Moonglow
Alpha*
3,144 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
responding is optional! this is just an IC event! <3

to her she called @Ciri, @Peregrine, @Kyrell, @Galana, and @Valiant.

"chickadee and kivaluk have gone to brecheliant. moonglow needs a firsthunter, and a second."

her eyes were firm.

"decide among yourselves who this will be. we will hunt the glen when sivullik has been chosen."
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Moonglow
Eta
70 Posts
Ooc — Twin
peregrine came alongside galana, chatting idly with her and passing a look of fondness to her pretty face.
what greeted him was, frankly, unexpected. a first hunter. what did that mean? whatever it was, it sounded important, and immediately the man felt as if he should not be such.
it was not as if he did not want it, but — he was himself. he was unworthy. unless he wasn't. unless;
he holds tight to the side of his girl-friend-not-girlfriend and waits for the reactions of others before he is to say anything.
Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
263 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
It wasn't all that complicated, for Valiant. Someone had to do a thing. That thing involved tasks that he was good at. He looked around at the others, his thoughts with the two soon-to-be parents who would depart.

"I'll do it," he said to them; an offer more than a declaration. "I'm a fair hunter. It's what I do most every day. First or second — I don't mind. But I ain't of a mind to fight about it — so if there's anyone who don't agree, g'wan and tell me now."

He wanted to get back to his own wife and children, so he was eager to see this decision made, but that was the only way in which it weighed on his emotions. He really didn't have any desire to fight about it, and this was likely apparent in his bald but even tone. His body language remained relaxed and open, and his ears cupped toward the hunters gathered here.
live and die on this day,
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
When the task at hand is explained to those gathered by the moonwoman, it is initially met with surprise on his end. He did not allow the shock to alter his expression, instead taking the confusion and molding it into curiosity. His eyes moved from Kukutux to the others that gathered.

First and second hunter? It was easy enough to deduct the roles those positions held. Lead hunters, no doubt. His assumptions were confirmed once the white-coated man, Valiant, spoke to offer himself. If the man met his gaze Kyrell would nod to him.

Even though the prospect intrigued him, Kyrell did not consider himself a good candidate. Frankly, it was unexpected that he would even be considered for such an offer. As a fresh face to Moonglow, he still had much to learn about the pack.

You will find no argument from me, he directed to Valiant with a polite smile. With a gesture to himself he continued, I am still setting here in the spine. I will yield to those that know it better. If there is still need, I will only offer myself then.
Moonglow
Gamma
91 Posts
Ooc — bee
she'd been looking for an excuse to share words with peregrine. it was someone she'd found to be fine company- preferred at that. galana showed herself beside him, growing quiet at the moonwoman's speech, but filled with unimportant chatter at peregrine's side.

"sure, i won't argue either. level headed and skilled men in what i see you in you all". galana answered.

her gaze settled towards him, a biased sureness resolving within her. peregrine would make a fine one. though, valiant had no disagreements, and she would not vocalize her own, he'd be just as reliable. she simply waited for others to speak.
[Image: d3jp7hf-0664de4f-6cb0-4493-b8fd-98f26181...0z5sj-61nQ]

Moonglow
Delta
185 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Ciri observed her pack-mates quietly following Kukutux' announcement, her expression neutral. It was pale-furred Valiant who first gave voice to his desires, and the swallow shifted her sunflower gaze to look upon him. Truthfully, she did not know what it meant to be first hunter. It was easy to assume a wolf with that title would be responsible for organising and leading hunts, which did not appeal to her.

She'd never been one to put herself in the spotlight. She was meant to follow, not give orders.

An ear shifted at Galana's mention of the "skilled men" around her, and her eyes were quick to find her russet featured. And women, she smiled, including the young she-wolf; they were just as capable of the hunt as their male comrades. She looked around the group again, and rose to her feet. I would support any of you, Ciri offered as she focused on the first who'd spoke. Valiant had only recently become a father, rooting himself in Moonglow, and his willingness to step up despite that new role was admirable. I will offer myself as second, as long as I'm not stepping on any toes.
"And then the world started to exist again,
but it existed very differently."
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,144 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
thanks to everyone for joining! no posting order! <3

the secondary reason that she had called these hunters together was their eligibility. save for faele, whom she wished to keep close for now, and valiant for his marriage, they were the young undercurrent of the pack.

the smooth green gaze took in something between galana and the young redhawk man. she was the last nuiruk daughter. peregrine had much to prove if he wanted her attention to continue beyond girlhood.

kyrell was suitable for ciri, at least in age if not in appearanc; such would be the choice of the sleek woman. "very good. valiant will be our sivullik, our first." waiting to see if there was objection, she settled her eyes on the redhawk, who had not spoken.

it was his chance to take up a formal role inside moonglow, to say that he would learn their ways, galana's ways. her daughter's interest in this man, no matter how brief, warranted such a test.
Moonglow
Eta
70 Posts
Ooc — Twin
this was oddly civil. galana's gaze rests upon him, and kukutux, too, seems to be watching him like a hawk. a nervous warm prickle settles over the back of his neck.
abruptly, he blurts: i'd like to be second hunter, shifting so that he may appear taller, more secure. the assurance galana loaned him now sparked a drive to impress. this was his opportunity to give back, was it not? his gaze falls upon ciri, somewhat apologetic. if you wouldn't mind, that is.
Moonglow
Delta
185 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Kukutux concluded that Valiant would be first hunter, and Ciri shot the pale-furred wolf a winning smile. They knew nothing of one another, but his immediate confidence in light of a role needing to be filled had spurred her own offering. The title of Sivullik sounded impressive, and to captain Moonglow's hunts would be a great honour - something that both invigorated and terrified her all the same.

She could support him as second, she felt. Most of her pursuits were of small game, but Ciri was a swift and capable huntress. It was important to kill quickly and cleanly, to avoid catastrophe, and she wanted to be useful. She wanted to have something to focus on.

She wanted to belong. And when another lifted his voice to counter her suggestion by offering himself for the position on second, Ciri's smile wavered. She did not dare glance away from Peregrine to look upon the others, anxious suddenly to feel their eyes upon her. He looked back at her with a glint of something in his stare - was that pity? She blinked, swallowed the lump that swelled in her throat, and collected herself with a deep inhale to place a warm mask over any hint of disappointment that flickered across her dark features.

Okay, the swallow said simply and with a smile, not allowing any length of time for discussion to come of it; she would not argue over rank. It was Peregrine's, and at last Ciri sought Kukutux' gaze in search of dismissal.
"And then the world started to exist again,
but it existed very differently."
Moonglow
Gamma
91 Posts
Ooc — bee
"of course," galana nervously smiled at ciri.

she had not noticed the earthen woman's arrival and worried herself with the appearance that she'd shown her dismissal. the ruddy girl could not decide if she was anxious or excited after noticing kukutux's watchful eyes find the redhawk. she'd like to think she knew what that meant.

she offered a nod and big smile towards valiant's assurance as first hunter. he'd been kind to her and seemed full of wisdom the girl could pry from him. ciri spoke second and revealed her desire to be second hunter, but maintaining a pleasing attitude. she saw herself for a moment in the woman, avoidant of conflict even in the midst of her wants. 

peregrine stole her attention once more with an unexpected response that was hoped upon. it was becoming rather easy of him. the girl did not say anything, and looked over him once more with a wagging tail. impatient and unsure she looked back towards kukutux, waiting for her confirmation of thoughts.
[Image: d3jp7hf-0664de4f-6cb0-4493-b8fd-98f26181...0z5sj-61nQ]

Moonglow
Gamma
w a y w a r d s o n
263 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Valiant did not know Ciri well, but he offered a wry smile and agreed — "And women," already sensing that they would work well together. It was no secret that he now had three daughters to worry about, and despite all his respect for Kukutux, he wanted them to grow up around women who were strong in other ways. He wanted them to know they could dream of being hunters and warriors, too.

Moonwoman quietly named him sivullik, and the words stood uncontested. With this decided, Valiant opened his mouth to name Ciri as his second.

But one of the younger men spoke up. Valiant didn't know Peregrine any better than he knew Ciri, and he had few reasons to prefer one over the other. But he believed naturally in the competence of women, having spent much of his life looking up to his hyper-competent aunt. He was less convinced of men, being that he was one, and that he was none too impressed with himself.

His gaze flashed back to Ciri, searching for signs of disagreement — and he found himself feeling a tiny pang of disappointment when she easily stepped aside.

There was a part of him that thought Peregrine ought to have kept his mouth shut. Cohesion was important, and Valiant felt an odd undercurrent now of things left unsaid. There was something about his phrasing, too — I want instead of I will. The isbjørn's brow held a tiny furrow while he examined these thoughts, asking himself why it should be so wrong to want something and ask for it. The answer eluded him, for now.

He stole one last glance at Ciri and swept another across the faces of the others before his attention returned to Kukutux. He had no arguments he was willing to voice.
live and die on this day,
live and die on this day
Moonglow
Iota
60 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
The redheaded girl clings to the space of the wiry man at her side. An amused quirk to his lip as he watched them. The object of her attention evident. His eyes turned to the dark woman as she announced her desire for second hunter. To this he held no objections.

Kukutux weighed in with finality that Valiant will take first hunter. He accepts this with a nod and a smile.

Sivullik. The word was foreign to him. There is an understanding that there may still be many unfamiliar words he will have to learn. He takes a moment to recall how the moonwoman pronounced the title.

His attention then turned to Peregrine as the man spoke up. A challenge to the position of second hunter. Well, it was not so much a challenge. He quietly lifted a brow as Ciri yielded. No judgement, only mild intrigue at the exchange.

He would accept either, but he would not speak out in favor for one or the other. He did not know their respective characters.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,144 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
no posting order! can be last round if ur char is like ok & wants to leave lol
sorry for text wall; a lot of the hunting comms/assignments can be BTS/posted in bulletinboard for ease! <3

for a moment, moonmother willed ciri to take hold of this rank. but the second did not come. "peregrine is kingullimik." there was a place for thirdhunter, but it was often reserved for children, apprentices eager to hunt with skilled men and women.

"sivullik, call upon your secondhunter. he is there for you to direct and to trust when you cannot be away from the village."

"kingullimik, you are not alone in your duties. you have galana, ciri, and kyrell to give teeth to your hunts." a pause. "to you both: there are also the hunters of moonspear, moontide, and morningsong to gather as more strength when a large beast must be taken, or when an enemy must be defeated." she grinned, watching those gathered; "i will hunt also with you, and sun man too."

kukutux went on with her instruction: sivullik accompanied leaders upon journeys of diplomacy and acted as war chief in times of conflict. the duck paused to wryly point out that no one had yet ever been foolish enough to challenge the coalition of moonpacks. it was firsthunter who chose the larger hunts and longer hunting-walks, for example deciding that a pair of hunters might follow a herd for more than a day. or choosing the place for an elk hunt, and calling others down from their related villages if he found it necessary. the post required travel when her granddaughters were older, for with travel and familiarity grew trust. his foremost duty was moonglow, however, and he could expect to be added to their councils in future times. when it was time, sivullik decided which children were old enough to join the hunts and when. 

kingullimik's role was to step forward when sivullik could not. should valiant fall sick or become injured, it would be peregrine who took up firsthunter's tasks for a time. to be either required trust between both. outside of this, secondhunter kept watch over the closest forests, keeping his hunts close to the villages. often he was paired with another if not firsthunter; the power of fangs was in their cohesion. often, moving so closely and so often through the land familiarized a hunting wolf with the movements of resident herds and their health, something that could be used when planning a kill.

every wolf in moonglow could be called up as a fighter. every hunter in the village then would become a warrior. it was important that any pieces of information, any threat, or any sign of encroaching packs discovered by ranging hunters be brought to attention at once. while in the brush beyond moonglow, they represented the village as protectors, guardians of not only their home but the moon territories as well.

now, what was needed; "we have many choices already for hunting. the land is rich. i tell you what i have seen with my eyes while i traveled. the caribou have gathered near moontide. the elk dance in the glen. i have seen deer in the moonstone place. across the plains, far from us, i have seen the great bison moving again."

as she spoke these potential things aloud, her eyes were filled with interest and pride, for the woman wondered to see how these formal changes might influence the face of her village.