2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
Private 
set after this! sorry to ramble in OP as usual

twilight in the forum.

germanicus had sought @Towhee first. she by way of her masteries had earned a higher position, and that included engagement upon certain topics.

"the wolves of duskfire glacier visited. i met their scouting party not long ago. they are relocating west and asked for safe passage. but in the interim they have informed me of a raid on a pack called rivenwood. now i am not certain where this group is or what their status may be, but i am well-acquainted with their attackers."

he spoke carefully and perhaps more slowly, pausing as often as his sense of task might allow. "they are called ursus. it was they who were once allied with the saints until they were betrayed. their feud led them to ally with akashingo and they helped us to rout nyra and her few followers."

"they are bloodthirsty cultists. their strength was an asset but now it is a threat. duskfire reports that ursus has taken two children and left several in rivenwood wounded."

another pause.

"i have asked you here to advise, towhee. this is why mereo was founded: to address such violence. i know where ursus makes its nest. but with the saints present once more and the separate attack upon aquene, i find myself in need of an objective opinion." ruenna rested. germanicus waited. he did not wish to stress her with this news — not until his plan was firm.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Mind if we adjust the timestamp so I can keep this straight in my head and thread log? :D

She felt much sharper than during their last meeting in this place. Towhee glanced around the forum a moment before training her eyes on the Imperator’s lips, following in absolute silence. Some of the names were familiar, especially Meerkat’s previous pack.

Towhee’s knee-jerk reaction was to tell Germanicus this was none of their business. But he reminded her that it was the reason Mereo had been founded. She couldn’t help but recall Rue’s words the day she’d joined the ranks. “Mereo is very young. There are ways that Mereo can adjust to you, too. If things could be better, if something could be improved... you just have to ask.”

We know nothing about Rivenwood. We know their attackers are savages. Those same savages are… our allies? Towhee checked the facts.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
done!

"allies is a strong word to use. they were mercenaries who worked with us toward a common goal. but while we were content to end the conflict and take the canyon, they continued on for blood."

germanicus nodded. "ursus lies some days east, outside the sunspire. they would need a reason to come here. a goodly part of me believes in preemptive warning. but this is not without a greater risk than simply holding our borders where we are."

the eagle felt that towhee was of the same mind as himself.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior

The Imperator clarified. They weren’t truly allied with Ursus, yet she wondered if Mereo was technically indebted to them. That sounded like a shitty position to be in, she mused.

So, it’s not that you particularly care about Rivenwood—and, I mean, that’s horrible about the kids—but that you’re worried that Ursus now poses a threat to us? the Praefectus asked, still seeking to understand the situation fully in its complexity and nuance.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"i am concerned about mereo being caught between two unpredictable powers. i am not worried that they will attack. but now that i see what else ursus is capable of doing, it serves me to be more alert."

he looked down upon the floor of the forum and sketched a quick map of their location in relation to the vale, akashingo, ursus, and brecheliant. identifying each point to towhee, germanicus glanced up again. "it would be foolhardy for them to enter the sunspire. but i do not like knowing that they are so close."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
It occurred to her suddenly that she’d overlooked a critical piece of information in his earlier speech. “But with the Saints present once more…” Towhee’s spine stiffened, though she did not speak until he’d finished showing her the crude map.

Sorry, I just realized you said… the Saints are back?

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"mulberry's parents were former members of the saints. she returned to the canyon because it is her former home. some days before she arrived, two boys came to mereo's border. they said they were in search of a man who had stolen. they moved on. when mulberry meant to join, i questioned her about these two. they are all roughly the same age and so i found it suspicious. i gave their descriptions and she told me that these are alduin and tulok, sons of kynareth."

the eagle gave another pause.

"we know that nyra fled into the flatlands. we know that she is far enough to reach the pack you called moonglow. what we do not know is if they have found one another. and if they have, mereo stands upon what the saints believe is theirs."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her eyeballs were beginning to ache in a way reminiscent of her long chats with Wraen. Ignoring the sense of nostalgia that entailed, Towhee mulled the Imperator’s latest slew of intelligence.

So… the Saints and Ursus are both at large. They’re both dangerous and unpredictable. And we’re standing in the Saints’ previous territory. Once more, she was simply seeking to keep her facts straight.

She wondered if the latter really meant much. What would she do if she found a pack living at the caldera? Even with all the Redhawks’ history—hell, the place was named after them—it wasn’t like she could stake a claim anymore. Towhee supposed she would be kind of annoyed about it, though.

You want my advice, she echoed Germanicus’s earlier words. My advice is to pit them against each other and hope they achieve mutual destruction. I’m not really sure how we’d pull that off, though, Towhee said dryly.

She fell into a pensive silence, reaching far back into her memories about the war with Blackfeather Woods, her only real combat experience. It was so long ago, she had trouble recalling specific details. What she did remember clearly was that despite planning carefully, combining forces with allies, preemptively attacking and even winning the fight, the Blackfeathers had only popped back up again like none of it had mattered.

We can’t make any decisions without thinking this through very carefully, weighing the possible consequences and all. We could could plan an attack on Ursus—helping those kids is a worthy cause—but at what cost? Even with all the training in the world, it doesn’t mean a damn thing sometimes. Remember how there were for our five of us against one on our own borders? And yet we failed to do almost any damage at all? Shit like that happens all the time, Towhee posited out loud, teeth grating.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus nodded to her synopsis. her objective view of the situation at last aligned with his own. and her first sentiment elicited a dry huff of amusement. what a political idea. tempting but with far too much involvement than he was willing to give. 

"our focus will be the saints that potentially gather, as well as strengthening our new alliance with kinfolk." the eagle paused. "i have not informed ruenna of duskfire's report. her tasks are fulfilled as usual but she has been resting perhaps more than before." 

his mind pulled away from that at once. it caused anxiety in the imperator and it was thoroughly not a sensation with which he was well-acquainted. "i will seek her after this."

he wanted to speak of something else. "we have not explored the southern part of the sunspire. glaukos and kallik are recovering. but i would like to send a party before long. you may choose the ones who go, if you like."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Germanicus decided they should focus on the Saints, while building their alliances. In the next breath, he said something that made Towhee’s face soften, even as a fire licked behind her eyes.

We have your children to consider now, Towhee mused aloud. She knew the Imperator didn’t need to be reminded of this, though the look on her face spoke volumes. She was deeply and personally invested in those pups, by merit of their mother. Protecting them was perhaps Towhee’s first priority, though she didn’t mention that aloud.

But speaking of children reminded her of the ones he’d mentioned. I do wish there was something we could do for those Rivenwood pups… but I just don’t… Towhee trailed off and shrugged a white-streaked shoulder in helpless frustration. She saw no way to accomplish that without inviting great risk, though she would still mull on it, along with everything else.

Now the Imperator mentioned exploring, inviting her to delegate a scouting party. Towhee briefly considered whether she would like to go. But then she thought of Ruenna. It was yet another thing she would have to deliberate carefully. Germanicus had given her a veritable three-course meal for thought.

In the meantime, she had a sudden idea. She looked down at Germanicus’s map, setting her foot astride it. I haven’t had the chance to discuss the diplomacy thing with Mulberry. What if we killed two or however many birds with one stone? Send a small group out to explore, ultimately destined to drop by Kinfolk to extend an invitation to—what was it you had in mind? Dinner?

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"not only mine." it was a soft deflection. germanicus did not wish to think about fatherhood. he did not want to conceptualize being a parent. he did not know how to be and each time he was reminded the chasm of awareness in this regard seemed to yawn wider.

mereo could not be dispatched for interpack disputes. but he did not need to say it. towhee conveyed such well enough.

the praefectus extended her plan. germanicus gave a single nod of agreement. "dinner." he was not sure how to go about this. "i do not know how to be hospitable in the way that lady ruenna does," he chuffed in self-deprecation.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee could only laugh and reply, Hell, me neither. Rue definitely has that special touch. Hm. And speaking of her, Germanicus’s earlier statement made her curious. She wanted to ask a question, though the more she thought about it, the more her thought took the shape of an offer.

I don’t meant to overstep my bounds, Towhee said, pausing before adding, Imperator. But I’ve raised a shitload of kids. Rue knows this but I want to say it to you too. I’m here to help with them in any way you guys might need. She helped me raise some of my kids—she’s their Auntie Woo—so, yeah, it’d be my absolute honor to look out for them.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus accepted her words with a lift of his chin. "i would not consider it overstepping that you would wish to be involved. i am not certain that there will be other mothers in mereo for a time. and i am sure lady ruenna would welcome your expert company. auntie woo."

for a moment the eagle considered telling her of his own misgivings but like with many other things he only pressed it into a neat and filed space.

"after all, when they are old enough to keep pace i plan to introduce them as auxillia."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I could be Aunt T, she quipped, not at all serious, except for the sentiment behind it, which was actually very sincere. Get it? Auntie…? She huffed a decidedly unattractive laugh.

His mention of raising his children to be soldiers wasn’t at all unexpected. It made her think of Sphyra and her lips twitched. She nodded, though she didn’t say anything. Naturally, how he hoped to rear his children was his business. Towhee just wanted to be their cool, ass-kicking aunt and mentor.

(Abruptly, she wondered if the Imperator and Matrona believed in choosing godparents. Gods forbid they’d ever need them, but Towhee’s eyes went a little soft at the thought. She didn’t dare ask, at least right now.)

Back to the dinner, Towhee said, growing serious once more, maybe Rue and/or Arsenio could give Mulberry some pointers? Then maybe Arsenio would like to take Mulberry scouting and they can include the vale in their road trip? Not to foist it all onto him, I truly feel like he’d be the best candidate at overseeing it. Especially since Kinfolk knows him. But what did Germanicus think?

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
towhee's pronouncement brought an amused snort from germanicus. "i think that is a good plan of action. arsenio is affable but can defend if need be. mulberry may know these mountains as she was born here."

that was settled.

germanicus grunted a bit as some tension ebbed from his body. "it is good to have someone to speak with on these matters. quite often it would only be something i settled myself."

it reminded him that he might consult her on other regards.

"mutual destruction is almost always assured when two leaders decide they are godheads."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He thought it a good plan, a pronouncement which earned a tip of Towhee’s chin. It was as heartening as the statement which followed it. Her tail twitched and she offered a good-natured snort.

Happy to help, she said honestly, her whole body stilling at his next remark. It was a little ambiguous, though the words “mutual destruction” led her to believe, Are we back to Ursus and the Saints?

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the imperator let out his breath and wiped clean the map he had been building. it could always be created again. "i think for now that ursus is not a concern of mine. their leader is a savage sort with one eye. he is easily recognizable. i will worry about the cultists when and if they enter these mountains."

and he would worry about the saints thereafter if the pack pieced themselves together again.

"and if we are able to facilitate a war that distracts them and poses no threat to mereo, then we shall."

the imperator straightened, rolling his shoulders.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
There was part of her that worried it was actually some mysterious reference to the two of them, though that didn’t really make sense. His next statements clarified the matter, in any case, and Towhee could only nod her assent at the Imperator’s decisive declarations.

You know, back in the day, I never bothered with alliances or really interacting with anyone outside of the pack. It’s all a bit new and admittedly strange to me, worrying about everyone else’s business along with our own. That said, it’s kind of weirdly exciting, Towhee admitted, pausing before awkwardly admitting, I don’t know why I’m telling you this. I guess it’s just my weird way of saying I’ve got your back with whatever you decide. Pause. Imperator.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus felt his face warm with another uncommon smile. "endless politicking," he said dryly. "it is not a role i thought i would have for myself either. sometimes i wonder if the soldiers will grow restless without a battle to fight. sometimes i wonder if i will."

the eagle was candid. "i appreciate your support, towhee. it speaks to your level of cohesion and i am glad that you are here within mereo."
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Remember how we talked about a big game hunt sometime, to help us train? Why don’t we go pick a fight with a herd of wildebeest or something? Towhee countered lightly.

I’m glad to be here too, she said truthfully, the immediately previous joke reminding her of her to-do list. If you don’t mind, I’m gonna go tell @Arsenio and @Mulberry about this task. I’ll also tell Mulberry to seek out @Ruenna for some guidance too. Towhee paused for a final affirmation and dismissal, but not without her chronically three seconds of delay, Imperator.

2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus gave towhee an approving look, though he wanted to point out that he had not heard of a wildebeeste before. perhaps it was this land's word for another common animal. "the young men and women will be happy enough to stretch their legs. i suspect they might find all this training rather dreary."

towhee laid out her plan. the eagle nodded. "go, then, praefectus. i look forward to seeing what news comes out of this patrol."

she was free now to leave. germanicus meant to remain where he was for some minutes more, pondering the red sand.