Redsand Canyon Machitís
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Arsenio sniffed after @Towhee.

The mercenary thought that it would be good to have a companion with him on an extended border patrol. He thought that he might venture outside of the canyon and into the territories beyond. The two of them had already journeyed to the north to find Alys and her family pack. Arsenio did not think that she would mind a quick trek.

Padding after her scent, he believed that he was drawing closer. The man lifted his head and scanned for a sign of Towhee’s dark shape cut against the redstone walls of the canyon.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Standing stiffly in the stony bypass between Shadow and Spotted Eagle Mountains, Towhee squinted into the hollow down below. When she sensed someone approaching, she turned swiftly, ready to bare her teeth. But it was only Arsenio.

I think there might be wolves living in the hollow, she said, pointedly sniffing the air then looking at his face, wondering if he knew anything about it.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The red-furred wolf approached her and peered down to the hollow that she referenced with squinted eyes. He sniffed at the wind, curious. From Mereo, there would be no scents that he could distinguish from that of their own and the wilderness that surrounded them.

Let’s go see, hm? the man asked of her, turning to face the dark-furred woman. Arsenio had trekked with Towhee into unfamiliar terrain before. This excursion would not bother him. If there were wolves looking to settle in the hollow, it was best that the soldiers of Mereo meet them.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He suggested they go see for themselves, to which Towhee replied, Okay. She made to start walking, when a thought hit her and she voiced it aloud, Does Mereo not care if wolves decide to set up shop so close to the canyon? Back in my days as a leader, we would’ve viewed them as infringing, a threat. We would’ve sought to chase them out, so we don’t have to worry about sharing resources. But that doesn’t seem like the Imperator’s way, she continued, thinking of Alys and her family in the vale.

But Arsenio had been with Germanicus longer and probably shared a closer camaraderie with and deeper understanding of him. Towhee looked to him, wondering if he could corroborate. She might have to overrule her own history and instincts to fall in line with Mereo’s policy on these matters, but that was nothing particularly new.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio shrugged at her question. It hadn’t really been something he had discussed with their Imperator. Germanicus’ company was easy in a different way. They could discuss the work of soldiers or talk on personal matters with the same ease.

I do not like it, myself. Germanikos is a diplomat.

The mercenary glanced toward Towhee with a curious eye.

If they are friendly and open to Mereo’s intentions, I do not believe he would push against their group. But then, what did he know of the Imperator’s wishes? Arsenio liked to think that he had learned the Roman’s ways. Germanicus still surprised him. On the matter of another pack settling near to their outpost, Arsenio was not certain.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Arsenio said several different things that caught her a bit by surprise. Had he always used the Imperator’s given name? Did he not consider himself a diplomat? He was pretty damn skilled in that department, yet he confessed he didn’t like the idea of neighbors darkening their doorstep. Towhee found herself really starting to appreciate the guy.

And, well, I’ll follow his lead on that. It’s just not what I would’ve expected, I guess, Towhee replied with her usual candor. Picking up the pace a bit, she thought aloud, Alys stopped by just the other day, desperate for recruits. Maybe if we find squatters in the hollow, we should send them her way.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio laughed.

He surprises me, too. The man is good at hiding away his thoughts until it is opportune. It was probably a fair skill for the Imperator to have, leading an outpost of soldiers and their wives. The mercenary did not see anything wrong with the way Germanicus ruled his group. The redstone figure still felt that he owed the Roman.

Padding alongside Towhee, Arsenio wondered what they might find in the hollow. Thoughts of the Saints fluttered through his mind. He was not itching for a fight, not so close to the borders of their home. Arsenio could only hope that they would be met by friendly folk.

How many did you smell? The man was sure to look at her when he spoke. He did not forget her deafness.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I’m not really sure, Towhee admitted. I just smelled piss on the wind and it didn’t belong to anybody I know. I figure if they’re passing through the area, that’s one thing. But if they’re making a point to pee on stuff, then…

They had officially ventured to the ridge between the canyon to the north and the hollow to the south. Towhee stood tall, peering down into the small combe. It was similar to the canyon and the vale, though something—something mundane, like the angle of the sun—suddenly reminded her of the distant strath. She shuddered a bit.

Do we want to howl or something? she wondered aloud, eyes darting to Arsenio’s face. Only he would be able to keep an ear out for replies, but if someone was trying to claim it, it would be reckless to treat this any differently than a potential border.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Hmm, the mercenary hummed in thought. No, the idea of someone passing through and marking close enough for Mereo to smell did not sit comfortably with him. Towhee was right. Arsenio thought that it was best they check to see if these wolves were passing through, or if they had intentions to stay.

Picking across rough stone, the red-furred figure drew up beside the warrior woman and scanned the area ahead of them. She asked if they should howl. It was the best way to draw attention to where they were, and Arsenio thought it would be the most likely to lure pack wolves from within. He glanced back toward her and smiled.

Give it a loud one. I’ll keep an ear out, he said.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
“Give it a loud one,” Arsenio said and Towhee smirked. She had never heard herself, naturally, but she’d been told she sounded like a goose being brutally murdered via strangulation. Poor guy had no idea what was coming.

Tossing back her head, she sent up a booming call, announcing themselves and requesting an audience with any wolves currently inhabiting the hollow. There was no way anyone in the entire Sunspires could miss it. Hell, they probably heard it over in the flat lands and the valley too.

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Towhee’s call was loud, that was certain. If there were wolves in the hollow, they would have certainly heard it. Arsenio squinted, gazing into the distant terrain with a stiff posture. His ears stood to draw in any answer they might receive. Nothing but the wind met him.

You were loud, he said with a snicker to the warrior woman. But there is no answer.

The mercenary wondered if she wished to venture deeper into the hollow. If there were wolves there, Towhee and Arsenio could sniff them out. Perhaps they were not inclined to answering calls. The mercenary did not mind meeting them face-to-face.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He commended her on the strength of her call, or at least that’s how Towhee chose to take it. But Arsenio said there was no reply. She frowned thoughtfully, gazing into the hollow. Perhaps she had been mistaken.

But she couldn’t shake the feeling. Sus, she murmured, then met Arsenio’s eye. She could see the cogs turning and wondered, What are you thinking?

Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I think we should wait a few days. If their scent is still upon the wind, we should scout into the hollow and find them.

Arsenio knew that Germanicus would want a report of anyone living in the nearby area. He would not want them to be caught unawares. The mercenary wondered if waiting was unwise, though. There was a chance that the wolves Towhee had scented in the secluded territory had been passing through, that they were seeking a temporary place to nestle. He only did not want to find out that another pack was forming upon the edge of Mereo’s reach.

We should tell the Imperator. Better to save their tails than to deal with the consequences that could arrive later on.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Arsenio didn’t want to press on today. Towhee concurred with that, though his suggestion made her pause. If there really were wolves setting up camp in the hollow, then traipsing into their new home wouldn’t go over well. It would likely start a territorial dispute. Towhee wouldn’t mind getting involved in such things, though she thought Arsenio was right: Germanicus wouldn’t want that.

Definitely, she said, assuming Arsenio would take word of it himself to the Imperator. He was the stronger diplomat, after all. Ready to head home when you are, she tacked on after a moment, pivoting to begin the climb back toward the canyon.

Figured you can wrap it or just sent it to the archives! :)