Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
makin an assumption, message me if no <3

She'd been meaning to come this way a while, but hadn't realized how close the place truly was.  She'd nabbed @Erzulie for a getaway to the bay, just as she'd been saying, before the children took too far for such trips to be a possibility.  Her own heat hadn't come yet, a fact that was both a blessing and a disappointment in equal measure.  She still didn't know what she felt about it, and the trip would hopefully clear her mind of such things for a while.

As she walked the familiar forest towards the shore, she breathed in, closing her eyes and listening.  This place shouldn't be this quiet, she said.  Perhaps the fact that it hadn't been claimed successfully since was proof that some curse held it as well.  Or was it only the places she stepped?
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
always <3

harps' death weighed heavily upon erzulie. instead of forcing herself to remain upon the plateau, seeking penance and therefore absolution through her work, the harlot was glad of a journey with her wife. flanks had not yet begun to swell with aningan's children, but she had quickened. of this she was certain.
the bay was indeed devoid of noise. it was as if their pack had never been, and she tasted the air. but no one had come to take up residence, and her thoughts silently aligned with that of rosalyn. "maybe it was meant to be reclaimed by de sea," erzulie murmured simply, though she moved forward with an elation unable to be veiled.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
AW? Strav Bay? COUNT ME T F IN

In light of recent events, Hydra ranged. A little beyond the Wilderness, in case this was the way the wretch who harmed her son had sought to escape to. @Alya moved with her, and together they searched the territories that led to the Bay in silence. It was clear Hydra desired to say nothing, her focus entirely on her hunt. They needed to find where it was creatures like their enemy slept. 

There was nothing of note that gave them any pause. When her paws hit the sand she remembered how much she had never really enjoyed the stuff, and yet, she traveled on. Salt permeated the air more than anything else; it seemed the shade had not come this way thus far. Arriving to the Bay Hydra could not even recall the memories shared here with her own family—that was how vested the matriarch was in her task. It was not time to think of the past. It was time to prepare for the future. 

Two wolves ahead of them; Alya kept her distance while investigating, but a low noise from her sister made Hydra look to them. As Alya continued to search in the backdrop, the matriarch strode toward the duo. One wolf was familiar to her, the other was not—but their encounter had not been a bad one. Good, actually; they had been helpful once. Perhaps they might be again. A chuff was sounded to catch their attentions, and Hydra loosed a yawn to reveal she was no threat herself to them. Not easily disarmed herself, though, and wary enough to keep her distance regardless, Hydra paused to keep plenty of distance between them. 

Her gaze shifted between duo. The moment seemed to be pleasant between them, though Hydra could not feel guilt for sharing what she must. Would they not want to know, if they had children of their own? I am seeking a wolf who has brought harm to my son; she would have been recently injured herself, for my packmate was able to intervene. The she-wolf traveled alone this day, but she has a companion, Merrick—he, too, preys on those unable to defend themselves. Or those that do not suspect his attack, Hydra drawled (thinking, the only way in which Merrick could have defeated the mercenary was the element of surprise), not going into too much detail lest they find themselves entirely disinterested. All that mattered to her was that she find them. That she kill them. 

Had these two seen the murderous duo? One of them? Both? Could they lead her in the right direction?
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
cameo unless she's acknowledged!

Several familiar scents, but none of them expected. She rose steadily from her slumber and grumbled at the resulting aches. Nearby were Rosalyn and Erzulie, and in the distance...Hydra? Seeing the three of them together was unexpected; what were they discussing? 

Ying walked quietly toward the trio, ears perked to hear the words spoken. She didn't hear enough to assume what the conversation was about, but thought that what she did hear was interesting enough to warrant further listening. While not trying to hide, Ying did remain on the sidelines, content to go unacknowledged for the time being.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
also cameo :> note: hua is NOT in heat !! 

She had found a trace of her sister's scent while wandering the shore. It led away- and so curiously, she followed as she could, eventually seeing the silver girl in the distance. She stood just off from a group of individuals- her military? But no, as she came closer, each became familiar. Rosalyn and Erzulie- whom she no longer held any anger for, only slight fear- and Hydra, who certainly still held her in fear. Were Ying involved, Huā would've been suspicious, but the girl seemed unengaged. Only a listener. And so Huā strode up beside her, gathering the confidence that it took to even approach. Even still, she would lay low, making no effort to make herself obvious to anyone except Ying- whom she gently bumped shoulders with upon arriving, deciding they could catch up later.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Their jaunt was swiftly interrupted.  At first she felt only frustration when two wolves appeared, but she recognized the one who approached soon enough.  She couldn't recall where from... and she spent a moment searching her features before giving up.  Not a bad memory, anyway.  Enemies she recalled easier.

I've not heard of any by that name.  There were plenty of she wolves, but no Merricks.  Rosalyn shifted a little impatiently, but gave Erzulie the space to answer.  

From the corner of her eye she caught sight of even more, and slowly her fur began to rise.  It was habitual instinct that lent her nerves now; they felt surrounding.  At least the others were far off, hanging back.  With only one good eye, her periphery gave her no detail.  She was lucky to have caught them at all.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
instincts piqued by the arrival of three wolves, two familiar and one unknown, erzulie glanced once to her mate and then laid mintglow gaze upon the dark woman.
she was powerfully built and striking. she relayed information that brought the harlot's ears cupping interestedly upon her head. "i have not heard dat name eit'er. we keep to ourselves," she went on, "but it would not hurt to keep our eyes open."
ying was given a polite nod, her sister a vague stare, before erzulie returned her attention to the one who had spoken. "dis man, what does he look like?"
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded to Rosalyn, and her eyes shifted to her companion when she looked to her. There was something to her that caused Hydra to recall that not everything was to be trusted at its face. Ezrulie was striking, but there was a way about her—perhaps impercebtible to any who did not recognize a fighters indomitable spirit—that caused Hydra to think that the meaning behind the word could be served in two separate ways by the other before her. Hydra's ears leaned forward to catch the words shared, and though it took a moment for her to understand with her unique accent (of which Hydra herself had yet to be exposed to), understand she did. 

Neither of them had encountered the trio. How fortunate for them; she did hope, for their benefit, it remained such a way. Hydra recalled his appearance aloud to them, precisely as Andraste herself had described: One-eyed, with a burnished ruff. I can describe the scent of them both when last I had it, for perhaps he lost another eye along the way, and at that, Hydra began to describe to them the notes of both their odors. 

Their attention on the horizon was not missed, and the matriarch turned to look and see Ying and her sister both. Unbothered by it, Hydra invited them closer to listen if they so wished to with a low chuff. Best they be made aware of all of this too, though Hydra did not intend to stay here for too much longer—long enough to share the necessities, and hear what information might be offered in turn if any. 

That in mind, there was more to be said and shared: There was another with them long ago. I do not know the nature of their relation, only that they fled together from their last attack several months ago. A she-wolf named Caiaphas. I do not know if their efforts are united, or separate. She has not personally attacked any of mine beforehand, the mercenary and his children having joined well after their events, though some imagine it could be linked. If that was so, it was neither here nor there. Hydra would kill her one way or the other if she was given the opportunity to. Still, it felt only right to forewarn the duo of the dangers she had heard of so that, if anything, they could avoid it themselves—or know it when they heard it, saw it, came within its scent.
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
she's just listening. feel free to skip!

Interested, she took another step forward. Each woman had acknowledged the sister pair, some to a higher degree than others. Ying flagged her tail for Hua to follow as she approached the group, eventually settling on the fringe of their meeting. The discussion up to this point had not been heard, but she intended to hear the rest.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
hua is also listening & can be skipped unless otherwise addressed ^.^
 As Hydra silently invited the sisters closer to listen, Huā would follow closely behind Ying as the silver girl lead the way. Uncomfortable about the Rusalkans, she would avoid their gazes, still feeling a tad fearful of the wives.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Erzulie had more patience for Hydra's inquiries, it seemed.  Rosalyn would have allowed the woman only a denial, but she supposed it was true; it couldn't hurt to promise to keep her eye open.

At Caiaphas' name, she tensed.  It seemed the woman still followed them, even after her death.  She wasn't interested in speaking on her any more than necessary, nor betraying their ties, so she held her silence.  Inwardly, however, she gritted her teeth.

What had the woman set in motion before departing?  What new danger was this band, and what did they mean for Rusalka?  She was a fool, maybe, for thinking the witch had spend her remaining days alone.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
to err upon the wrong side of hydra would be a misstep indeed. two-toned eyes watched closely, and ears drank in all the words the mountain wolf offered. while erzulie was disinterested in the affairs of others, it seemed this band had the potential to affect rusalka as well.
caiaphas.
she blinked. 
the wolves they had driven out felt altogether so close, and despite the seafoam eyes of the dark-headed girl, she resembled the crone in question far more than erzulie had realized. "caiaphas was once one of us," the harlot revealed, as much to absolve her pack as to include the impressive hydra in their narrative.
"she founded dis pack, an' den she abandoned it. it was said she went to exact revenge upon anot'er, an' killed a child. she was not allowed to return. dat was mont's ago," erzulie finished. she herself had not been present for the banishment, but all of rusalka knew the edict.
would hydra accept?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Ezrulie spoke, and Hydra looked upon the duo with a new understanding. 

These two were Rusalkan's. 

Hydra's gaze shifted to Huā, observing her discomfort. The matriarch deduced that these two, therefore, might be the leaders Ying had told her of... Ezrulie and Rosalyn. Armed with this knowledge now, her gaze shifted back to the one she assumed was Rosalyn (who was actually Ezrulie). To confirm her suspicions, Hydra drawled in a sort of half-question without judgment: you two are Rusalkan, waiting for some sort of confirmation before continuing on. How she might know that was anyones guess but for two present; Caiaphas was an infamous she-wolf, and who she had run with in her lifetime was likely not a mystery to many. 

I am glad to hear she was not welcomed back. I now seek her and those she travels with. I do not think this will be the final attack upon the young of the Wilds, she admitted. and I wish to bring an end to it. Is there anything about her I should know? It seemed they did not know her companions, and she hoped—for the sake of they and their children—they never would. Hydra sought any information that could, or would, be given. Identifiable scars, fighting style, anything and everything that could be spared. She wondered if these two had any love for the woman that they might not, despite not welcoming her back. If they were the leaders, she imagined one or the other might have something to share if that was not the case. But she also knew she could be wrong about their station, and their identity too. Hydra would not pretend that she felt certain of that when she did not.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Yes.  She's dead.  It would be so easy to say it.  But then Rosalyn would need to explain how she came by that information, and she did not need to. She'd shared it with Erzulie (or would, timelines willing.... she had no reason to hide it).  But Hydra did not need to know of Raleska, for too often wolves had funny notions of blood and revenge.

Raleska deserved no part of that legacy.

Chasing her is a waste of time.  Best to forget her... if she has any grudge against yours, she'll cross your borders soon enough.  Rosalyn's tone was tired, and it lacked the respect that Erzulie's carried.  It was the best tip she could offer, and would have been her only advice if the witch actually still lived.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
the bear seemed to gliter with an inner wrathworking that only appealed more to the harlot. what zeal drove this mountain woman? she was seeking caiaphas, and with a vengeance that at any other time, erzulie would find admirable. in the face of all that rusalka had suffered, and now with the peering eyes of ying and her sister, she felt her mouth harden.
"a black head. not a powerful build, but she be a warrior true."
after granting hydra as many details of the seawitch as came to mind, the beta fell silent. rosalyn's words rang between them. there was nothing more to be said. she had been one of them and was no longer.
in the back of her mind, erzulie did not care that caiaphas had supposedly killed children. it was the quickest way to exact a pound of flesh from one's enemy. the old woman had been a fool to go it alone, however.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hearing all of this was good to know. Perhaps it might simply be best to let their enemy come to them. In the same vein, though, once it branched out she considered the merit of just finding them and ripping their heads from their necks. Her son had just been attacked after all, and she wanted her own justice... but impatience never won any battles. In fact, it often lost them. Recognizing this as Rosalyn spoke, Hydra nodded. Perhaps she ought to return home sooner then. Bolster their defenses... 

The bitch who had struck him still felt close enough to taste, though. It grated on her nerves. 

Ezrulie spoke what she had suspected, and the matriarch nodded. Alright. I thank you, the both of you. If you meet the boy... perhaps he is a man now, I do not know... or his companion she wanted to say, kill them. But a failure of that could implicate them, and she did not wish to bring more into this who clearly wanted no part. Rosalyn and Ezrulie were likely wearied by their own life events; Hydra remembered the famine, and the chaos that had caused. Understanding seemed present, be careful. Do what you must; I only ask you not reveal that any has been seeking them, she drawled. They did not know they sought retribution for certain, and the element of surprise was something the matriarch hoped to keep. 

Her gaze turned to Ying and her sister, and she nodded to them. Alya seemed to understand it was time to go; Hydra turned on her heel and waited for any more words from all parties prior to quitting the scene with her. They had work to do... and it was toward Moonspear the matriarch would return. She welcomed the sisters to join her if they wished, or else to continue speaking with the Rusalkans she had come across. New scents and new [presumed] names, and confirmation that Caiaphas was indeed a warrior true. 

It was time to prepare. 
Sorry for posting out of turn! Thinking this may have reached a natural conclusion so pulling 'dra out with this post <3
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn silently scoffed as the woman bid them to be careful.  As if she had any reason to care, or any claim to knowing better than they.  But she was in a mood, and the woman's air didn't sit all that well with the pirate.

She had no reason to help this woman, or to think she'd see her again.  She looked familiar, but that was more likely a trick of the light.  There were so many dark wolves in these wilds.

So instead she turned to Hua and Ying, eying them as they lurked.  And you? What do you want? she asked.  The question was a little scornful, but she disliked that they hovered on the edge.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
rosalyn's frustration and bitter response to the pall of caiaphas hanging over them was palpable. erzulie too was wearied; perhaps were it not for the crowding she-wolves at the dark one's flanks she might have found herself more amenable. the queenly beast was not someone who had ever worn the chain of a man, and erzulie found it satisfying. in a place of fierce she-wolves, her daughters too would find the achievement of ruler.
a nod to the warrior's words. she had no intention of repeating such, to any creature. the sooner word of the witch died, the sooner erzulie could grieve caiaphas as the shrewd governor she had been.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Huā listened on quietly, carefully jotting down the notes of it all. The one they searched for was not unlike Huā herself, she realized, and hoped none would turn on her too fast for the coincidence. She would never condone the killing of innocent children- perhaps those unruly children of Rusalka, but never one who had done nothing. As she sensed the meeting coming to a close, Huā paid a respectful nod to Hydra and her twin. She began to turn, but the voice of Rosalyn interrupted her exit. The siren turned back, fixing her eyes on the wives. What we want? She snorted, Nothing of you. We here for Hydra. Goodbye, She pronounced with a relaxed wave of her tail, before setting off in the direction of the isle once more. Ying might not follow- but she knew they would meet again soon, and have discussion then.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Patience already thin, Rosalyn's hackles rose. It was tempting to come to blows then; the pirate's temper was always quick, but it would take more than this for her to incite war.  And as much as she hated it, the sisters had a pack now.  So she allowed the comment to pass, but whatever comraderie she might have felt towards Hua died in the iciness of her words.  She'd held no true ill will until that moment.

Then, with a breath, she turned.  And, catching Erzulie's gaze, she began to depart back towards Rusalka.  This encounter hadn't been the restful respite she wanted, and it solidified something; things changed.  Perhaps dwelling in the past was a fool's errand.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
hua was swift to issue a barb, but erzulie only laughed aloud. when the others had filed away, she shook out her cream hackles and set her pace to match rosalyn, pleased to move away from this locale toward something more familiar.