Redsand Canyon I swear my mind blows my mind
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
backdated to when they got back - May 29? i think?

As soon as he heard the news that @Towhee had given birth, he made a beeline to her whelping den.

G'MA OH'EE! Killdeer called out, words muffled by the rabbit clenched in his jaws as a gift to her. Then he realized he was probably being a little too loud for newborns, and promptly shut up, though his loping gait did not cease until he reached the mouth of her current home.

He placed the present on the ground, tasting blood from where he'd punctured the skin. His tongue lolled and eyes shone. He hadn't been this happy since before Fennec & Bronco had respectively brought their terrible news and then left.

New family members. His. . .uncles and/or aunts? It felt strange to think of them that way, them being so little and him so big, and his brow furrowed as he pondered on that while waiting for a reply, tail still wagging nonetheless in excitement.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The boys were back in town, according to the snippets of gossip Towhee caught while tucked in the healer’s den. She looked forward to seeing her brother and grandson, though any joy she felt was greatly tempered by her current predicament.

She tried cuddling her children after Aquene fed them, though it was only a matter of time before they woke and wanted to nurse. It tore her apart to stand out of reach and then carry them over to the medicus. As soon as they settled beside Siku and Nanuq, Towhee turned and stepped outside for some air.

Instead, she found Killdeer standing expectantly outside her own den a few doors down. In spite of how terrible she felt—mostly emotionally, though she was still physically wiped out too—she twitched her tail and woofed to him to get his attention. She waved him over.

I’m staying with Aquene in her den for a little bit, she said by way of greeting, reaching out to snuffle at Killer’s cheek. Would you like to meet your aunt and uncle? Towhee asked, mustering a soft smile.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He turned, surprised that Towhee wasn't, in fact, in her own den. It wasn't lost on him that she looked utterly exhausted, and he thrust the rabbit in her direction after giving her a quick nuzzle, insistent.

In a minute. Eat first, Killdeer said. Being with the soldiers over the past days had modulated his usual easygoing tone, especially when giving commands. He felt weird kinda sorta bossing his grandma around, but it was all out of love.

The young man sat back on his haunches, watching her quietly. The Mereo rumor mill had indicated two babies. He wondered if either would look like his old buddy, Caracal.

Of course, no one could ever replace the twerp, but. . .
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The command surprised a huff out of her. Maybe he’d heard about her difficulties? In any case, she had no desire to argue with him. Actually, she was glad to sit out here a bit longer, having a bite to eat and enjoying Killdeer’s company.

Sir, yessir, she quipped quietly, echoing his posture by taking a seat. Tell me about the trip, she requested, eyes staying on his face even as she bent down to nip at the rabbit he’d brought.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He laughed at her response, serious visage giving way to his usual boyish charm. He was pleased to see that she ate, and accepted her request with enthusiasm.

Akashingo is. . .much different from here, Killdeer explained, thinking back on the gold-and-red of the mesa. They eat berries, and lounge around. But their queen is dead, he added, and his face fell into a frown.

He shook his head. They say it was murder. But no one knows who did it.

After a few silent moments, Killdeer changed the subject. You said aunt and uncle? he asked, smiling a little more. What are their names?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She chewed as he spoke of Akashingo and its strange ways. Sitting around and eating berries didn’t sound terrible, though Towhee intuited there were much darker aspects to the kingdom on the mesa. She would never forget about the coyotes they kept as sex slaves there.

It seemed the mystery of the queen’s murder hadn’t been solved during the trip. But Killdeer changed the subject quickly after that. Towhee swallowed a delicious hunk of rabbit before sitting up a bit straighter and wiping at her mouth.

Jack and Leo, she replied. Using their nicknames seemed more fitting given the audience. I’d love it if you’d step in as an older brother figure to them, if that’s something you’d like to do, Towhee added.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Jack and Leo, he echoed, and grinned. Of course I would! I can be to them how Caracal was to me. . .

Killdeer's voice trailed off, and it was abundantly clear how much he missed the golden wolf. Still, life went on, and he was happy to provide to the newest generation.

His head tilted slightly. You seem tired, Killer remarked, his smile fading. Are you okay, Gramma?

He'd missed things in his trip to Akashingo. He should have stayed here with Towhee, save that his orders sent him with Germanicus. He knew she could take care of herself, but something was off.

Can I do anything for you? he asked earnestly.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
My thoughts exactly, Towhee replied with a warm smile when Killdeer mentioned his relationship with her wayward son.

She didn’t want to burden him with her struggles, though she appreciated it when her grandson asked after her. Towhee swallowed another mouthful of delicious rabbit meat and then let out a long breath through her nose.

Carrying, birthing… it took a lot out of me. My body’s not strong enough to feed them right now. That’s why I’m staying here, Towhee explained, a lump in her throat. But if I just take it easy and get plenty of nourishment, things should get better. So thank you for this, she said, pawing at the half-eaten carcass.

She continued eating in silence, though she did pause between bites to say, We can go inside and say hello whenever you’re ready.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He worried a lot about Towhee, but was glad that his small contribution could help in a way. He grinned, an expression that grew wider still as she mentioned meeting the aforementioned Jack and Leo.

I'm ready whenever you are, he promised, tail flagging happily behind him.

His own stomach rumbled, and he coughed in an attempt to cover the sound. It didn't really matter right now. Towhee and his new family were most important. He'd rustle up some grub later.

He cocked his head to the right. Lead the way?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Lots of incoming tags for reference and/or invitation. :)

She polished off the rest of the rabbit, then wiped at her mouth and said, Let me just… Without completing her sentence, Towhee pushed onto all fours and popped her head into the den to inform its residents that a guest was incoming.

With the all clear, Towhee waved Killdeer inside before stepping through the door herself. As much as she wanted to prise her pups from @Aquene’s side to introduce them as her pride and joy, they were still feeding and she didn’t dare disturb them.

Swallowing the slight lump in her throat, Towhee looked to Killer with a crooked smile while standing over the healer and introducing, This here’s @Leona and this is @Jack Snipe. And in case you haven’t met them, these are @Kallik’s and Aquene’s sons, @Siku and @Nanuq.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Killdeer's face lit like the sun upon seeing Towhee's new brood, nestled alongside Aquene's children. He didn't have any siblings of his own—and probably would never, at least with both parents involved—so it was like being able to hold a new baby brother or sister.

They're amazing, Gramma, he intoned, looking at her with some awe. I can't wait to see them grow up. His tail thumped quietly but happily behind him.

At least when Germanicus sent him on more missions in the future, he had this to come back to.

fade out here? since this is old <3