Ouroboros Spine Salt and the sea
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Winter was not an ideal season to search the skies, though Samani did not stop trying.

After they had returned to their homes, she had made herself comfortable in the familiar den and had regained much of her strength. Their long journey had given her new muscle, had shaped her. Samani was lean and sharp. She was gradually growing into her adult figure, though she still had some time before she would be at her year mark. It felt good to work her body until it was worn tired.

The moon child climbed until she had found a small perch. She gazed into the dark skies, searching to see if she could will the clouds to move aside and reveal the stars.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux knew that what came next was only the breathing of prayers, hope held inside her until the sickness came. or until it did not.

she found samani radiant and watchful, climbing to a small pedestal. kukutux approached with a chuff and settled close, smiling up at her sea-child silhouetted against the sky. "what does the wind tell you, samani?"
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The moon child was blessed with the company of her mother.

Samani smiled warmly to Kukutux. The Moonwoman asked her what the winds told her.

They say that they will continue to block the stars from me, the young girl answered. The winds carried the clouds, after all. It had been quite some time since she had known the peaceful air of autumn, or the glittering of the night sky from her favorite viewpoints on the spine.

All was well, though. Samani was pleased to be back in their home and back to the familiarity of their village and its sights.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux gave a soft laugh. "wind mother enjoys hiding many secrets."

she and her daughter sat in companionable silence. and then she spoke again. "do you know the word ugi?" kukutux asked of samani, wondering if sialuk had spoken of anything in this regard to her sisters.

life moved swiftly. she must be ahead of it, laying a path for her sea-girl to tread.
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The moon child smiled softly, though she was not pleased. Wind mother did not need to carry the clouds, to conceal the skies. Wind mother could visit them during the day, when her presence could be felt and seen in everything around them.

Kukutux was able to remove these thoughts from her daughter’s head when she asked the young girl if she knew what ugi was. Samani blinked thoughtfully, frowning. She thought back on the word, knowing immediately that she did not recall a meaning for it.

The jade color of her eyes searched her mother’s face.

Tell me, Samani said softly.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"ugi is a boy that you like. you may have more than one. this time is only to find what your mind wants." courtship grew in stages. the ways of their people must be observed. she smiled. "i saw you sharing words with veteran. what do you think in your head of that one?"

there was ensio to consider, but she had not met arius. and while there were taboos to be observed, she did have the wish that samani learn to choose such individuals for herself.
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Samani looked thoughtfully to her mother.

Ugi was a boy that she liked. The young figure thought of Ensio and of Veteran. She had spent some time with them both. It had been good for her to know others around her age. Both glacier boys had been kind. She imagined that this was what her mother meant.

Veteran is good. He wishes to be a guardian, he said to me.

Samani smiled softly, remembering the young man and his happy blue gaze with fondness.

What does ugi become? she asked, uncertain if there was an answer. She wondered if her mind could see the potential in Veteran and Ensio. Was this something that contributed to the ugi that her mother spoke of?
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux made a small sound of agreement low in her throat at the mention of the boy veteran. he was son to lane and might one day be chieftain of his own village. "sometimes the boy who is ugi becomes your husband," kukutux said softly. "sometimes he does not. maybe you will have more than one ugi."

a pause. "when you are older and have chosen your ugi, he will come here and live with clan nuiruk for a moon, perhaps more. you will live in your own ulaq and you will see what it is like to be alone." 

moonwoman looked up toward the sky. "i had nine moons when i first lived-in-waiting with my ugi. he had the name of seal stalker boy." her white teeth showed in a smile. had she ever spoken of this before?
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It sounded as though an ugi was a special thing. Samani was not certain that she understood, fully. She listened to her mother speak on the matter with a watchful gaze and pointed ears.

There was a certain happiness in the thought of having someone live with Moonglow, even if it was for only a short while. The moon child thought of Veteran walking the protective stone spine, of Ensio patrolling their borders with a stern expression. Samani thought that having her friends in Moonglow would be treat enough. The thought of either boy becoming a husband was not something that registered as easily.

When Kukutux spoke of her first experience, Samani wagged her tail.

How many ugi have you had? she wondered aloud. Was it good to have more than one?
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"two. seal stalker boy and green water hunter. but the last one, his family did not like mine. they arranged for him to marry another girl from a closer village."

they had been young. her heart had not been broken by this.

"you will not be ready for a husband until you have as many moons as your sister sialuk."
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Samani frowned thoughtfully at her mother’s remark, finding it strange that the Green Water Hunter boy’s family would not approve of Kukutux’s. None of that seemed to matter, of course. She had gone on to wed the sun man. Samani could only be grateful for this. She loved her father dearly. She loved her mother, as well. Their family was all she could hope for it to be.

When Kukutux went on to say that Samani would not need to worry about such things until she had grown to the age Sialuk was at, the girl nodded her head softly.

What about Kau? she asked, thinking of her sister. The moon child’s eyes swept to her mother with curiosity.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux shook her head. "i do not think kausiut is meant for that. not now." she must learn to be important to her village in other ways. beauty would fade. skills did not.

"do not worry for the daytime star. her path was chosen by the spirits." and that was all that must be said upon that. she reached to nuzzle samani.

"you are twin. but you will not share the same path."
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Samani listened to her mother speak.

The moon child did not offer a response for several moments. She allowed the words to sink into her mind. There were many questions that danced upon her tongue, but she was not certain that her mother would want her to ask them. The young girl glanced toward the moonwoman’s pale face and wondered if all of their paths were already known.

Kau is important. She can be strong.

Samani felt this was valuable to say. Surely, Kukutux was already aware of the strength of her daughters. Perhaps there was something in Samani that felt as though Kausiut deserved a chance to decide such things, as well. Kau could have an ugi too.

Then, I wish to learn to hunt from father. From you, too. She thought of the conversation she'd had with Heda.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"she is not less important. your paths are only different."

and kukutux did not think that kausiut wished to concern herself with ugi and husband. she did not belong to their world. she lived in one of her own making.

a smile now. "i will teach you, samani. what do you have the wish to hunt first?"

was it the caribou? or perhaps she wished to seek birds, perhaps even the small animals which called the spine their home as well.
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The girl nodded her head.

Kausiut was different. Samani had recognized this on her own. There were things about her sister that remained mysterious to her. She wished that she knew more about what Kau thought of.

Thoughts of her sister slipped from her mind as Samani was offered the chance to learn from her mother. The moon child smiled up at Kukutux. She could feel her heart quicken in her chest. It was a thrilling thing to hear from her mother.

The deer, the elk, and the caribou, was her answer. A small nod of her snout was offered to show that she was certain.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,143 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
would you like to continue this or have a new hunting-specific thread? <3

"we will start with brother deer."

samani wished to learn. kukutux would begin this training at once. 

"bring your wrap."

"we will go to the hills of deer sight, across the lake."

moonwoman glowed with pride.
298 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I will make us a hunting one to follow this as soon as I wake up! <3

Samani was overjoyed with the support that she had received from her mother. The Moonwoman’s glowing expression of pride had filled her daughter with such strength, such love. The peachy figure could not believe her fortunes to have such parents.

Grabbing her wrap, the young girl followed her mother with a swift trot. She was eager to see what she could learn from the hunters of Moonglow and the skill of her mother.