Heron Lake Plateau 'Cause in this home nobody cries alone.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Not long after hearing Quixote's side of the story, Towhee went back to the thicket to collect @Phox and then head out to find @Niamh. She did not heed any warnings about the former Beta's apparent exhaustion. That might be the case, yet it wasn't going to stop Towhee from going to her. She might have to wait a little longer than she'd like to get Niamh's version (at least a coherent one), but that wasn't really why she was going to see her. She was going to see her because she was Niamh's Person.

"Knock, knock," the mercenary called out when she reached the den, which still smelled a lot like Colt. Towhee's nose wrinkled and then she sighed. Softly (for her), she said, "Niamh, you in there? I just talked to Qui and I wanted to come see you." "You're her friend, she'll need you." She didn't need Quixote to tell her that. "Phox is with me," she added, glancing over at her brother.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox was also concerned about Niamh. She was his friend, even if he might not be hers. She was Towhee's friend (and Person), so Phox felt that was yet another thing that tied them together. Screw Quixote and his secretive nature. One way or another, Phox and Towhee would get to the bottom of this mess. Phox just hoped that Quixote wasn't planning anything more sinister right under their noses. He was eager to find out what "issues" Niamh apparently had that had caused her to "step down." Clearly, he didn't believe that.

On the heels of Towhee, they soon came to the den she shared with Colt. Yet another wolf Phox didn't like too much. He'd knocked out his sister and prevented her from attacking somebody who was clearly a threat in his mind. Alas, Niamh seemed to see something in him. Silently, Phox wondered what Raven would think of all this. Even now he was doubting she had made the right choice with Quixote.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh had returned, spent, to her den with a bit of a hitch to her step due to the cold and lack of sleep that seemed to make her joints even more angry. She hadn’t managed to fall asleep, but had managed to loose a few tears by the time she heard the crumching of footsteps on snow as someone approached her den. At the garbled monotone greeting, Niamh chuffed instinctively- even though she knew Towhee couldn’t hear her.

Quixote had told her not necessarily to avoid Towhee, but that was how she’d interpreted it, as it was the only way she could possibly make herself talk to anyone other than her. It didn’t feel right, though- it felt like he was trying to divide their loyalty to one another.

She pulled herself through the narrow entrance to her den and nodded at Towhee and Phox, squinting into the daylight. She’d wilted inwardly when Towhee mentioned having spoken to Quixote, and she felt her cheeks flush. Unaware of the fact Phox hadn’t been privy to their conversation, she turned her ears back. ”What’d he tell you?” She asked, tone flat, suspicious that he probably inferred things she might not have wanted. It wasn’t Quixote’s place to dabble in her personal life; he was alpha and Towhee was beta, but ranks aside, she disliked the fact that apparently Quixote could talk to Towhee, but she couldn’t.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She couldn't help but wonder if Niamh would insist on sending Phox away too. It felt a little more understandable here, for whatever reason, but Towhee was saved from having to consider it much further when the golden she-wolf stepped outside. She didn't seem to have any qualms with Phox's presence at all. Or maybe she was too busy worrying about what Quixote had told Towhee.

"Doesn't matter what he told me," Towhee assured right away, nudging her Person's cheek. That wasn't entirely true but right here, right now, she meant it. "I'm here for you." She didn't even feel the need to clarify that she was here for Niamh's side of things; it was implicit.

"You look like shit," Towhee added fondly, nuzzling what she assumed was the crust of tears away from the corner of her Person's eye. While she was there, she did whisper, "I hope it's okay that he's here?" into the other woman's ear. Of course, it was basically as loud as someone else's regular speaking voice; Phox would easily hear it. "We both want to be here for you."
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
While his main motivations were quite a bit different than Towhee's, he did want to make sure Niamh was alright. He wondered what Quixote thought she wanted kept secret, and he (selfishly) wanted in on it if she had been keeping something from the pack. As a leader, wasn't it her duty to share anything that might be amiss? There he went again, being critical of every leader he ran into that wasn't the rightful heir. He stuck those thoughts in a side pocket, hanging back just a bit from the two of them in case Niamh really didn't want him here.

Instead of adding any spoken acknowledgement, he nodded at Towhee's words instead, having heard all of what she had "whispered" to Niamh.
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh pouted softly when Towhee spoke, as she did honestly want to know how Quixote had painted her- but that was just her paranoia talking. She gritted her teeth together, and flattened her ears against her head at the thought that Quixote had possibly made her seem weak and feeble, which she didn’t appreciate. While she wanted to melt and weep in front of Towhee and Phox, something kept her from doing so- for the moment at least- because she had to prove whatever Quixote had said about her wrong.

She huffed, her honey eyes flickering to Phox when Towhee spoke “softly” in her ear just because she wanted to catch Phox’s expression. She nodded softly, and snorted. ”S’fine,” She said, incredulously. ”Dunno why it wouldn’t be,” She said, looking back to Towhee with a frown. ”I don’t like him, Towhee.” She said, but hurriedly added ”Not you, Phox- I mean Quixote. I wish you were alpha, Towhee. He just...He treats me like I’m an idiot.” She said with a soft growl.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
"Spine," Niamh said and Towhee blinked, then realized she must have meant, "it's fine." Towhee shook her head and didn't answer the next comment, though she went rigid at the words after it. Niamh quickly clarified that she meant Quixote, not Phox, and that was a relief. Towhee frowned at the sentiment, the expression darkening when Niamh explained why she felt the way she did.

"You're definitely not an idiot," the Beta countered, a heated look in her orange eyes. For now, she didn't speak to anything else her Person had just said. Instead, she coaxed in her low, gruff burble, "Tell me what happened, starting with the situation at the borders. What happened with Colt?" She'd heard one spin on this tale but now she wanted to see the events through Niamh's eyes.

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox also stiffened when Niamh mentioned she didn't like him. He was relieved to hear that a) he wasn't who she was talking about and b) she was referring to Quixote. So! He wasn't the only one to feel the way he did about the current leadership. She seemed to agree (though he was pretty sure she didn't know how he felt) that Towhee should be at the helm, not Quixote. He wondered what it would take for that to happen. With three of the most capable wolves on Niamh's side (according to Phox, anyway), how did Quixote stand a chance? Again, Phox wondered what Raven thought about all of this.

When she said that Quixote treated her like an idiot, Phox gave her a sympathetic look. Quixote had treated him much the same. Like a pup, even, and he was fed up with it. If Towhee hadn't been here to be his anchor, Phox would have left the instant Quixote refused to let him in on... well, whatever it was.

Towhee took the lead, and Phox was content to let her do the talking. He knew the two of them were closer, so he allowed them to suss out the details while he was merely an observer for now.
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
While Niamh appreciated Towhee’s support, Quixote had actually half-convinced her that she was an idiot. In the presence of her friends, however, her conviction returned to her, albeit in small, gentle waves, and her self-esteem was lifted. Towhee truly didn’t believe she was an itiot- and from the look on Phox’s face, he didn’t either. 

Towhee wanted to know, then, what happened with Colt at the borders and she wanted to go back further than that, and explain to Towhee what she’d tried to explain that day- but Towhee had attacked at the word Blackfeather. She supposed then that the rest didn’t matter- the wolf had been a Blackfeather wolf, and that was enough for Towhee to know. 

-He got there right before you.- She said, both speaking out loud and signing. -I met the stupid bitch by myself...I called for you ‘cause I hadn’t made up my mind about what to do with her and I knew you would know.- She said. As she had expressed before, Towhee had every ounce of Niamh’s confidence and loyalty. 

-As soon as you heard “Blackfeather” you attacked. But Colt tried to stop you, and he knocked you out cold.- She said, her eyes turning steely. She had to tell herself not to shake, but little tremors seeped through now and again. -He hurt you. Probably an accident- but he chose to protect a Blackfeather wolf, rather than you. That was his gut instinct. So mine was to kick him out.- She said, her voice trembling; it showed on her lips and in her whiskers. -She bolted. I told him to go after her and either kill her, or leave for good.- She said. That was about as muh as she could get out at once, and waited to see if Towhee expressed any concern or surprise at what she’d said...Which would indicate any amount of clash between her story and the one Quixote had told her.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her story of that day's events jived pretty well with Quixote's version. She did clarify the most crucial piece of the puzzle: Colt had tried to thwart her attack and knocked her out somehow. Towhee still wanted to know the specifics of that, though her Person definitely termed it an accident. She did use the word "probably," though, and Towhee's lips thinned as she shot Phox a glance. What did he make of all this?

"Qui said you changed your mind and went after Colt." She didn't bother mentioning the Alpha's concern over Niamh calling for help but not for Raven specifically, nor his irritation that she'd left Towhee in his care. She simply didn't care about those details. She'd raised the alarm, then waited until someone was with the downed Beta before splitting, so what was the problem? There wasn't one, in Towhee's opinion.

But she was immensely curious as to why Niamh exiled him, only to renege moments later. "I gotta say... 'thank you' doesn't really seem right, does it? But you kicked out your own mate for me. It sounds like you didn't even have to think about it, you just... did it. That's—I'm humbled by your loyalty, Niamh." She exhaled. "But why go after him? And what happened then?"

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox "listened" as Niamh told the story. Her ptero was much better than Quixote's, which was well-noted by the black and silver Redhawk. Quixote seemed to stumble over every other word, but it appeared that Niamh had taken the time to learn Towhee's language... presumably to better communicate with her Person and fellow leader. Why was that so hard for Quixote, then? That was another strike against him.

He took in what she said, knowing that it sounded a lot like something Towhee would do. The fact that Colt had intercepted her was unacceptable in his mind. He likely would have chased off a pack member who did not seem loyal, too. What would make him want to do that? The Blackfeathers were the ones who had caused all the drama that led to him bolting (piece of shit coward), and he could only imagine Towhee's feelings toward them.

Remaining a silent observer seemed like the best course of action, and since Towhee was asking the pertinent questions, he continued to look at Niamh expectantly. Also, if Colt was gone (kicked out for good?), did that mean Niamh was done with him? Phox could only hope so, for her sake. He had done nothing to impress Phox, and this story certainly wasn't helping him get on Phox's good side.
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh's ears flicked slightly when Towhee mentioned the fact that she had chosen to go after Colt, and she nodded. There was no denying the fact that she had rushed into decisions on that day- her first was to chase him off, but then...Of course, she'd regretted it. -Once you were safe.- She said, as she'd gone absolutely nowhere until someone had come to take care of Towhee. Her call had been a general plea for help, but Quixote had been the first to answer. It didn't make her feel any less guilty for having abandoned Towhee, though, even once she had someone with her.

Towhee expressed her gratitude, which meant the world to Niamh. She felt tears prick at her eyes, and she leaned forward to touch her nose to Towhee's cheek. -You're my person. And you were alpha when I got here, and then became my best friend. You'll always be number 1 in my books.- Perhaps it had ended up making her a bad mate- but she had the space in her heart for both...Unfortunately, when the two clashed, she had obviously chosen to go with her first priority, which was Towhee. It hadn't even occurred to her to do otherwise. 

-I think I just needed to search for him a bit. Quixote forbade me from looking for Ambrose; he almost wouldn't even let me see where Ambrose had been attacked...And I couldn't stand to just be on his leash again and let another wolf I loved go off and never come back without at least trying to find them.- It had torn her apart to remain tethered to the pack when Ambrose had been attacked and had disappeared. She shook her head. -Ambrose is probably dead. Because I didn't go looking for him, because Quixote wouldn't let me. Maybe I could've found him and got him help. But I didn't, and I'm ashamed.- She admitted. -I couldn't live with doing that twice. I had to look- and I went sort of on a- She stopped, and yawned. -Sorry. I went on a wide patrol, and did pretty much a ring around the plateau, but a few miles off in each direction to scan for other jerks.- She stopped and yawned again. She hadn't gotten much rest on her patrol, and shrugged. -Came back and went directly to find you...But Quixote stopped me and schooled me like a child. 'And WHERE do you think you're going?'- She said, imitating Quixote's facial expression and tone as well as she could. She yawned again. -Didn' even get a nap.- She wanted to add Or a thank you but she doubted very much that Quixote was grateful whatsoever for what she'd done.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee remained silent and still as Niamh regaled her with the next chapter of the story. She only knew vaguely of Ambrose's situation (from Niamh herself) but she hadn't realized Quixote had prohibited her from searching for her brother. Although she understood and agreed with that call on some level—leaving the plateau seemed to lead to bad news half the time, in Towhee's experience—but it didn't sit right with her that he'd leashed his fellow leader that way. Just like it didn't go over well with her that Quixote had abruptly stripped Niamh of her rank.

"He demoted you," Towhee said, once more repeating what the Alpha had told her. "He told me he did it for your mental health. He said something about Screech. In any case, it didn't sound like it was mutual. Honestly, it didn't sound like the reasons he told me were the real reasons either. But I want to hear your take on that."

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
He prohibited her from looking for somebody? Phox knew that if Quixote had told him not to go looking for Towhee, he would have ignored that order. He might not have gone far away, but he would have done what Niamh had done and looked nearby. Pack was supposed to look out for one another. It didn't sound like Niamh had done anything that he would not have done... but then again, Quixote seemed to treat Phox like a child, too. Oddly, Towhee was excluded from this treatment for reasons Phox couldn't even begin to comprehend. If it was an age bias, it didn't make a lick of sense.

Niamh's yawning did not go unnoticed, and a look of concern washed over his face. He had been out of earshot when Towhee had asked the question to Quixote, but it occurred to him now that Towhee was the beta, and she probably should have been consulted in all this. There had been three leaders, and Quixote had made the decision on his own that Niamh needed to step down. It put a sour taste in Phox's mouth, one that only seemed to be getting stronger.
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Stubbornly, Niamh rolled her eyes at the mention of her mental health, and flattened her ears. Though she had almost partially admitted that she needed the break- for her mental health- she still detested the fact that Quixote was the one trying to tell her something was wrong with the way she felt. She frowned grimly, setting her teeth together until she could hear them groan slightly, and felt her jaw flex. Her mental health was, naturally, a sensitive topic- though Quixote had tried to spare her some pain by booting Phox out of his conversation with Towhee, the real wolf that Niamh had wanted to avoid having any say or speculation on the matter was Quixote himself...Even though he was likely right about the whole thing. 

-I didn't want to step down. I think he was trying to spare me the shame of outright saying he demoted me.- She said. She was tired and frustrated, and was likely getting the whole story wrong- but it wouldn't be the first or last time she misinterpreted Quixote's motivation. -He's sour 'cause I kicked his only friend out of the pack for reasons he deems unfit. Demoted me 'cause he wants to keep me from tripping out on any other visitors at the borders like a newbie. His words.- She said- though the only real word he'd used that she'd quoted was 'newbie.' I brought up Screech because I was afraid that you'd end up the same way as him...That's why I flipped out at Colt. I got triggered by seeing you knocked out. He hurt you, and even if it was an accident, he was doing it to protect that Blackfeather wolf and that's not OK. She said boldly.

She eyed Towhee for a moment, and then glanced over her shoulder- as though expecting Quixote to stride out at any point, before she shook her head. -I'm surprised you're here, even. He told me not to talk to you. Said to talk to anyone but you.- She admitted with a tired shrug.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Everything Niamh said confirmed Towhee's suspicions. She wasn't sure what to do with any of this information just yet, though she was glad she'd sought both sides to the story. She was definitely biased but she'd done her due diligence, especially talking to Quixote first. She drew in a breath, glancing at Phox and wondering what he thought. For that matter, what had he said to Quixote to set him off on a spiel? She'd have to ask him after they were done here.

"This situation is pretty fucked up," the remaining Beta summarized, "and I need some time to think things over. For what it's worth, Niamh, I'm sorry about Colt. And about your rank. I want to do something about all of this, I'm just not sure what yet." Towhee caught herself wishing Rave had never stepped down. This all would've gone a lot differently if her sister was still in charge, balancing out Quixote. She would've helped counsel Niamh if she really needed it, not pitched her out of leadership.

"I'm not sure why on earth Qui would ever try to discourage you from talking to me or vice versa. Talk about an exercise in futility," Towhee grumbled with her next breath. She didn't dislike Quixote outright the way Niamh did, though she really disliked his actions of late and the position she could already feel it was putting her in. "Anyway, we'll figure out something. In the meantime, is there anything we can do? Even if it's just let you sleep."

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox continued to "listen" to Niamh's story. It became obvious (painfully so), that it had not been her decision at all to step down. He had demoted her and without Towhee's input, no less. Phox failed to see that kicking Colt out without any input was doing much the same... but that was beside the point. Colt had defended somebody outside the Redhawks. Niamh's last sentiment about talking to Towhee was the most confusing, though. Hadn't Quixote instructed Towhee to find Niamh? Was he remembering that all wrong?

He fully intended on bringing by whatever he could scrounge up hunting-wise later today. Even if she wouldn't be awake to eat it right away, it would help when she did finally wake up. He nodded along to Towhee's sentiment anyway, casting Niamh a glance as well, wondering if Colt would end up coming back or not. Okay buddy, you're getting a little ahead of yourself. I'll bring by some food later, he said. It wasn't a question of whether or not she wanted it. She was gonna accept it, gosh dangit!
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh shook her head- but in agreement with Towhee's statement. Things were pretty messed up, even though Niamh was oblivious to the fact that she was the one who was messing them up. Towhee empathized with her and Niamh regarded her meaningfully- but then frowned. Wasn't this why Quixote hadn't wanted her to talk to Towhee? She felt guilty then, and had the ominous feeling that he would get mad at her- or worse, disappointed, that she had in fact spoken to Towhee. He would have known, though, wouldn't he? If she'd just come from speaking with him, he had to have known that she'd be pressed for facts. And she had to obey her beta, right? She could at least use that as her excuse for talking to Towhee- she was superior to her in rank...She had to do as her superior asked...

Regardless, it was a massive mess, and Niamh was done with it. To her puzzlement as to why Quixote didn't want the two to talk, she shrugged. -He said you'd be biased. Friends're always biased.- For once, something that was actually fairly close to the truth. -I'm not sure I belong here, if he stays as alpha.- She admitted. -I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable, owing him my respect just because of his rank.- She said; it was the first time she'd openly considered leaving, but it hurt her to think of leaving the pack when Towhee was still in it. She shook her head, and then nodded- a bit addled. -Yeh, I need a nap. And thanks, Phox,- She said, and while she wouldn't normally accept pity food, she could definitely do with a meal.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Weren't packs supposed to be families, though? Weren't family members probably even more biased? Towhee snorted inwardly, though she didn't react outwardly. It was all rather moot, wasn't it? Quixote couldn't control his Betas (past or present) or anyone else in the pack, at least not to that extent.

Phox mentioned fetching some fresh food and Towhee nodded at him, then returned her attention to Niamh just in time to catch her remark about belonging. It felt like someone had cracked an egg full of lava on top of her head and all the fiery yolk was streaming down her shoulders and back, sinking into her spine and setting her guts on fire.

"You belong here, Niamh, and don't you dare let Quixote make you feel otherwise. Don't you dare let him push you out of this pack." Her words were a little more shaky than usual, they were so charged full of emotion, her orange eyes boring into her Person's. It wasn't even really a command; she was begging. "Don't. You. Fuckin'. Dare. Okay?" she repeated before swallowing thickly and striding after Phox.

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,597 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox wrinkled his nose when Niamh said she wasn't sure if she'd belong here. Surely, this was only because of the super recent events. -When I came back, you two were the ones who took an active interest in getting me integrated back with the pack,- he said, glancing to Towhee. -Quixote didn't even make an effort to get to know me.- They were his de facto closest friends, along with Camilla who was... well, a special case. Speaking of, he really did need to track her down right after he grabbed a meal for Niamh and make sure she was doing okay. Towhee's yelling probably hadn't helped her state of mind, and he knew it was going to take some time to get her to settle down.

Confident that their words had stuck with her, Phox bumped shoulders with Towhee on their way out. -I'm going to go look for Camilla. Pretty sure you scared the tail right off of her.- That joke was probably in poor taste, considering what would happen to Cinder in the near future.
player preferences
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Just about one step away from turning into a pumpkin, Niamh was so tired that it took her a moment to realize what was going on when Towhee faced her directly and spoke in a too-loud voice, heavily punctuated for emphasis. She cowered at first, thinking that Towhee had suddenly turned on her, by the tone of her voice. One second later, though, she found her heart melting slightly, warmed by the meaning behind Towhee's words. While Quixote had made her leave feeling like an idiot, Towhee had stepped up and replaced some of her self-worth, and made her feel like she actually belonged there. Whether it would be enough or not, she didn't know- but in the meantime, it made her feel loved and welcomed. 

She bid them a shaky farewell and retreated inside her den, circling a few times in the fluffy bed she and Colt had made before she flopped down. Try as she might, though, she wouldn't fall asleep easily.