Sun Mote Copse architect
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
376 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Private 
Seal’s Mom and Da had floated their news by their daughter: they planned to take a long trip beyond the Copse. Her little brother, Skipjack, grew more adventerous by the day, despite his lack of sight. Seal knew it would be a good oppertunity for him to explore the vast wilderness with the support of their parents….

Would Otter go too? she wondered.

It would be very weird without the Laird and Lady of the Copse, Seal thought.

Then, she heard @Towhee’s call. It was as if her grandmother could read minds!

Seal set off to meet her and followed the direction of her howl.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
After speaking with her youngest granddaughter, Towhee decided it wouldn’t be a bad idea to talk to each of the copse’s members one-on-one. She decided to seek out Seal next, curious what the yearling made of her family member’s imminent departure. Would she be tempted to go with them? Or would she step up to help her grandmother look after the copse in their stead?

She searched briefly, then decided to go ahead and call from the crest of Njord’s Craigh. Towhee folded her haunches to wait, orange eyes scanning the vast woodland at her feet. As soon as she spotted movement in the trees, her gaze fixed, lips already twitching into a smile.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
376 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
The trees thinned until the craigh, overlooking the Cope’s eastern vita, came into view. There, her grandmother waited and Seal couldn’t help but imagine Towhee as the great guardian of the forest.

-“Hi Grandma,”- Seal said and signed as sat beside her elder.

A slight breeze carried an pleasant, earthy scent. -“Ah, it’s good tae be home with you all,”- she said whimsically.

A pause. -“My mom and da told me they’re planning a trip with Skip?”- she proded. Her brown eyes searched Towhee’s expression. Surely, this was why she called.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee gazed fondly at Seal as the young woman approached, making a point to sign as well as speak. She always appreciated the gesture and demonstrated said appreciation by gathering her granddaughter in a quick side hug. Towhee squeezed her close for a solid five seconds before releasing her.

The yearling’s mention of being home hinted at the choice Seal might make. It also made Towhee realize she wanted her to decide to stay here. It was selfish, perhaps, but she was an able-bodied wolf who could help them keep their claim in her parents’ stead. It seemed rather fitting to her.

Nodding to acknowledge Seal’s statement, Towhee said, And unless you plan to go with them, I think you should step up as an esquire until their return. You and Jr.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
376 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Seal gladly leaned into the hug.

But doubt flashed across her expression when Towhee suggested she stepped up into leadership besides Towhee Jr.

-“Esquire? Me?”- Seal balked. There was a notion in her mind of what a leader looked like, and she didn’t consider her to fit the part. Her parents, Sialuk, Moonwoman, Rodyn… Young wolves like TJ and Frolic seemed to have the stalwart bravery and charisma for such a position… but Seal’s self image was a doughy, sweet-natured helper. Why would any wolf put their trust in her?

Not that their ranks were especially flush. They only had her younger sister, Otter, to look after.

-“You think I’d do a good job?”- she asked.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Yes, you, Towhee replied, swallowing a chortle. Yes, I honestly think you’d do your parents proud. And it feels right to me, that one of their direct descendants should be represented while they’re away. Jr will bring some training and experience to complement you, then I’ll be there for whatever support either one of you needs. If Otter stays with us, we can be the role models she needs.

Who else was there? Towhee could only think of Fennec and Nyssa. She hadn’t spent much if any time with either one of them lately, though she didn’t discount them. They would need every hand on deck to look after the copse, regardless of titles.

Now would be a great time for any or all of your brothers and sisters to magically reappear, she mused, but we’ll be okay, either way. There’s definitely cons to a small village but there’s plenty of pros too.

Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
376 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Gonna wrap this!

With Towhee’s encouragement, Seal’s expression became imbibed with resolve. The desire to live up to her parent’s proud image of their daughter ignited a fire in the young woman’s heart – naive as it was.

“Alright,”
the slate and tawny colored wolf agreed. She took a depe breath, as if preparing to carry something heavy.

And her brothers and sisters? Seal wished the would come home, too.

“A small village is good,”
she agreed. After all, it would be less for the new-esquire to oversee. Less to mess up.

She gave her warrior grandmother a smile and tried to be strong.