Sun Mote Copse a stick, a stone; it's the end of the road
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
It was time to get back to the Teekons. He'd had a wonderful time traveling with @Fennec, and they'd come to an agreement to rendezvous eventually, but he wanted to take some time on his own to explore the lands in which he'd been born.

Besides, there were faces he desperately needed to see again. His dad, and Grandma, and Caracal chief among them, obvi.

Which is why when he reached these relatively fresh borders, joy lit up his features. One out of three wasn't bad—and hey, was that Auntie @Meerkat's scent, too?

Smiling, he howled for her, knowing Towhee wouldn't hear. With luck, perhaps she'd be near enough to her daughter that they'd both come to meet him. And then he could—

Wait, what the heck was Meerkat doing here and not Moonspear?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,946 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
The stranger did not make a reappearance, though Meerkat’s leeriness lingered. She patrolled, sometimes alone and sometimes with @Njord or Towhee. She felt more protective of these lands than she’d ever felt about any other village, in part because the copse was hers now.

She was by herself when she saw a figure darkening her doorstep. Fortunately for them both, Meerkat instantly recognized her nephew. She glanced past him, as if searching for Fennec, then settled her eyes back on him. She smiled as she approached.

Hey, Killdeer! What brings you to my neck of the woods? she greeted with a light laugh, tail swaying.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Meerkat arrived, albeit alone. Still, he gave a nod and a playful grin to his aunt, dropping in a slight mock play bow before straightening.

Me? What are you doing in your neck of the woods? Killdeer teased, tilting his head. Last I knew, you were in Moonspear. What happened?

There was only the tiniest tinge of apprehension to that last question; he didn't necessarily anticipate anything having gone wrong, but he knew it was within the realm of possibility. Life be crazy, yo.

I'm just on my way back from seeing the world, he went on, with a nonchalant shrug. Still, his eyes sparkled.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,946 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
He bantered back and Meerkat quickly reassured, Njord and I decided to raise our own village. We chose the copse. Moonspear is still doing very well for itself without us. Orca and Seal remain there, she added with a small twinge in her chest.

She meant to ask him where he’d been and what he’d seen. As a scout herself, the topic of travel always captured her interest. But perhaps she should summon Towhee first. She just assumed Killdeer would want to see his beloved grandmother. She would be thrilled to see him, after…

Oh, Killdeer, Meerkat blurted softly. Oh, I’m so sorry to have to tell you this, but… She paused, reaching out to set a paw on his shoulder if he allowed, meaning to anchor him as she broke the terrible news. Caracal recently passed away. I know you were close…
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He was happy for her, even though it meant she and Njord would no longer be part of Moonspear. But hey, perhaps he could serve as mentor to her kids still there. They would need the support; he knew all too well what it felt like to split from a parent, whether by choice or not.

Killdeer was opening his mouth to congratulate her when she continued. And. . . 

What.

Her touch went barely noticed as he stood, slack-jawed. He sat heavily upon his haunches and lifted a back leg to scratch at his ear, wondering if he was hearing things.

But no. Her lips had been moving in time with the words. Those terrible, terrible words.

No, that can't be right, Killer replied, his voice hollow. Disbelieving. He's only—I mean, whatever age I am plus a few moons. He's not old. He wasn't weak or sick. That can't—

But why would Meerkat lie? She must be mistaken. He's sure of it.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,946 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
It was jarring to deliver the news, so Meerkat couldn’t imagine how he must feel receiving it. When Killdeer refuted it, she did not say anything at first. She gave him a moment to work it out with himself, though he insisted Caracal was too young and healthy to be dead.

He was way too young, she agreed, her own heart aching. I can tell you what I know, though I think mom would do a better job of explaining. She was with him, when he passed, Meerkat said. Come with me, let’s find her, she softly suggested, though she did not move, giving Killdeer another moment if he needed it.
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
His chest hurt. Really hurt. His stomach, too. The more she spoke, the more it sunk in.

Caracal. Gone.

Unable to speak through the massive lump in his throat, he gave Meerkat a quick, jerky nod, and followed her in searching for Towhee. He barely registered the ground beneath his paws.

Caracal. Gone.

His best friend. His brother in everything but the most literal sense of the word.

He shouldn't have left. He should have visited more. He should have stayed on the island. Maybe he could have helped. Maybe this wouldn't have happened—

Is Gramma staying here for good? Killdeer asked, barely audible as he forced the question past numb lips.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,946 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
I don’t think so. She’s still traveling between villages, though she’s been resting here a while, recovering…

It was probably a little patronizing, though Meerkat couldn’t help herself. She reached out and softly patted his back. When Killdeer seemed prepared to begin moving into the copse, she kept the pace slow.

She set up a memorial here, where the family graveyard used to be… and still is, Meerkat amended hastily. I think that’s where we’ll find her.

Indeed, as they approached the little circle of stones near the river’s edge on the east side of the copse, Meerkat saw her mother’s familiar figure ahead. Fortunately, Towhee was facing this way, so they wouldn’t catch her off guard.

Slowing to a stop, Meerkat said, Go to her. I’ll go find something for both of you to eat, and offered Killdeer a parting nudge before slipping away.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She’d brought a seashell back from Moontide, which she’d set atop the grave marker for Caracal. Towhee sat staring at it now. She was feeling exceptionally angry today. She hoped everybody would keep their distance.

Meerkat approached. Had she been alone, Towhee would’ve asked to be left alone. But Killdeer was with her. Her breath caught in her throat as she swept to her feet. Meerkat must’ve told him, judging by the look on his face.

Towhee stepped over her son’s tombstone to hurry toward her grandson. She immediately embraced him, forelegs wrapping around his shoulders as she pulled his head toward her chest. She tucked her own over top.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
They had a family graveyard? News to him. He supposed it made sense. Well, nothing really made sense right now. Meerkat's words went in one ear and out the other, really. It was only when he saw Towhee when he came to himself again.

Gra— he began, and then lost the ability to speak. Ptero was completely out of the question.

Luckily, he didn't need to. His grandmother took him into her embrace, and like a balloon suddenly punctured, Killdeer, too, burst. He sobbed into Towhee's pelt, cherishing her scent, the bulwark of her strength as he fell apart. His shoulders shook violently, and for a moment, he mourned, his crying quiet but helpless and unhinged.

When their hug finally ended, Killer stepped back, sniffling back the snot that had began to cascade down his muzzle. Rubbing said muzzle with a forepaw, careless, he croaked and signed: -How are you?-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She held onto him as he sobbed. A few tears slipped free from the corners of her eyes, though Towhee tried to remain strong for him. She’d wept enough already. She was still sad, though nowadays she trended more toward anger.

When he gently pulled away, she settled back to look at him. She wondered where he’d been, what he’d been doing, before coming back to this news. Where was his mom? Towhee wanted to ask all these questions, though she patiently tabled them for later.

-“I’m… not okay,”- she replied honestly. -“This is hardly my first loss, though it never gets easier. And this one hits particularly hard, not just because he was my child but because of how it happened. It was completely nonsensical.”-

She felt the fury licking in her belly. Towhee took a couple steadying breaths. Was Killdeer on good terms with Heda? She was about to ruin that, perhaps.

Caracal was having a hard time, she continued, shaking too much to sign along, as a few of the younger kids disappeared. He started to eat this fermented fruit, I guess he got drunk from it?

What a strange time for a flashback. In retrospect, she was surprised she hadn’t made the connection sooner. Towhee drew in a sharp breath, wondering if those sorts of tendencies were inherited. But to compare Caracal to his father felt deeply wrong, so she discarded that thought out of hand.

Heda left him. She gathered up the rest of the kids—all except for poor Judah—and just left him. They came and found me and I had them immediately turn back because what the fuck. But it was too late. It was too late, Killer, Towhee finished on a croak.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It was worse than he thought.

His face morphed from grief, to disbelief, to fury as Towhee spoke. He thought of that pretty, kind girl who'd captured Caracal's heart. Surely she wouldn't. . .?

But she had. And now his brother was dead. Dead!

He was an utter mess.

I. . . Killdeer swallowed down the sob—or was it a growl?—rising again. He swiped a tongue across his jowls. He noticed, then, the seashell, perched neatly atop a stone. -Is that for him?- he asked, half-rhetorically.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Killdeer choked on his words momentarily. Towhee knew the feeling. Her jaw clenched as she gazed at him, eyes shining. She’d sympathized with Heda’s side of the story at first, though she’d been robbed of getting Caracal’s at all. And that burned her up more and more every day.

At her grandson’s question, she turned and glanced at the small circle of gravestones behind her. Looking at Killdeer again, Towhee nodded, then motioned for him to join her as she moved back to the center of said circle.

I’ve placed a stone for each child I’ve lost, she explained thickly. This one’s his, she added, facing the stone with the shell propped on top, which she touched gently with a toe. I nabbed this while visiting the coast the other day.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He counted. Leona he knew, and now Caracal. . .but there were more. He swallowed, feeling horrible for his grandmother. No one should outlive their children—it simply wasn't right. And yet, here she was.

Killdeer pressed his nose gently to the seashell, then pulled away. 

-Maybe I'll find something to put here,- he mused. -Something that reminds me of him. Something not from the sea. Because. . .I dunno. He was so much more than that.-

But he couldn't think of a memento off the top of his head. There were only places, and memories. Things he couldn't hold or touch or carry.

A fresh wave of tears came, and he let them flow. This time, they were silent streams down his cheeks, the barest sniffle to accompany them.

I just can't believe it, Killer murmured. -And I dunno what to do, now. I was going to go visit him. Now. . .-

Where next? Brecheliant, to see his father?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,975 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee’s ears fell a little when Killdeer said Caracal was so much more than his stint on the island. He was right, of course, but she stared a little forlornly at the seashell. She trusted her grandson could come up with something more suitable.

I’d like that, she said, adding, C’mere, when another wave of grief broke over his head. Tugging him into a side hug, Towhee told him, You should stay here, for the day, at least. We can reminisce about him, if you want. I’d also love to hear all about where you’ve been and what you’ve been doing.

Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,946 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She went straight to one of the copse’s meager stockpiles, then shook her head and decided to try hunting something fresh for their bereaved guest. Meerkat struck out to track down some small game, the venture carrying her past the falls and into the neighboring sweep. There, she struck gold.

When she rejoined her mother and Killdeer, Meerkat set a wild turkey at their feet. She glanced between their stricken faces, feeling like she ought to stay but intuiting that they needed more time in one another’s company. Knowing they would catch up later, she offered each of them a brief hug before departing again, this time to find Njord.

This can work as a wrap if you’d like? :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
sure! sorry I left it hanging

He noticed Towhee's slight deflation and pressed against her, worrying he'd upset her with something he had said. When she spoke again, he nodded fervently, eventually pulling away to make his approval clear.

-I'll stay longer than a day,- he promised. -I'm in no rush to get going.-

Meerkat appeared again, with game in tow. He gave his aunt a grateful look before turning to Towhee again, a rueful smile on his face.

-Let's eat and catch up,- Killer decided. -I wanna hear more about what you've been up to.-

And he'd soak up the presence of his favorite wolf—for however long he could.