Bearclaw Valley there is nothing you can do for them,
i'm going to bring it all back to you
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
All Welcome 

astara had little concept of a calendar, but she knew that the puppies were fast outgrowing their birth chamber. they were bigger, more mobile, ready for new things -- and astara was growing tired of constantly nipping them back into the den.

it was a cool, sunny morning as astara poked her head outside of tumbleview's den, and listened curiously for the usual chorus of early morning. after a few moments, astara's head retreated and she nudged both of her children awake (if they were not already).

once she saw both had her attention, astara left the den.

she nimbly leapt down the column of stones, turning around to survey how avicus and aventus did handling the stony drop. once they were on firm soil, astara began a loose trot down a pinestraw laden trail.

she kept an ear behind her from time to time, but always set her pace enough that both her children would have to work to keep up with her. she hoped, in this way, she could keep their attention on her -- they did not have long to travel, but astara did not want either to slip off.

eventually the trail lead to a panned out meadow -- the grassy clearing merrick had held many of his summons. the rendezous was not far off -- and this was to be their new home now.

»» they may promise you that the river ain't too deep. ««
»» player policies ««
this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
since the baptism, merrick found he had unlocked some ability to rather enjoy his time about avicus and aventus. avi. ave. he remained aloof, but as they grew, he discovered excuses to come about somewhat more often. a mouse here. a scapula there. more things to kill.
he tested the gentle wind; heavy scent of the meeting-place blossoms stark in the hot air, and the corvid's fluting bouquet interlaced there. gleefully merrick came upon the meadow, by and by, and across the way spied the three forms, one a tall shadow, one a ruddy glow, one a smudge of darkness. tail flown above his narrow haunches, the coywolf trotted toward them, gaze as always for his mate first.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
From the moment he was awakened, Aventus could almost taste the charged atmosphere around his dam. She prodded both of her cubs awake, and with a meaningful look, departed. Aventus, knowing by now his mother's signals, loped out of the den after her.

Only this time, she went a different way than normal. The boy's steps faltered, but then he sprang after his mother, showing off both the bravado and agility that youth lent. But even once they reached level ground, Astara kept up a ground-eating pace that Aventus had to gallop to keep up with. One ear was trained desperately on her, while the other swivelled behind him, keeping tabs on his sister.

By the time they reached the meadow, Aventus was panting. Merrick was already there and made a beeline toward them. Feeling confident that the run was now over, Aventus slid down onto his belly, partially to show proper deference to his sire and partially to catch his breath. Investigating the meadow could wait a minute.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she follows after her mother with mixed emotions, both excited and apprehensive. the last time Astara had ferried them out of the den, she had attacked the other woman with pups. things seem to have settled since, but Avicus now wonders what now is afoot. normally quickest out of the gate, she follows after Aventus today, a fiery end to the line of dark wolves.

the trees and brush give way to open space, and within it is the one-eyed man, looking pleased. she draws alongside her brother; she, too, is panting, and lets out a relieved exhale as she sits back upon her haunches. her eyes scan the new surroundings, but eventually, they return to Merrick.

would there be a fight? no, the atmosphere did not feel charged enough for that. she wonders if another ceremony is in order, more painting of blood. the move from the den seems significant, and only when they've stayed for an extended period will she realize that this is permanent.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
an unusual air of purpose hung strident about astara. she paused once or twice to ascertain her children followed, noting today aventus lead the charge while avicus swung behind.

her ears pulled ahead as she caught the audible footsteps of merrick. she recognized that footfall pattern anywhere. while aventus plopped panting into the grass and avicus rested on her haunches, astara stood stock-still, eyes cautiously -- optimistically -- resting on the shape of her approaching soultie.

this was to be their new rendezvous -- they slept tonight among the stars and the souls of their pack.

»» player policies ««
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
"hello, brats," merrick greeted when he had come up, butted astara gently with his scarred crown against her shoulder. aventus as always was worshipful, avicus watchful. the bearwolf looked at each of them in turn, lips curving for the sight of his dark boy and red girl. "what do you think?" he demanded playfully, backing some steps to turn in a tight circle with a dramatic flourish toward the rest of the meadow.
and then his muzzle was lowered between them, prodding them with a controlled roughness away from the rook and into the sprawl of grasses. "go and see," he urged, though it would be a command to their young ears.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Well, actually, it could wait a while. He wouldn't mind a nap, but it wasn't meant to be.

There was Merrick, gesturing at the valley and then roughly pushing his cubs up and away from Astara. Aventus clacked his jaws together in protest as he stumbled to his paws, but he couldn't deliberately disobey his sire. He no longer knew why, because nothing significant had happened thus far, but he retained the belief in his bones that Merrick would do him great harm if he was disobedient.

So he went off into the meadow at a tired lope, canting his head to see where his sister was going. He bent to sniff a clump of sweetgrass, then meandered over to a large, flat rock, which he urinated on. In Merrick's presence, he dared not attempt to lift his leg to do so, although sometimes when he was alone he would make attempts to stand with authority when he did his business.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
hello, brats. she doesn't know what the greeting means, but he says it with an affection that pleases her. Merrick has warmed to them, eventually, and while she will never worship him quite like her brother, he has earned her favor. but the favor dissipates (at least in the moment) when he shoves them to their feet and onto the greater expanse

grumbling, Avicus zig-zags tiredly away, casting a glance or two back to Astara as she begrudgingly explores. she enters a tall patch of grass and finds herself concealed. a cricket chirps nearby, and she begins to nose around, questing.

it reveals itself with a poorly-timed hop her way. she lowers her muzzle and snaps it up like a russet crocodile, crunching the insect down. it's a far cry from the rich and full taste of red meat, but it's a snack—and she thinks she's found her project for the day. maybe Aventus will join her for snacktime, too.
the scenic solitude
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
merrick urged their children away, earning astara's pointed stare: why?

they were tired, her poor children. the world was long and endless, and they had only just dipped their toe in the waters. aventus and avicus both prowled off, the former sniffing and urinating on a patch of grass, while avicus hunted crickets in the loamy soil.

for a moment astara peered after them -- her children, her pride -- they were growing into fine little killers.

»» player policies ««
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
exhaustion made a clay more malleable. he shrugged airily in response to her look, grinning as avicus caught a bite and aventus reinforced the markings of their packland. their personalities were starkly apparent in this moment, but by and by merrick returned his attentions to the corvid.
he was jealous, had been jealous; he flicked back his bitten ears and sought some modicum of her affections. they belonged to him, that pair; he had accepted it now, forgiven the woman her distance and her censure. but they would never take the shadow from him: merrick knew that to his marrow.
6 / 2 THREADS
506 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Tactician
Probably my last post!

With his business concluded, Aventus mounted the rock in a single bound and curled up into a tight ball. Avicus was doing something interesting in the nearby long grass, but it wasn’t enough to entice him to his feet again. He angled his tall ears in her direction, watching for a moment, but it wasn’t long before his eyelids began to droop of their own accord.

A quick glance toward his parents, but neither of them was moving. He wasn’t confident he wouldn’t be left behind if he fell asleep here, but it was out of Aventus’ control. They’d had a long run and he wasn’t very interested in the rendezvous. It all made for a sleepy pup, and soon he was dozing.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
last post for me too!

she's swallowed maybe three or four crickets, and rears up to look beyond the grass. searching, searching—oh. Aventus has drifted off to sleep, curled up atop a rock. her parents are focused on each other. she is alone in this snacking quest.

Avicus lets out a brief exhale, a quiet snort, and continues on. the crickets have wised up, though; now that they're aware of the red menace, any flash of russet sends them hopping for the hills. after several unsuccessful attempts, she gives up the chase. 

she flops down lazily onto one side, panting slightly. her eyelids are drooping, too. should Astara and Merrick find her in only a few moments, she'll be well on her way to dream-land.
the scenic solitude
848 Posts
Ooc — Lauren
Guardian
Rogue
merrick held her gaze for but a moment (how brief, bittersweet, cruelly short!), but a grin held his features. astara marveled how such an expression could transform his dark and haunting face from cold to sunfire; how like sunlight it seemed to pass.

she glanced to her children, in quick mental inventory: aventus had clambered atop a rock, and curled there like some dark apparition. her daughter was out hazing crickets, though she too seemed to tire of it, and flopped down with pants that gradually stilled.

for a while the only noise between the family was the stir of insects and the buzz of leaves in high summer wind.

astara cherished this moment with a close of her eyes, resting her head against her lion's shoulder.

sleep first claimed her children, but now it came for the rook too. one last look to merrick -- a look full of sleepy love -- and astara's eyes closed.

»» player policies ««
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
fading <3

for a long while merrick watched over the trio as they slept: his raven nestled against him, avicus shimmering cardinal-red beneath the sun, aventus splayed over a stone as if he were a cormorant looking across the sea.
all was well and good within ursus. his children would be gods of the bear as he was. his love was queen among bruin-wolves, a title earned in effort and loyalty and a sea of crimson.
within his chest, the voice stirred as it had not in some time;
blood, it whispered in the sibilant grasping voice from beyond where merrick could see.
a grin to his lips, and then at last the bearwitch too slept.