Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
There were a thousand places she could go in search of solace. Towhee chose a destination at random, although she supposed Coconut Grove wasn’t an entirely arbitrary choice. She reflected briefly on her head space then versus now, then did her best to shove it all aside. She’d told Rodyn she needed to clear her head and it wasn’t a lie.

She could think of no more effective way to distract herself than to yeet herself into the waves. Besides, Towhee desperately needed the bath. She waded into the ocean, screaming a little as the frigid waves broke against her legs. She let exactly one crash over her head before she paddled back to shore, dripping and shivering but feeling a little better for her saltwater cleanse.

-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,598 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox didn't immediately return to Moontide. He knew he could have, maybe even should have, but something led him further down the coast. Call it intuition. Call it happenstance. Call it the writer wishing for him to find his distraught sister. Once he caught Towhee's scent, Phox knew right where his paws were going to lead him whether he consented or not. He'd been spending so much time with Heph (and in Moonglow checking in on Peregrine), he realized he'd neglected one of the most important people in his life.

-Hey sis,- he said once she exited the frigid waters. -Trying to freeze yourself to death?- he asked with a quizzical raise of his brow. He didn't imagine that had been a pleasant dip at all.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She looked up and Phox was there. Towhee rubbed some saltwater out of her eyes, then squinted at her brother. It was good to see him, even though the mere sight of him made her stomach hurt. Was he going to be disappointed if she flew the coop earlier than they’d planned?

-“Did Rodyn send you?”- she couldn’t help but wonder, though the expression on his face gave her her answer. -“I was losing my mind in Moontide,”- she told him bluntly in the next breath, too ground down to do anything but rip off the bandage.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,598 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
-What? No. I just had a feeling...- he said, and Towhee confirmed in her next sentence that his feeling had been correct. Considering all these years they'd spent around one another, it was no surprise that they could read one another so easily. -Damn, that bad?- he asked. -Just in Moontide, or being attached to Moontide at all?- he queried. It wasn't totally out of the question that she might just want to stretch her legs a bit, since she hadn't come to the big hunt.

Still, it had him wondering. There had been a few times here and there when they hadn't been up each other's butts, but it was almost always because one or the other had something else to do. Phox was off losing a leg, chasing after his dead wife, etc. And sure, they had moved away from Epoch, but they'd at least done that together.

Now, of course, there was the added complication of Heph. Not that he minded her (quite the opposite), but Phox once again found himself in the position of wanting to please both his sister and the other interested party. She had said she would give it all up, but Phox knew he couldn't really ask that of her.
player preferences
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She nodded solemnly at his first question, exhaling on a sigh. His next one caused Towhee to glance away for a long beat. She’d been keeping her feelings to herself for a long time. She needed to tell her brother the truth she’d unearthed during her conversation with Rodyn, much as she hated to disappoint him.

-“I’ve been unhappy since we got here. There,”- she corrected, eyes drifting to the plateau before finally settling back on his familiar features. -“I tried to stick it out, especially since I didn’t—and still don’t—know exactly what’s been eating at me. I’ve just felt so useless… it’s hard to explain.”-

She paused to collect her thoughts a moment, taking the opportunity to step away from Phox and shake some excess water from her coat. She really ought to keep moving, she noted. The wind was rather chilling, especially with soaking wet fur. Towhee motioned at her brother, inviting him to walk inland.

I still want to be there for you and Heph. I just don’t think I can live there in a full-time capacity anymore. I’m sorry.

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,598 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox's mouth made an O shape as Towhee spoke, disappointed in himself for not picking up on her unease more quickly. He'd been too wrapped up in getting to know Heph that he'd clearly not helped Towhee settle in there. Or maybe she just wasn't fit to settle in anywhere anymore?

He winced as some of the droplets hit is own coat during her shake, but he couldn't have been nearly as cold as she was right now. She had to be downright freezing. Her confession came next, and Phox nodded, contemplating what it might mean.

So you'd go back to traveling? he asked, making sure she had a clear view of his face. He couldn't deny that he would miss the hell out of her, but Phox also had a good feeling about Heph. He wanted to know happiness again, even if that meant that he and Towhee weren't hip-to-hip. Was that sort of happiness possible without her here?

He really didn't have any right to tell her not to leave, so he didn't.
player preferences
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Yeah, she replied, a simple answer for a simple question, even though it felt so much more complicated. I promise I’ll favor you in the rotation, though, Towhee added, feeling like it wasn’t enough.

It was all she could offer, without sacrificing her own happiness. Towhee reminded herself of that as she hustled a bit more. As guilty as she felt, she also felt better already, which paradoxically made her feel even guiltier. Her head shook at her own inexplicable emotions.

It’s fucking crazy, isn’t it? she said a moment later, the question rhetorical. Once upon a time, I was steadfastly a pack wolf who could never imagine I’d end up like this. Shit’s wild.

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,598 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox tried not to frown, but he really couldn't help himself. I'm gonna miss you, but I get it, he said. There were times when he'd been unhappy and had to leave. That's just is. He let the sand pass below him as they moved forward, wondering how long it would be before he saw her again. Where would she go first? Would she check in on Figment, too? Maybe she'd even run into Fennec out there somewhere.

And I was pretty sure this thing with Heph wasn't going to go anywhere, he added with a laugh. I do like her, though. I think it's worth sticking around to find out where things lead with us. It's so easy being around her. Phox didn't want to gush... but also, he kinda did want to gush.
player preferences
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,983 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her brother said he understood. Towhee’s eyes studied his face. She was glad he wasn’t sending her on a guilt trip, though she wondered if he was more upset than he seemed. She hoped not.

Well, that’s because you’re an idiot, she jabbed affectionately when he brought up Heph. You two are a fantastic match. I don’t say that lightly, bruh. I wholeheartedly support you pursuing your happy ending with her. She’s the real deal this time.

Her eyes caught on his again, giving Phox a meaningful look. It would be hard, being away from both of them and missing out on this flowering romance. But they had one another, so that was good. And she would be back often, so help her.

If—no, when—you two tie the knot, I want to be the first to know, okay? Even if it requires hiring a messenger who has to run all over creation to find me.