Ocean's Breath Plateau Whatever happened to my Transylvania Twist?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
This morning, Towhee spent a few minutes at her makeshift memorial site before setting out on patrol. When that was done, she decided to indulge a little more wanderlust today. Though she was happy to help her daughter and son-in-law establish their claim, she wasn’t actually planning on living at the copse long-term. She still intended to travel, albeit less as the weather cooled.

On a whim, she decided to head toward the coast. Maybe she could check in with her new friend, @Rodyn, or Phox’s potential match, @Heph, at Moontide. Perhaps the widower’s pups were back with him by now and she could meet them. The thought brought a bittersweet smile to her lips as she picked her way through swamp and slough.

With muddy paws and plenty of burdocks, she made it to the plains. She paused a moment to scent the salty breeze, which made her heart ache for Sweetharbor. While she was here on the coast, she would pick up another stone or something similar to add to Caracal’s memorial, she decided. Then she pushed all thought about that situation from her mind, before the inevitable anger reared its ugly head.

With a flick of her tail, she turned east, the late October sunshine warm on her back as the land sloped beneath her feet. Before she came too close to the plateau proper, Towhee halted. She turned her head to her left and caught a glimpse of the sprawling sea before closing her eyes and howling to announce her presence at Moontide’s borders.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph heard the call and did not hesitate, she was coming from the coast rather than from the plateau and yet much kept her within the shadow of Moontide's territory. It was a place she was glad to be though, and she took the time to map out better the craigs and valleys and hidden corners along the sea stacks. "Hello," Her voice was bright, a compliment already on her tongue, and yet her gaze flicked over the stranger twice, a slight inhale, and she thought there was something familiar.

Curiosity tinted her voice and she introduced herself quickly. "I'm Heph." She breathed in, just slightly, as if a second pass would tell her what was tugging at her memory about this stranger. Many scents clung to her, but picking them out was difficult. "What brings you to Moontide?"
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
While she waited for someone to arrive, Towhee kept her head tilted upward to continue sifting through the scents on the breeze. She swore she smelled @Sialuk, @Seal and some others from Moonspear. She supposed they could be blowing down from the mountain, though that didn’t seem quite right. Perhaps they were visiting.

As much as she would’ve liked to see them, she was here to speak to someone from Moontide. And on that note, she wasn’t disappointed. A she-wolf approached wearing a salt and pepper (heavy on the pepper) coat over a sinewy build. Towhee got a glimpse of brown eyes and a greeting before she politely averted her gaze.

Heph, Towhee repeated, lips curling slightly. I believe you know my brother, Phox. I’m Towhee Redhawk and I’m just here to pester the neighbors, and perhaps take this opportunity to vet the woman Kukutux thought might make a good match for her closest companion. How’s Rodyn doing? By the way, I have to look at your face to read your lips, since I’m deaf. I mean no disrespect.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
The pieces fell into place and she smiled, nervousness thrummed at the edges of her consciousness, but curiosity was stronger. "Ahhh it's good to meet you. In that case welcome. Moonwoman and some of Moonspear and Moonglow are visiting for a winter hunt so you've come at the perfect time if it's company you're after." While Moonwoman had not met Phox before telling Heph of him she had met Towhee before, and had spoken a little on his family. With that she could guess that knowledge of their presence might be welcome.

She blinked in surprise for a moment, somehow it was a detail that had slipped either through her memory or through conversation. But if she paid attention to slight movement of the other wolf's gaze she thought she could tell that Towhee was indeed looking towards her face. "No worries, I'm not much on formality when it's not needed. Let me know if you don't catch something, I don't think I've met anyone unable to hear before so I may be a poor speaker."

At the mention of Rodyn she let a breath move through her body before answering, unsure of what to share, but Towhee spoke as if she knew him, to ask after him specifically seemed as though she cared about the reply. So she spoke truly, even if it was difficult to put into words. "Rodyn is. He is back with his children and we are glad, but. It's still hard." After all Samani was still gone, and he had spent so much time in Moonspear. Being back himself could not bring her back, nor did it help fade the memories of her presence now gone.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Heph enunciated clearly enough that Towhee had no trouble following her, though she did not interrupt to let her know this. She let the woman finish speaking, absorbing all the news she shared with a small measure of warmth spreading in her chest. Not only was Rodyn reunited with his children, Towhee’s own family was currently here too.

I thought I smelled my granddaughter. Do you know Seal? Thank you for the welcome, by the way, and your lips are easy enough to read. Towhee paused, then tacked on another question. Were you close to Samani as well?

Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph tucked the name away, she might have met the wolf in passing, but had not had the chance to speak enough to call any specific interaction to mind. "I don't think so. Is she from Moonspear or Moonglow?" It would make more sense than another addition to Moontide that Heph was unaware of although that was possible as well.

At the mention of Samani she blinked, but answered, the words spilling from her lips perhaps more openly than she had intended. "I didn't know her very long, but...yes. I...We were going to adventure together, I was looking forward to meeting her children, now..." She breathed, Panuk and Rolayne were back, and yet she had missed so much already. And she was still not there to see it. "Sorry, I...yes, we were."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The name evoked an emotive response from Heph. Without familiarity or tone, it was a bit hard to gauge it, exactly. Towhee worried that saying her name in front of her was another faux pas. But after remembering how much it had meant to Rodyn to acknowledge Samani aloud, she couldn’t bring herself to regret it.

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s always hard losing someone, though these feel like particularly tragic circumstances, don’t they? My own mother died in childbirth, so I never knew her. But those who raised me made sure to tell me all about her. I’m sure you and Rodyn will do the same with Samani’s memory. She’ll be a part of their lives, even if she couldn’t be here for them.

After giving Heph a moment to absorb that, Towhee thought to add, Seal lives in Moonspear. Her mother—my daughter—is Meerkat. She and her mate have recently relocated to Sun Mote Copse to start their own pack. I’m sort of helping them set up camp, though I’m not officially part of it. There’s another pack starting up in the strath too, in case that news is of any interest to Moontide.

Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
"I-I hope so. Thank you." A worry in her chest eased, still there but more easily dislodged. She did not know Panuk and Rolayne well yet, but she had hopes to, knew that Rodyn would not let them grow up without knowing anything of their mother, and yet she still feared toeing that line between burdening them with a loss they otherwise would not have felt and leaving them with a void where she had been.

Something about the name Meerkat sounded familiar, Chakliux may have told her of the name, but she thought she recalled something else. Njord, when he had visited she remembered had spoken of news in Moonspear and mentioned her as well. Almost to herself she remembered more fully. "Oh she is Njord's daughter too then. He and Ray visited here some time ago and told us of Moonspear, Ray stayed here awhile before setting out on his own adventure. It seems as if the world is smaller than I give it credit for." A bit of a smile slashed across her lips. Of course the world always seemed large enough to wander endlessly and yet small enough in that one was always meeting unexpected faces. It was an odd quirk but one she often delighted in.

She had not heard that there was another pack forming and tucked the information away. "Thank you for the news, it was good to hear from them, perhaps in time we'll be able to return the favor and visit them as well once we start to build up our winter caches." From her travels west towards the isle she had garnered some idea of where the territory mentioned might be, but it would still be a welcome exploration to find it. With Rodyn returned she might be able to make the journey with Iiana and hunt along the plains so that they did not show up empty-handed.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Yes, Meerkat and Njord, Towhee concurred. Ray is one of their older children, and technically her firstborn grandson, though Killdeer would always hold that title in her heart and mind. Although it doesn’t quite fit the naming convention, I know the copse is intended to be part of the moon network. Maybe now that it includes the sun too, we can call it the galactic alliance, she quipped with a snort.

And that turned her thoughts toward her brother, the astronomer. Phox really hadn’t said much about Heph, though he hadn’t needed to. Towhee recalled the look on his face when he’d mentioned meeting her a few weeks back. Apparently Kukutux had told Heph she and Phox might make a good match. Towhee wondered if she might walk away from this encounter with the same opinion.

I’d love to track down your visitors while I’m out this way. Or if they’re busy preparing for the hunt, maybe we could drop in on Rodyn and his littles. If any of that’s too much to ask, I understand. I’m fine if you and I keep chatting. Maybe you can help me find a nice stone to take back to the copse. And we can gossip about my brother, if he’s of any particular interest to you, Towhee hinted, eyes doing a waggish little dance.

Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
At Towhee's snort a glimmer reached Heph's eye at the chance of humor. Ears flickering a short laugh escaped her. "Celestial would sound more pretentious." It amazed her to see allies spread around, but she was glad of it. She wondered, sometimes, if there was an upper limit to how this many wolves could remain at least somewhat known to one another but that was part of the ever-changing landscape and they would traverse it as they approached.

Shaking her head easily she replied readily. "Of course, you're welcome here and if you'd like help hunting down anyone in particular let me know. We can chat on the way to where I think they're gathering." The suggestive lilt of her eyes made Heph bark out a laugh as much as it caused her ears to swivel in a hint of uncertainty. Phox had aided them on the hunt and they had crossed paths a few times. Admiring and appreciating his skill came easily, and his solid manner and willingness to joke hinted at someone she whose company she would enjoy with or without the buffer of another. But it had been harder to find time between the two of them beyond brief encounters to feel how conversation might flow there or even to discuss more practical concerns. Her mouth twisted up into a sly smile. "Well I'd always welcome gossip of Phox, although I'd wager you have more recent news than me." She had not expected him to remain with Moontide indefinitely, but she was not sure when and where their paths would cross again. If it came to she supposed she could always hunt him down, hopefully that would be seen as only somewhat forward rather than of the stalker variety.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
None of her requests were met with any resistance. Towhee mulled it over and decided she would rather spend her brief time here checking in with @Rodyn, if it didn’t make any difference to Heph. She could always see the others when they were back home at Moonspear.

Let’s go find Rodyn. I’d love to meet his sons, Towhee said. And as for my brother, well, I’m probably biased but I don’t think you could find a better catch, honestly. He’s not in his salad days anymore but he’s such a kind, gentle soul. And he’s a fantastic dad. He’s helped me raise some of my children, as well as his own. He’s had terrible luck in the marriage department but he’s never once let down his kids.

Did Heph want kids? Towhee wondered, though it was perhaps too soon to bring up such a direct question, at least in the context of pairing her with Phox. Perhaps she might bring it up on her own, though. At least, Towhee could hope, as they presumably began their trek to find Moontide’s Alpha.

Tag is for visibility! You are more than welcome to hop in here, Danni, but no obligation, especially since this is an older thread. :)

Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn would welcome the distraction. His boys playing nearby. @Rolayne and @Panuk each dealing with the changes differently. He would whisper to them of their mother, but was always sure to give credit to Sialuk as 2nd mother. At least when they would listen.

Towhee amd Heph would find him working on a deer hide while the boys played to give them so comfort in the winter days coming.

Tags for reference but feel free to jump in if you so please
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
While Moonwoman had related some of this to Heph before it was different hearing it from someone who knew Phox well, and it made her smile to know that his kind demeanor went down to the core, and he had not only done his duty by his children but seemed to genuinely care for them. A year or so ago and Heph would have never imagined leading a settled enough life to have kids, and yet in Moontide she could imagine it and even look forward to the prospect. "Well I hope he wouldn't mind having more in that case, it sounds like he's done well by them." She spotted Rodyn over a carcass and laughed a smile on her face to see the leader of Moontide.

Barking a heads up she approached. "Rodyn! Towhee caught me exploring and now you working, you're making me look like quite the slackard." She glanced around for Rolayne and Panuk, but though she tried to seek them out and spend time with them, tell them stories, or even just play, they dealt with their arrival differently and she was a stranger to them in many ways. She could not begrudge them any reticence though it hurt.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He wouldn’t, Towhee assured, fighting an idiotic smile. Is that something you want for yourself? Children? she added.

Speaking of which, they arrived at Rodyn’s den site. Towhee’s orange gaze swept the area before zeroing in on the Alpha male and the two little boys playing nearby. It appeared Rodyn was cleaning a hide, perhaps to warm their humble home.

Hiya, Towhee said to all three of them, missing Heph’s self-deprecating greeting. She did turn to say to her, I’d like to hang out here for a bit, if you’d like to continue this conversation? I could talk about Phox for ages. But if you have other stuff to do, don’t let me keep you. We can always reconvene later.

Shooting smiles all around, Towhee padded closer to Rodyn with an assessing look on her face. He looked a little tired, though that was unsurprising. Towhee was singularly aware of just how tough single parenthood could be, even with a village to back you.

How’s everyone doing today? she asked on an exhale, taking a seat.

Would you guys like to fade here? Then we can have many more now that Towhee’s here to stay for a bit.

Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,258 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Last from me.

Rodyn would meet Heph's words with a small chuckle and an open faced smile. Eyes bright and laughter in them, for once. The greying of the emotions were still there, but he was learning to do better. Slowly. At least when he had company.

Towhee. How good to see you. He pointed out the children to her. This is Panuk and this one is Rolayne.

He would set the deer hide aside and greet both of them and speak with them on whatever they wished to speak on until one or both would have to take their leave.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moontide
Beta*
722 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
[/ooc]last from me as well[/ooc]

A somewhat more nervous grin but a smile nonetheless when she found herself answering with a nod. "I think so."

She was glad to see Rodyn greeting them with a smile, he was still muted but less distant, and as much as she missed Samani and did not want the ache of her to fade she would be glad to see grief shift and morph into something more manageable to carry. She would also take a seat, greet the pups and speak with Rodyn until she grew restless once again and bid her goodbyes with promises to speak later.