Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
She didn’t sleep a wink that night. By sunup, she was a red-eyed mess and fairly certain her wound was infected. She limped out of #1A and made it to the common area. Towhee didn’t feel like she could go much further.

The Redhawk didn’t know if she should call for @Aquene. She really hoped those two weren’t actually pissed at her, though it wouldn’t surprise her if Kallik, at the very least, held it against her. He hadn’t added any disclaimers when agreeing to it, though he kind of seemed like the type to hold a grudge.

Grunting, Towhee took a seat and looked down at her wound. It looked gnarly. She really was impressed by the Scutarius’s reflexes. He’d been on top of Aquene and then on top of her in the blink of an eye. Kudos, kid, she thought, raising an eyebrow slightly as she continued inspecting her foreleg, rotating it back and forth.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
waddles maxim on in here

maxim watched towhee from a distance at first. mainly because their apartments were right next to each other. he noticed that she was...injured.

how? who?

he stirred with a frown on his face as he approached her. rounded wide to her side so that she could have a chance to see him. maybe she would chase him off, if she wished to be alone with her...godawful injury.

learing ptero from towhee. words that are signed will be portrayed -like this-
my monsters are real; they're trained how to kill
660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene had taken a late morning, affording herself that at the very least after their busy night. Still, it was early in the morning for most as she stretched, making her way out of the den and towards the common area. Much of her irritation with the praefectus had faded. Looking back it was almost funny… almost. The woman yawned before a scent caught her attention. She made her way over with a frown on her features.

Oh, that wasn’t good. She needed something more than what Aquene had given her. She did not bother with words because Towhee was focused on her leg and would not be able to hear her regardless, instead moving in front of her as she started to look at it, sniffing it before frowning. She hoped the action had caught the woman’s attention. “You need further healing…  we should make our way to the tablinum.” She stated softly, the usual kind and caring demeanor having returned despite her outburst the last time she had seen the woman. Maxim's presence was noted, and at first ignored. "Maxim, can you assist me in helping her back to my healing alcove?"
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She glimpsed a swarthy figure out of the corner of her eye and raised her head, thinking it might be the healer. It was Maxim. Towhee frowned, her head whipping sideways when the medic herself materialized a moment later. She caught something about the tablinum.

I cleaned it as much as I could, the Redhawk muttered, trying to prepare herself for the long trek across the canyon, but… The joke—“your man must have a filthy mouth”—died on her tongue as Towhee sighed wearily.

She glanced at Maxim, offering him a noncommittal shrug. She didn’t really need his help. Towhee would just keep her weight off the wounded leg and hop like an overgrown rabbit. But she wasn’t opposed if he wanted to come along and provide moral support.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maxim felt...out of place.

frowned at by towhee, mildly ignored by the healer. he was uncertain of what all had transpired that he had apparently missed.

he would come along, but was happy to simply shut up for once.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She had not meant to ignore Maxim in such a manner, she was merely hyper focused on the praefectus whom she had sent away with a poultice meant to prevent any form of infection from happening. She scolded herself. If she had taken more care in cleaning the wound rather than letting the hot and bothered nature of her sex life get in the way then perhaps this would not be happening. “It’s in it’s early stages. We can clean in detail at the tablinum and retreat the wound for infection. The poultice I used must not have been strong enough.” She noted with a frown, an apologetic tone that would fall upon Towhee’s deaf ears but hopefully show enough on her features to get the gist.

She did not want to see the woman have to hop or hobble away, instead wanting to speed up the process so that she might be in less pain. Cleaning the wound would not be present, as Glaukos and Kallik had already learned from their own previous injuries, but it was necessary and she could gift something for the pain beforehand. “Спасибо, Максим.” She offered in their mother tongue to the Russian as he agreed to assist.
Aquene speaks both русский язык and Common. She does not carry a Russian accent. Her knowledge of Russian is not common knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Aquene looked apologetic as she explained how her initial effort must not have staved off infection well enough. Towhee frowned and replied, It’s not your bad. She still didn’t regret the ambush. No matter how much her leg pained her or how much those two might disagree, Towhee had found it both entertaining and useful.

As they began to make their way toward their distant destination, she said conversationally, Do you know how long I was planning that? We agreed to an ambush, like, way back when I first joined. I told him I wouldn’t blame him if he used teeth, she added with a dry laugh. Tell you what, Aquene, you are probably one of the safest wolves in the world with that dude hitched to you.

Towhee glanced over to see if Maxim was still with them. If he’d said anything, she hadn’t caught it. But there was something reticent about his presence today. She cocked an eyebrow at him. Sometimes, she wondered if he had a crush on her, but Towhee couldn’t quite bring herself to believe it. She was basically an old lady compared to everybody else here, except for Rue.

So, she continued, turning back toward Aquene, aside from my little disruption, how’s married life treating you? Towhee wasn’t privy to the circumstances and had no idea when those two had decided to tie the knot. The only reason she knew anything about it was the simple fact that they lived in the married housing now.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maxim was still...here. existing. providing the bare minimum for towhee because despite bone exposure in the leg, she was still pretty damn strong.

Конечно. he offered to the medic as he settled near towhee. warm under her gaze.

he was merely here by request, he would let the women chat as the pleased. apparently about marriage.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
He remained a man of few words, and so once again Towhee drew her focus and her conversation. She snorted about that as well before she joined in with her own defense. “He might have consented to an ambush at any time but I made no such commitment. A little warning would have been nice. I can keep a secret, I promise.” She had been left in a compromising position as well before chuckling. “I’m glad you think so. I happen to agree.” He made her feel safe, and that was something she had never experienced before coming to Mereo.

She observed the way that Towhee eyed Maxim, and the way he regarded her but made no comment of it. It was not her place to inquire, at least not in his presence though it looked like Towhee might have comments of her own once they were in private. She did not feel comfortable discussing her sex life or Towhee’s interruption of it with the other man present. Perhaps that made her a prude. “Apart from your disruption, it’s been good.” It had not started in the best of circumstances, but she felt they were both making the best of it. “I am happy, and that is something I haven’t truly been in a long time.” Perhaps ever, and it was strange for her to admit that aloud.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee was too tired to roll her eyes, though she wondered if Kallik and Aquene knew the definition of the word “ambush.” The healer’s point was valid otherwise. Tiredly, the Redhawk reached out to nip fondly at the woman’s shoulder, a friendly, apologetic gesture she hoped would dispel any remaining pique.

Good, the Redhawk said simply. I’m glad. She knew it sounded like a platitude but she meant it. She liked Aquene. She liked Kallik too, despite how ornery he seemed all the time. Towhee was truly happy for them. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Kallik with a baby carriage…? she added teasingly, ignoring the slight twinge she felt when she realized this meant her own aspirations were likely even further out of reach than before.

That made her glance over at Maxim again. Everyone’s getting hitched out here, she remarked. And I’m over here, #ForeverAlone. Towhee snorted. Maybe others would pity her, yet the last thing Towhee needed was a man. With that said, she still toyed with some of the ideas her conversation with Germanicus had put into her head. Cue a sleepy eyebrow wiggle at Maxim.

They were getting close to the tablinum now, which was good, because Towhee felt like she might fall asleep standing up. I’m just gonna… she said, oozing unceremoniously to the ground, her bad leg outstretched for easy access.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he huffed, at towhee mostly, playful in its intent.

everybody, pfft. it was not true, but he knew that she likely knew that. although the odds of marriage for maxim seemed to decline.

did he even wish for marriage? perhaps not, but he knew the rules. that, ah, anything relating to relations was reserved to marriage. which meant maxim would likely need to pursue it if he ever wished for anything with anyone. hrm.

things he kept to himself, as they settled towhee down.

and he would sit near her. content to watch the medic work.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
The nip brought a warm smile to the healer’s features. There was no ire or ill-will, none remaining despite her earlier irritation at the very least. She was glad. Admittedly, the words made her feel far better about her situation. Surely Towhee of all wolves would have voiced if she thought that the relationship was doomed to burn in the fires, right? She didn’t know what a filter was and spoke merely whatever crossed her mind it seemed like. She snorted and shook her head. “No, I still don’t think that’s in the cards for the season. I don’t think that we are ready for that.” As fun as their nightly activities could be, neither of them were ready to be parents yet.

A raised eyebrow and a look of amusement crossed her once more. “I wouldn’t say alone. The small army of children of yours that have appeared at the borders alone suggests that you could never be alone.” She reminded the woman with a friendly smile. She’d heard about at least some of the Redhawk children visiting the borders through her husband and his presence. They talked about their days nightly and so whenever he stumbled upon one, she found out about it.

She stretched out and Aquene got to work, selecting a few needles of scrub pine as she moved forward and placed them in front of Towhee. “You’re going to want to chew on those and give them time to take effect first. Just ask Glaukos or my husband, cleaning out wounds is not a fun experience if you’re on the receiving end.”
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Maxim took a seat next to her and Towhee rolled her head to shoot him a weary smile. Otherwise, she kept her eyes on Aquene, so she caught it when the medic told her to chew on some needles in preparation. Resigning herself, she lapped up the fragrant needles and began masticating.

Every single one of my kids has left me at some point or another, Towhee said almost conversationally, as they do, I guess. I love them and I’m always happy when they’re around, although I wouldn’t say it’s the same thing. Point taken, though. I also have the rest of… well, yous guys. She laughed wearily and used her good foreleg to gesture at both Aquene, Maxim and the rest of Mereo in general.

She lapsed into thoughtful silence then, letting Aquene work. Her dry eyes raised thoughtfully to Maxim again. The dude looked so young, though maybe that was because Towhee felt more aware of her age lately. She remembered what Germanicus had pointed out about age. That made her fall down into the rabbit hole of her memories about that whole conversation. She remembered resenting the idea of even asking permission to breed back in Moonglow, and now she was consider giving up her independence and rank for the small chance of a “yes.”

Towhee shook her head and pointedly looked away from Maxim. Not so long ago, she’d been convinced she didn’t even want more children. She wanted to get back to that place. Couldn’t she just be content, playing aunt to Rue’s kids—and maybe even the others born here—and enjoying the company of her older kids and, at some point, their kids? It was just the season messing with her head, but the Redhawk believed in mind over matter.

A sharp jab of pain jolted her out of her thoughts with a hiss. Towhee wanted to yank her leg out of reach but she made herself hold still and stay put.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maxim, still, did not know his place here. aquene did not need him any further and none of the looks spared his way seemed to suggest he should leave.

in fact, towhee kept looking at him — and he could easily reduce himself into believing it was because she did not want to witness the sight of her injury. which was a stupid conclusion when she was an esteemed mercenary. and so he knew that was likely not why she kept gazing.

which left the worst question of all — why?

he shifted in his spot when she finally looked away. eyes bounced between the fiery hues on her back to the thoughtful work of the medic.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene listened with a soft hum but did not agree with the premise that she made. “But they come back to visit. They live their own lives but love you enough to return to you.” She pointed out with a softer look in her eyes. “I know of many who would prefer their parents simply disappeared from their lives to never be seen again, myself included.” The other woman had done something right. “And you do have us.” She stated again with her warmer smile. Even though she doubted her mate shared as warm of an opinion of the woman as she did, it didn’t change the fact that Towhee had genuinely brought a spark of joy to her life through her obnoxious behavior and crude commentary.

She carefully began to detail the wound, the beginning parts of infection being weeded out before they had any chance to fester further. There was no time for such things. Water from the small pool at the back assisting her venture to wash out the wound regularly to see where infection might remain. “He really did a number defending me, didn’t he?” She teased lightly with a hint of amusement. She knew that Kallik would always defend her with his life. He had made it abundantly clear.

The other Russian lingered quietly in the corner and simply observed though she noticed the glances Towhee made in his direction. She made no effort to talk whenever the woman’s gaze was not on her. “Hold still. The worst of it is over. I just have to redress the wound and wrap it in cobwebs to assure infection does not return.” She explained her process carefully. She moved over, selecting yarrow in order to err on the side of caution. She remained troubled that the infection had persisted despite her initial treatment.

As she always did, she ground it into a poultice on willow bark, applying it carefully to the wound in a paste-like manner before wrapping it carefully in cobwebs. “How is the pain?”
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Pretty bad, Towhee was forced to admit, grimacing. But don’t blame yourself or even Kallik. I don’t. She inhaled and exhaled a few times to steady herself through the pain. No ragrats, she joked under her breath.

Circling back to one of the healer’s earlier comments, Towhee seized upon it in an effort to distract herself. You’re not wrong about my kids, but we were comparing them to partners. I don’t think you’d like it much if Kallik wandered in and out of your life at random, eh? She chuckled, then promptly stilled when that sent shooting pains up her leg.

What about you, Maxim? Towhee queried suddenly, still trying to keep her mind off the aching. What’re your thoughts on marriage? And children? And white picket fences?

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
finally, he was spoken to. in a way that stilled his heart for a moment. gaze bounced to the medic before it returned to towhee.

i would like it very much one day. marriage and children. he admitted, softer than he usually was. marriage and children were a sensitive subject, no? especially faced with a newly wed and one woman who complained of being alone.

children running around would be cute, no?

he smiled genuinely, eyes floating off of towhee and to his own paws.

it would be nice to have little ones to pass along history and training to, to have a wife he could dote on unabashedly.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
She couldn’t help but smirk and snort softly at her joke, barely catching it. She did not blame her husband or herself, even if she felt pity. It was the woman ho had charged in on their marital bed. Aquene hummed softly and shrugged. “That is fair. I nearly went stircrazy when he was gone for a week.” She admitted, though it had been quite busy in the meantime with Dimitri’s attack on the borders and her subsequent recovery. She was certain it would have been worse had her own life not gotten so hectic as to offer a distraction.

The attention was turned to the other Russian, and he voiced that it was something he was interested in. She hummed and nodded. “They would, though I don’t know how the Imperator would handle being overrun with puppies… he’s always said Mereo was never designed to house civilians or children.” Clearly, civilians persisted and children were on the way, but that didn’t mean that Germanicus wanted bundles running about and taking away from their resources. “I’d worry for them… training as soldiers from such a young age. I’ve seen what it can do to a pup.” She voiced softly, her voice falling quieter and more reflective before she settled down, content to simply converse until either of them felt like taking their leave.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Maybe because of her recent conversation with Glaukos, Maxim’s answer actually caught her by surprise. She let out another laugh at his “cute” remark, instantly regretting it when the pain jolted her.

Before Towhee could tell him all about what children were really like, Aquene responded to him. The Praefectus turned her eyes to the healer’s lips, following along. Her opinions caused Towhee’s brow to furrow thoughtfully. They were valid concerns, to be sure.

Ayuh, Towhee grunted, Germ—the Imperator and I were talking about logistics just the other day. When I was a leader, I only permitted two or three litters per year ‘cause I didn’t want to risk straining our resources. You never know how big a litter’s gonna be, either… I had one the year before last, then four last year… Six, actually, but she never talked about them.

Towhee sported a thousand yard stare for a few beats before blinking and looking at Maxim. With so many couples, there’s always the possibility of sister outposts. Germanicus didn’t think a romantic pairing should found such a thing, but Towhee made no mention of that. More packs means more room for pups and whatnot, she finished with a shrug.

It seemed Aquene had done everything she could for Towhee’s wound. The Redhawk did not look forward to the trip back to her den, though she desperately needed the rest if the painkillers would allow it. Slowly, she began to push upright, making sure to keep her weight off the injured leg.

Thank you, Aquene. I’m gonna go see about a nap, she told her two comrades, sounding particularly weary.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
maxim had essentially become a ball of confusion from all of this. yes, children were good, but apparently not for a place like mereo. at least not a lot of them?

he didn't understand and it stirred something deep within his gut.

now that towhee was heading out, he saw no need for his further presence. so he'd offer a nod to the two as well.

dipping away to clear his head with a patrol.

sister outpost. it would linger with him for some time.

660 Posts
Ooc — Tasha
Medic
Midwife
Aquene's exit/fade for all intents and purposes
Aquene listened, noting the way the first name almost slipped out and Aquene raised an eyebrow. She knew that Towhee and Ruenna were good friends, but were they good enough friends that Towhee got to use Germanicus’ actual name? She hummed and shrugged. “It’s true, though as pregnancy progresses you can make predictions based on the way a mother carries.” Even then, however, it wasn’t an exact science or something to be controlled, but then again Towhee already knew that. She had been a mother man times.

The mention of sister outposts and she wrinkled her nose. “I worry from a medical standpoint. I am the only healer here; with Malila gone, there would be no healer to help at a second outpost… at least, not one I trust to know enough of what they are doing to look after those who came from Mereo.” She considered them family, true family unlike her biological family. She only wanted what was best and healthy for all of them. She nodded as she began to push upright and announced her leave. “Yes, please rest. If you need anything further you know where I’ll be… here, in the tablinum.” Once again stressing the location she could be found but in a more teasing manner. She did not want the woman crossing the threshold of her and Kallik’s den again to suffer more injuries. Maxim took his leave after her and Aquene turned to tend to her herbs.