Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
All Welcome 
there was an odd little orange flower growing in the center of moonspear. kuktutux had been drawn by its color and hardiness, but she had never seen such a plant before. therefore, she had no word for it.

her mother had taught her to test such things. the girl nipped a bit of the leaf, holding it carefully upon her tongue as she wanted for the tell-tale signal of poison.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
these violent delights
402 Posts
Ooc — Laur
A few days had passed now since the attack in the Glen, and both Osiris and Dacio seemed to be recovering well. While she wouldn't admit it aloud, she worried far more for her nephew than the freckled outsider, though both got the care they needed. Their wounds were deep but treatable, and infection was staved off with herbs, washing, and strict instructions to not touch the lacerations.

But the herbs in particular were of paramount importance, and so Lyra frequently roamed the slopes of their home, ever in search for more. Her hunt today took her midway up the mountain where she came across the slim, pale figure of Kukutux.

She hadn't spent much time with the girl; she was quiet and withdrawn, almost an enigma to the Ostrega. Still, her interest in plants was a common ground between the two of them, so Lyra strode towards her, head tilted quizzically as she watched the other carefully nip at a strange, orange flower. She stopped a few paces away, watching with an unspoken question upon her features: is it dangerous?
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
no burning. no tingling. kuktutux took a breath and swallowed the bite, testing it again for the nausea it might cause. nothing yet, but it would take some time to be sure.

the shadow of another fell across the duck, and she turned to see lyra, healer with same-notched ear. identical to hydra, as jarilo had said. "i greet you," kukutux breathed shyly, dipping her head in the other's direction.

"i do not know what this plant is," the little bird went on, returning gaze to her find. "but it does not seem to be poisonous. i will test it again when the spring comes to us."
these violent delights
402 Posts
Ooc — Laur
When the smaller girl greeted her in her quiet and odd way of speaking, Lyra simply flicked an ear in response, watching as she then turned back to the plant. There was no bitter scent in the air indicating an obviously dangerous herb, though the healer did know of some which held even sweet scents but were still best to be avoided. However, so far, it didn't seem that this one was poisonous.

Time would tell for certain.

Padding forward slowly, Lyra eyed what remained of the plant before looking to Kukutux critically. "You shouldn't test unknown herbs on yourself," she said, her tone strict yet tinged with concern. "Find smaller animals to try them on first — squirrels and birds, for example."
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
lyra moved forward, and kukutux faltered somewhat at the firmer edge to her tone. words leapt to her lips! — it was always how things had been done! — but she did not speak them. instead, a nod she gave. hurt pride spiraled in her consciousness, spared from her gaze as she cast it toward the earth.

"i did not know that was possible," the duck admitted against the personal sting. "will you tell me how it can be done?" whatever she might feel now, kukutux was aware there was much to learn of the new plants in the teekon, and their ways.
these violent delights
402 Posts
Ooc — Laur
If she felt any guilt for causing a flare of self-consciousness within Kukutux, Lyra didn't show it. Her sharp gaze remained upon the woman even as she cast her own down towards the ground. She was young, though she presumed still old enough to know not to eat any old plant poking up from the earth. As she asked for advice, Lyra moved closer to take in the scent of the flower, noting it was unlike any she had encountered upon the mountain so far. Foolish though were actions were, Kukutux was lucky to stumble across such a find.

"Hiding it in their food is best," she started, pulling away and standing up straight. "Let it soak into a puddle, mixed into crushed up berries...even hidden in a carcass if you're wanting to test on coyotes." She paused, glancing sidelong at the pallid woman for a moment. "How long have you been studying plants?"
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
despite herself, kukutux found the knowledge fascinating, and nodded as lyra spoke. she would commit it to memory, though the idea of using another creature for her tests perturbed the girl. however, as the spirit often whispered, she was not upon the isle. she was within moonspear. she must adapt to this place and its ways.

"since i could follow my mother," the duck answered softly. "but those were not plants that are here. i must learn a new ... list of them." she supposed jarilo might teach her. had he not said he too had known the green ways for some time. "i do not have a word for this," she went on, gesturing at the blossom and then back to lyra. she was lovely but stern, and in many ways kukutux felt that was the general demeanour of women here.