Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
*tries to wave down @Rodyn*

Towhee enjoyed three idyllic days with her son before things took an alarming turn. No matter how much he tried to nurse, Bushtit kept unlatching. He cried, a distressing sight even without the accompanying noise. Despite trying to eat as much as she could, it seemed she just wasn’t producing enough milk for the hungry infant.

She had to do something. In the middle of the night, Towhee plucked up the squalling newborn and stepped out of the log. She knew she ought to let someone know what she was doing, though there wasn’t time. Besides, she refused to let go of her son, carrying him carefully but hastily to the northern borders and beyond.

Morning light pinked the eastern horizon as Towhee arrived at Moontide’s borders. Gently, she set the crying babe at her feet and then let out a loud distress call. She then promptly curled around him and tried to feed Bushtit again, practically crying herself when he successfully began to suckle.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn's head was promptly lifted in alarm at the distress call at his borders. He dropped the fish fur he'd been working on amd raced towards the borders. He recognized the voice.

Rodyn made it with sides heaving. A soft sheen of foam around his shoulders from the run and the surf. A soft pant. He couldn't speak at first. Ao he used his rudimentary ptero to ask Towhee what was wrong. Tapping her gently to get her attention.

He was surprised to hear the sound of a babe though he couldn't quite see it yet but he knew the sound of a hungry infant well.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She should’ve paid better attention to her surroundings, especially out here in the open, but Towhee only had eyes for her baby. She watched as a bit of milk dribbled out of the corner of his mouth. Relief mingled with worry, since there wasn’t a drop to waste.

Towhee startled when something touched her, wet eyes flying to Rodyn’s face. She opened her mouth and tried to speak, though her throat wouldn’t work. It took several attempts and a deep breath before she could finally manage.

In lieu of greetings or pleasantries, Towhee pleaded, Please tell me you have a nursing mother here.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Reyson had given her a rundown of what had transpired when Towhee had come to welcome him back to their new home—the plot twist being she had almost literally dropped a newborn pup into his arms.

She should have been surprised—shocked—but she just couldn’t be. Not with Towhee, and the thought had warmed her, despite her reservations on exactly how welcome she might be if the Redhawk’s eldest daughter made her way to the Copse.

Still, the quicksilver woman had made work to settle her family into a small place of their own—maybe even temporarily—and went about to gather a small care package for the once-again mother.

When the cries of a newborn woke her—Meadow lifted a paw to rub the sleep from her eyes and was quick on her feet—the care package in jaws before she began to make her way to where she believed Towhee to be—only to catch the Esquire stealing away quickly into the night.

She called to her—cursing when she remembered Towhee could not hear her—and made to flee after her.

But the mother and infant had been fast—and Meadow only now rounded upon her, placed upon the borders of another pack, tears  brimming in her eyes. She released a small gasp, embarrassed at how out of breath she was—eyes skimming upward to the man who greeted Towhee now, and ducking her muzzle lower to nudge at the nursing woman. “What in the world…?”
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn blinked in surprise as the second woman showed up as quick as the first. Hello. I'm Rodyn.

Then he focused back on Towhee. Sadness eating at him and a great feeling of general helplessness. All of our mothers have weaned their children. But we have some healers who have the knowledge to help induce lactation. And Moonwoman also I can call her or if ?

He looked to the new one that had arrived. He didn't know if she was a healer. But she smelled like herbs. I'm sorry I. But you smell like herbs. are you a healer too?
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee’s face did nothing to convey the gratitude she felt at Meadow’s presence. She barely acknowledged the woman before looking up at Rodyn in dismay. There were no nursing mothers here, though he offered the services of his healers before mentioning Kukutux. Then he addressed Meadow, leaving Towhee’s eyes to blur as she tipped her snout toward the infant nursing at her breast.

As soon as he’s finished feeding, I’ll go to Moonglow myself, she said to nobody in particular.

If Rodyn or Meadow had anything to say about that, their words would fall on deaf ears. The distressed mother blinked the moisture from her eyes, which remained glued on Bushtit. While he fed, she took steadying breaths and prepared herself for another march, this time to the next neighboring village.

Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The man spoke—and a frown flit across her features momentarily before she properly schooled it. Towhee sought a healer—lactation—and she felt the pang of it within her breast, though she would hide this by blinking momentarily, her eyes finally settling on the man as he questioned her.

Stark eyes set against a coat reminiscent of rich earth—brawn. Only a few years earlier, there might have been a blush that would have glossed over her cheeks at his presence. Reyson had, in all the best ways, turned her life a complete 180.

“Yep,” she offered, her response giving a little ‘pop’ to the ‘p’ at the end—the only insight to her thoughts on Towhee’s complete dismissal of her.

And still—the ‘new’ mother announced they would continue on then, and she blinked again. She did not argue—who was she to argue against a woman who was so desperately looking to help her child?

“Towhee—I do have experience helping in these matters,” she began—but whether ptero-speaking she-wolf acknowledged this or not, she did not know—all she did know, was she was not leaving her alone in this moment.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn shifted and shook his head. A small smile of bemusement on his face. THough he did look to the female Meadow. She looked a bit put out. He felt bad. But it was nothing that Towhee meant. She just was a single minded wolf at the best of times.

He crudely signed. Alright i'll come with and so will Meadow. But first i need to let the pack know.

Then he lifted his gaze. Are you okay if I accompany you and Towhee?
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She refused to move until she was certain her son had had enough to eat. In the meantime, she somewhat reluctantly lifted her eyes to her cohorts, just in time to catch Meadow’s entreaty.

But you’re not producing milk, she replied, guilt flickering darkly in her orange eyes, and that’s what I’m hoping to find: someone who is, because it wasn’t Towhee either.

She reminded herself that wasn’t totally true, taking some comfort in the sight of Bushtit feeding. But it wasn’t enough. And Towhee didn’t want to rely on medicines or wait for her milk to come in faster, not until she’d exhausted better options.

Bushtit finished, unlatching. Towhee nosed him, giving the boy a chance to toilet before giving him a quick bath. She then rose to her feet and gently lifted him in her mouth.

-Come on,- she signed jerkily to Rodyn and Meadow, squinting against the morning glare as they moved eastward.

Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Well—couldn’t fight facts—she definitely wasn’t producing milk.

Towhee’s focus was linear in the moment—and Meadow wouldn’t argue it. The mother wanted a fed child—not one who had to wait for more milk to come in as they worked herbs into her system.

“Okay,” she agreed, but she wanted to make sure she caught Towhee’s gaze, her paw snaking out to gently pat on top of Towhee’s own—Ptero not something she was overly familiar with any longer, given she hadn’t used it in such a lengthy time. “But we also need to keep trying to clusterfeed him any chance you get—or else what milk you have will probably dry up.”

If Towhee wanted him to go to a milk nurse while hers came in better—she needed to understand that her babe suckling—whether anything was there or not at times—was one of the best ways to do it… and the less he took from her, the less her body would produce.

The man offered a question, and her eyes drifted up to meet his own gaze. “I believe that’s Towhee’s preference,” she noted, offering him a small smile.

And then they were off to Towhee's next visit.