Sun Mote Copse my my my
2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
They’d camped beside Verdant Basin overnight, just the two of them. Although she had her misgivings about her son’s growing penchant for exploration, she couldn’t help but enjoy herself. As much as she missed @Njord, @Otter and the rest of Sun Mote Copse, it was nice to get away for a bit. And Skipjack reminded her so much of her younger self. Hadn’t she been his age when she’d left home for the first time, with only her elder brother for company?

They returned to their homeland late on this pleasant summer morning. Although Meerkat felt an almost poignant sense of familiarity as she set foot in the copse, she felt something else stirring inside her. She smiled at her son, making a point to press it against his cheek so he knew it was there, then shooed him ahead toward the family’s cottage. She walked that way too, albeit a bit more sedately.

Fall break, she murmured to herself as she walked along the familiar footpath, pausing at each landmark. That’s all it’ll be, she swore to Orca’s Forest. We’ll be back, she told Ray’s Beach. This is our forever home, she reminded Narwhal’s Respite, then fell silent as she passed Fish’s Loch and approached The Taigh.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She’d made a habit out of parking on Njord’s Cragh and surveying the territory. The hillock certainly afforded her a great view, letting her observe the comings and goings of the copse’s members. They were sparse these days, soon to grow even fewer. Towhee shifted her weight, frowning as she thought about her recent conversation with Jr.

It was time to track down @Fennec for their one-on-one, though she hadn’t seen her eldest in days. She did see Skipjack scrambling toward the cottage, freshly returned from an overnight trip. Towhee raised a paw to shield her eyes, scanning for the boy’s mother. Meerkat trailed behind her son, pausing every now and again. She looked like she was talking to herself.

Rising onto all fours, she trotted down the hillside toward The Taigh, intercepting Meerkat as she padded past Fish’s Loch. Towhee strode right up to her and lowered her head, butting it against her sandy shoulder.

Did you two have a good time? Towhee asked as she stepped back to peer closely at her daughter’s expression.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She paused as soon as she saw her mother approaching, pivoting slightly to face her. Meerkat smiled warmly as Towhee’s head pressed into her shoulder. She reached out to nip fondly at her mother’s whiskers just before she stepped back out of reach.

Yes, she answered, letting out a long breath, I enjoyed it so much, I’m actually feeling kind of weird about it. I mean, I already feel guilty about our plans to leave. But I’m looking forward to it too, which feels like a betrayal. I don’t know if that makes any sense.

Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It does, Towhee said. You always enjoyed traveling, so I’m sure it’s exciting to plan a trip like this, especially since you haven’t gotten out much in a while. And it’s not like you’re leaving the copse in a lurch. You’ve told everyone your plans, let us make preparations. You’re doing everything right.

She would miss them, of course, but these days, Towhee definitely understood the merits of a good adventure. Besides, just like her, they planned to come home again one day.

Do you have any idea where you’re headed? I assume you won’t be going toward the coast, she quipped dryly.

She supposed they could go to Njord’s birthplace, which Towhee knew was an island. But she doubted Meerkat wanted to go there, what with all the bad memories. Maybe she would take them to visit the Frosthawks. Or perhaps the entire point was to get away from everything they knew and explore the uncharted wilderness.

2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Meerkat shook her head lightly. Of course, she and her husband had chatted about various destinations. But they’d agreed this trip was about Skipjack. They would let him guide them.

We’re going to let Skip take point, see where he takes us… within reason, of course, she said with a puff of laughter. I know that sounds wild, letting a blind child be our tour guide. But I think that makes it seem more fun. More adventurous, Meerkat mused with a hum.

Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It did sound a little devil-may-care, though Towhee silently approved. Let nothing hold back her grandson just because he was blind. He wanted to see more of the world because he could, just in a different way.

And you’re still planning to take off later in the summer? Or early fall? Towhee checked. I think we’re ready whenever you are. I’ve been having one-on-ones with everybody. Though I haven’t been able to find your older sister. Have you seen her lately?

2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her mother’s question made her bite her lip. Yes, that was the timeline she and Njord had chosen at the start of their planning. But after spending the night away with Skipjack, Meerkat felt a familiar itch rising in her feet…

That’s good, she said with real relief when Towhee said they would be ready whenever. No, actually, I haven’t seen her lately. Maybe she went to visit Killer? I’m sure she’ll turn up sooner or later.

Meerkat chewed her lip more. It wasn’t lost on her that the copse’s ranks had grown thin lately. They had never found another couple to join their village and raise children. And speaking of children, many of their own had dispersed. Meerkat didn’t fault them, though she did worry about leaving when there weren’t enough wolves remaining to hold the territory.

Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She frowned. Towhee saw her worry mirrored on Meerkat’s face, noting the way her daughter’s eyes momentarily glazed in thought. She was no mind reader, though she could guess what she might be thinking about.

Maybe before you guys head out, I should try my hand at some recruitment. But even if we can’t find anyone else to help us hold down the fort, you can count on Jr, Seal and me to look after the place. Hopefully @Nyssa will stick around too. We’re not going anywhere, no matter what.

2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She sucked in a sharp breath at her mother’s astute response. Perhaps they could borrow some bodies from one of their allies. Meerkat herself could go and ask. She could take Skip, make another little field trip of it.

Thanks, mom, that means a lot. And I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it, knowing you’ll be here to look after our home, Meerkat said, eyes panning around the copse. It literally couldn’t be in better hands.

Oh, she’d miss it dearly. Meerkat was officially getting excited about the trip and knew she would enjoy herself, especially knowing the territory had such wonderful caretakers. But from the moment they set foot outside the copse, part of her would look forward to the day when they could come home again.

Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,122 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Truth, Towhee agreed simply, grinning.

She glanced toward The Taigh, wondering what Skipjack was doing in there. Probably sleeping, Towhee thought with a chuckle. She considered going over there to check on him, though it could wait.

Think I’m gonna go look for Fen. I’m sure you wanna go see Njord and Otter. I saw them head toward Orca’s Forest earlier. I’ll catch you later, Towhee said, reaching out to nudge Meerkat’s cheek before loping westward to start at Mercy’s Garden.

2,013 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Actually, Meerkat said, I’m gonna head to The Taigh and catch a nap. We didn’t get much sleep last night, she shared with a laugh that said she hadn’t minded. I’m sure they’ll find their way to us. See you later, mom.

After Towhee set out for the garden, Meerkat finished walking toward the cottage. She ducked inside and found Skipjack dead asleep near the rear wall. Meerkat smiled as she folded herself down beside him.

She stared at her sleeping son for a moment. Meerkat would miss their cozy little taigh when they were out there on the road. But they were going to make such wonderful memories on their trip. Her heart fluttered a little at the thought, even as her eyelids fluttered shut.