Ouroboros Spine jump then fall
Moonglow
Pi
my mind turns your life into folklore
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
All Welcome 
Sadness had swallowed Moonglow whole. Her efforts of cheering up her family had been in vain, and Nantahala was at a loss of what to do to help. She chose to stay near her family, maintaining a positive attitude despite the sense of things falling apart around her. 

On a beautiful, sunny day, Nantahala was lounging just outside the family's ulaq, her head propped up on her arms. She was simply relaxing, occasionally watching clouds or noticing movement in the distance, wishing for some excitement to come her way.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
tags for ref!

letting akmaaksi, @Lightfoot, and @Yuralria lope ahead of her, kukutux paused to glance for nantahala. the girl's moroseness worried her; the duck knew her own heart had been shattered, but it was no cause to allow such pain its stagnation in their village.

"soon we will have a gathering with many others. you will come this time. we will all go summer hunting this year."

she gestured. "come. we are going to the lake. the hunters have brought a great elkhide and many of us must scrape it." though she could not yet smile, the grandmother's eyes were warm. "i will teach you to make soft hides, ones fine enough to trade."
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Thanks for joining! <3

Kukutux arrived, bringing with her news of exciting things to come, and Nantahala lifted her head as her tail began to wag. Really? she asked, starry-eyed and voice full of marvel. Although she hadn't explicitly stated her interest in hunting, she had been practicing her stalking in her spare time and wanted to learn more of the craft. Oh, how exciting! I can't wait! The information managed to turn her day around, bringing a glow of excitement to her face that had been absent for a while.

Kukutux had more on the agenda than just the hunting trip; there was also a fur that needed cleaning, and Nantahala was tasked with learning the proper care procedures. She rose onto all fours as she was instructed to follow, nodded, cast a quick look at her siblings, and then fell in line with the group. Are we going to trade the fur? she asked, curious, as they began to make their way toward the lake.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
of course! <3

anik lake gleamed in blue crystalline and kukutux and nantahala approached the place of hide-making. ahead, the other girls had started to unroll the massive hide.

"bring rocks," the duck instructed, showing the group of her grandchildren how best to pin down the edges of the wide pelt.

"fur side down, against the ground. we will soak the hide when we have removed these pieces of flesh," kukutux went on, indicating the clinging tissue and membrane.

"and yes. when it is ready, we will roll it again, and carry it when moonglow departs for summer hunting."

voice, voice rising in a song ariadne had made her own;

"aya, aya, aya!

the handsome boy there, he is staring at your face!

do not look, do not look

i will say the words loud so he will hear them:

'what did your father ask in trade?'"
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
They were instructed to place rocks on the corners of the hide and then remove the flesh, and Nantahala peeled away from Kukutux's side to gather the necessary materials. She didn't go far, as the ground was littered with rocks, and soon she returned to the group carrying several in varying sizes. She'd been in a hurry, as the hide had been quickly rolled out and smoothed, and didn't want to hold everyone up.

She began to place the rocks in each corner as Kukutux began to sing, and she angled an ear towards the moonwoman as she went about her work. It was a catchy tune, and soon she began to hum along. 

I like that song, she remarked as she secured the last corner.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"ariadne, who was sister to your mother, she sang this song. i taught it to her. my mother taught it to me. her mother taught it to her. and now you know it, nantahala."

a smile beamed. she repeated the song, then gestured to the spread of skin. "now. see. the pieces of skin that cling. cut those off with your front teeth, as close as you are able without tearing. try," the duck motioned, lowering her own muzzle to demonstrate with the ivories worn by years of using them in such a way.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
It felt as though Kukutux had bestowed Nantahala with an important gift. She nodded, watching wide-eyed in an uncharacteristically hushed awe as the song was repeated. When it'd been sung, and she was confident that she could remember all the words, she opened her mouth to repeat it, and then promptly snapped shut her jaws as the focus of the conversation returned to the skin. 

Nantahala watched as Kukutux demonstrated removing the clinging skin. It seemed simple enough, and when it was her turn, she began to gnaw at the closest, clung skin. Before long, and just a moment or two too late, she realized that she'd chewed too much and tore a hole into the skin. Quickly, she let go of the material and looked to her grandmother as her ears flattened, and her eyes grew wide with emotion. 

Ididn'tmeantodothat, she whimpered apologetically. I'msorry!!!
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
a snip. a tear. kukutux bit back the sigh that might surely make nantahala feel much worse. "it is all right!" her embrace was swift and warm. "when we turn it over, it will not be easy at all to see this," moonmother assured.

the song, again. once more she showed nantahala. once more she watched, blinking; blurred until the girl beside her was ariadne, was samani. and where, where is kausiut?
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Nantahala took several steadying breaths as Kukutux quieted her concern. O-Okay, she said with a nod, stilling her quivering bottom lip. We'll t-turn it o-over! But even with the affirmation that it'd be alright, she couldn't shake the feeling that she'd majorly messed up. Next time, she'd be more careful, and she promised, It won't happen again!!! 

Kukutux sang the song again, giving Nantahala a reprise from her uncharacteristic anxiety and the chance to sing it for herself. 

aya, aya, aya!

the handsome boy there, he is staring at your face!

do not look, do not look

i will say the words loud so he will hear them:

'what did your father ask in trade?'

Her spirits lifted, and she could see why this had been Ariadne's favorite working song.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
it was good to hear the song again, good to know it would be handed down again and again.

her voice rose with that of nantahala, and she inspected the little tear again as they sang, showing how hair could be drawn through the punctures to cover it as well.

her wink was all for this golden granddaughter.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Thankfully, the tear could be saved with some hair. Nantahala watched Kukutux as she sang, taking note of how carefully her grandmother weaved the material through the hole. 

That looks much better, she said, feeling relieved now that her mistake had been neatly tucked away. Thank you for fixing it.

”It won't happen again,” she thought to herself.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
fade? <3

"thank you for giving me help today, nantahala."

her eyes glowed. they would leave the skin here, she explained, and return to scrape it again tomorrow. another soaking and then it would be brought back to the ulaq, stretched upon the branches of her drying-rack, and combed.

glossy then, it would be ready for trade. the number of times a sunshine woman might do this in one lifetime was innumerable.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Yes! <3

Nantahala smiled, pleased that she could do something to help. She'd felt so useless for so long, but now, after helping, her spirits had been lifted, and she felt ready to take on the next day of lessons. She listened as the next steps were explained, and she would recite them as the evening grew on to remind herself of what tomorrow would bring. 

She followed closely after Kukutux, eyes bright and with a bounce in her step, as they made their way home.