Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Towhee stole into the forest just east of the punishment pit, seeking out the stream that wound through the trees and taking a seat beside it. She stared pensively at the water as she mentally replayed the conversation she’d just had with @Phox.

He’d just returned from a foray to the seashore to visit Meerkat, simply to say “hi” but also to check in regarding the plans for a playdate. Towhee had eagerly anticipated his return with an update, though she had not expected for him to tell her, “Njord is gone and I think Meerkat’s depressed.” Out of anyone on this planet, Phox would know.

Now she dipped her toes in the cool water, thinking of her two eldest daughters and their recent heartbreaks. Meerkat had told Phox she would try to swing by Mereo for a visit in the near future, otherwise Towhee would probably be running up the coastline now to comfort her poor daughter, abandoned for the second time, left with three kids to raise on her own.

A restless energy compelled her back onto her feet, now heading due north toward the dirt arena. There wasn’t much she could do for Meerkat—like she’d told Fennec, only time would mend her wounds—and she knew her pack would have her back. In the meantime, Towhee would square up with the first wolf who showed their face at the pit and possibly pretend they were Njord.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
-Leave them at the bottom of the grave they dug for you. -
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson was oblivious to anyone and everything to do with drama. He was doing his diligence and keeping on the straight and narrow. He was still riding on his high at having climbed the side of the walls. It had made him emensely happy to push his body that hard. Now he wanted to improve upon his prowess and continue to spar.

It was with that thought he headed towards the spareing pits. He hadn't been doing as he once had in spars. Perhaps it was age, perhaps there was something he was missing he was unsure. (Perhaps danni is just terrible at rolls :p)
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
72 Posts
Ooc — Aero
Mind if he watches?
Sybol sat patiently, waiting, waiting, waiting. He had high hopes that he'd meet a soldier eventually if he just wait long enough by the sparring pit. So there he sat. It was a foolish endeavor, and honestly REALLY boring. But, it was his one and only job right now, to meet people.

He wasn't so sure about his position anymore when he saw Towhee approaching, his tail thumped the ground. Finally, company! He remembered that she was Tierra's mom and he felt embarrassment rush into his features. His tail casually moved to cover his face while he regained his composure.

Then another wolf approached, Reyson, the one he'd met while he was still in the Tablinum. His tail slipped back into into an easy wave, stirring the dirt. Hi, I'm Sybol, I don't know if you remember me, but the Imperator wanted me to introduce myself to people because I want to be a naturalist one day. His chest puffed out, he was excited to finally be giving back to Mereo, and after this meeting he would be able to return to the Imperator and move on to the next step.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When she arrived at her destination, Towhee found someone waiting there. She eyed Sybol, her head turning when she noticed the way he looked just past her. She saw Reyson approaching too. The Praefectus shifted so she could see both of them at once, thoughts of poor Meerkat still swirling in her brain and sending restless energy humming through her veins.

Sybol spoke and Towhee squinted, blurting, What does being a naturalist have to do with meeting people? She waved a paw dismissively, adding, Ah, not that it matters. I’m here for a fight, though. Who’s game? Her eyes ticked over to Reyson. Sunshine?
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson's eyes jumped to first Sybol and then Towhee, as he tried to listen to both. The young dark wolf began a long winded speech, and his ear twitched.

He nodded his head. I remember yes. You want to know of the world? And everything in it?

He was of the same mind as Towhee, he didn't understand how meeting others helped with that, but it was what it was. The imperator gave him a job and he was doing his best to do it. that spoke well for the boy.

However, his attention was quickly grabbed by Towhee as she offered a spar. He dipped his head.

Okay.

How do you like to do spars Kat?
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
72 Posts
Ooc — Aero
Sorry for the hold up. And to bow back out, life isn't being kind.

Sybol frowned, Towhee wasn't too impressed by him, it seemed this might not be the wisest place to wait after all. Well my current task is to meet people and soldiers of Mereo then return to the Imperator for the next task.

Reyson seemed to understand. Yes! The Imperator wants to send me on patrols outside Mereo once I meet three people, I've done that, but I wished to meet more soldiers before returning to him as well.

He could tell they were waiting for him to get out of their way so he quickly finished talking and scrambled out of their way. It was nice to meet both you again.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Yeah, nice meeting you, Towhee said absently, paying very little attention to Sybol, again.

It wasn’t anything personal. She was just in a very particular mood. Her attention immediately shifted to Reyson, who had okayed the notion of a spar. She took a breath, blood pumping in anticipation of a sound fight.

Motioning for him to join her in the middle of the arena, Towhee planted her feet and stared at her opponent. She had never met Njord personally, so it was pretty easy to pretend Reyson was him. Of course, she knew her pack mate and would have to check herself from actually doing what she wanted to do to her son-in-law.

I could use some offensive practice, if you don’t mind playing defense, Towhee said, giving Reyson no time to either answer or prepare before lunging forward to snap at his muzzle.

I don’t love complicated dice rolls, so I’m fine if you just wanna roll for the winner? Or we can just agree to a draw? I’m fine with either/or. :)

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
He was barely into a defensive position before she was at him. He snarled and snapped at her face using his larger body to push her back.

Fast realizing she was sparring to hurt or soothe too and it irritated him a little. He understood sure. But it was a little irksome. What the hell was with this family they were all f**ked up. He wasn't entirely fond of getting hurt for someone else's injustices against them.

He used his tail to wip around and blind her for moment while he backed up and circled, but didn't attack. He was defense after all.

okay what are we rolling out of against for winning.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Maybe we can skip the dice… *gestures at post* :P

He didn’t even flinch, meeting her rush with a snap of his own fangs and shoving at her with his heavier weight. A little thrill went through Towhee even as his muzzle struck hers quite painfully, prompting her to spring backward. She smiled, her own blood staining her teeth. Adrenaline and endorphins rushed, pushing Njord from her mind as the joy of a good fight raced through her. This was going to be a solid match.

Reyson whirled around unexpectedly, slapping her across the face with his tail. She hadn’t seen it coming and took the entire brunt of it, her cheek smarting and stinging from the impact. Towhee retreated further, blinking stray hairs out of her watering eyes. When that didn’t resolve the scratchy sensation, she held up a forepaw to halt any further attacks and then fisted it to rub at her eyes.

Damn, you really got me, she admitted a moment later, her right eye in particular streaming so badly she was effectively half-blind.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
oh goodness

Reyson moved closer with a soft sigh. I'm sorry Towhee i hadn't meant to hurt you. Should we try to flush it with water?

He imagined a leaf with water might do the trick though if it was cut it could cause issues.

It had been a trick he learned long ago. Perhaps not one suited for sparring but actuall fighting.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She sensed Reyson getting closer and took a step back, unsure if he intended to take advantage of her momentary weakness despite calling timeout. Towhee blinked blurrily at him, relieved when his silhouette stood motionless. But if he was trying to say anything to her, she couldn’t possibly lipread right now.

I have to— she said, motioning a little randomly before turning and doing her best to navigate back toward the woods, what with her vision so compromised.

By the time she retraced her steps back to the stream, Towhee had at least isolated the problem to her right eye, the left clearing up a little to allow her to reach her destination with only a stumble or two. She promptly dunked her head into the water, squeezing her eyes shut for a long moment before reopening them.

The one still felt quite irritated, though the cool water was helping. Towhee bent to splash it some more, then blinked the moisture away and looked around, curious if Reyson had followed her this far.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
In his haste to help her, he had forgotten that she used her eyes to help her read lips. He hadn't meant to startle her. So he too took a small step back so as to not make her more nervous.

She turned and started away. Reyson followed at a safe distance to keep her from getting hurt. She went to the river as he suggested. Though her sight seemed to clear a little bit, enough to get there without his help.

Reyson stood a little bit away, looking a bit shamefaced. He felt guilty and bad. Perhaps it had been a dishonorable trick?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He was there, looming. Towhee blinked hard, then lifted a paw to scrub at each eye in turn. The blurriness was gone but there was still a slight discomfort. She idly wondered if he’d somehow managed to scratch her retina. It wouldn’t be the first time.

I was supposed to be on offense, she sniped, though the twitch of her lips let Reyson know she wasn’t really that bothered about it.

But it would probably be a bad idea to continue sparring, at least until her vision felt fully restored. So rather than make her way back toward the pit, Towhee took a seat beside the water, resigned to daydreaming about giving Njord a pounding for hurting her daughter.

You can go around bragging that you defeated me by slapping me across the face with your ass, Towhee quipped.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson felt even more guilty as she scrubbed at her eyes.

Probably not an idea to scrub at it, especially if i scratched it.

Reyson smiled at her and shrugged. You were I was just better at defense. he teased kindly.

Reyson chuckled and looked at his tail and then his ass. I think my ass would have done a little more damage, possibly knocked you out.....

He settled to his haunches for a moment. Would you like company, or would you like me to let you be?

He titled his head. He was trying not to talk to much. So that she didn't strain her eyes more so, but it was difficult. He supposed he could offer to just lay nearby and pass the time with quiet company. He could even get any hard to reach places on her back and ears if she needed it. He had done that before for other soldiers. But some packs didn't like touching, others took it as being forward. It made no sense to him really. They were social animals after all.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Or, she countered, baring her teeth playfully, you took a cheap shot.

She didn’t necessarily think that. In fact, the move had been quite effective and should definitely be deployed in actual battles, as far as Towhee was concerned. But she didn’t say anything further on the matter, humming under her breath as she considered his latter question.

I should probably rest my eyes, which means lipreading is a no-go. So unless you want to sit here and stare awkwardly at each other, then feel free to go do something more useful, the Praefectus said with a snort.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,093 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson gave a play growl back. Lies. he rumbled. Though he still felt bad and he supposed it could be used as a cheap shot...in some cases, though in this one, he felt justified a little bit, maybe?

Reyson chuckled and then with a swift movement, he lay down. Long body taking up more space than he needed, he spoke one last time.

I don't usually take a nap, so I think that I may do so. Here with you in the same vicinity.

He felt somewhere that perhaps she didn't need to be alone. What she had been searching for in the sparring pit, he didn't know what it was, but she reminded him in that moment of the she wolf Fennec, knowing from chatter that she was her mother. Perhaps they had other things in common than blood too.

He gave her no reason to argue and he closed his eyes with a gentle rumble again.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Reyson declared that he would take a nap here instead, stretching out and shutting his eyes before she could get a word in edgewise.

Suit yourself, Sunshine, was Towhee’s only remark as she settled down a few feet away and closed her own eyes, the relief nearly instantaneous.