of words. at last she straightened. "rest here. i will return with new skins." they would work together, moonwoman and snowshoe rabbit girl.

a smile. and then she had left the den, leaving nasamik alone with her own mind.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
love these two together! <3

Then it shall be so.

Nasamik was more grateful than she could express. Moonwoman was kind and understanding. Whatever the girl's will, the woman would accept.

Rest here. I will return with new skins.

She nodded, slowly settling herself comfortably to await Kukutux' return.
pregnancy (9/9)