Swiftcurrent Creek I lied I'm not picking a thread title
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Private 
Anxiety prickled at her as she led @Dusty Rose out of Swiftcurrent Creek's territory. They were close to the borders now, but Reverie knew that one way or another she'd need to explain this incident to @Akavir. She only hoped that he would understand.

I'll have to talk to Akavir about this... Reverie murmured as they walked, glancing around warily. It was a thoughtless thing by now, confiding in Dusty Rose. He'll want to know why we were here. And that was a problem, wasn't it? She wasn't quite sure she wanted to tell him what her brother had done, or at least that it had been her brother, but how else would she explain that she knew she hadn't been putting Swiftcurrent Creek in danger?
Hushed Willows
hi im baby
193 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
He was still feeling dazed as he followed Reverie from her hiding place and back to their own. He understood that they were not yet out of the creek pack's territory, but borders, to a desert coyote, were more about sound than they were about scent markers.

Still, his head swung toward Reverie with an expression that said, Oh, you will, will you? — but his anger was without consequence, and he didn't speak against the idea nor seethe in silence at the thought.

"Call him," he suggested, though his tone questioned whether or not she thought this was a good idea. "I wanna get a look at this guy, anyway."

He was, very briefly, a guy about it. Was Akavir bigger than him? More handsome?

Impossible.

And with that, the coywolf was disturbed no more. He waited for Reverie's decision, content to let things play out as they would.
* Dusty is a little shit who is always up in people's business. Feel free to bite him and inflict minor injuries without asking permission.
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
That was... probably a better idea than slipping back out without a word. Reverie pressed her nose to Dusty Rose's cheek to soothe him; she hadn't missed his expression.

Alright, She murmured, combing her teeth through his cheek fur for a moment. Just - try to be nice, okay? He's kind of a sad man. A sad man with a sad life. Not so much unlike herself, but the difference between them was that Reverie had been raised to dance not only for the rain but under it.

Rain was life, after all.

After a moment she pulled away and called for Akavir.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
946 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Arric will also be joining, since the invite was extended to Danni also for a guardian thread.

A yawn escaped him--no doubt catching Arric's gaze and Akavir felt a small smirk pull at his mouth, beating his Beta to the punch. Don't you dare call me old, he offered the dark wolf, though his humor faded slightly.

The scent of Reverie was thick in the air--and his brows furrowed. The scent of another--unknown to him. His features set in a stern countenance, he knew Arric, who had been patrolling with him, would scent it, too.

He third to tell himself that perhaps Arlette or Mae had invited them in.

So when he came upon two wolves that weren't of his pack, his ear cupped forward, hearing his name from the shadows and the word sad man.

Interesting.

She cried out for him then, but he was already emerging from the trees of the creek, Arric flanking him--pale champagne eyes intense upon the two. I don't recall the sad man giving an open border policy to you or yours, Reverie, he noted, voice crisp in the spring air.
Hushed Willows
hi im baby
193 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
"I'm always nice," said Dusty Rose, and then a dark shadow of a wolf appeared out of the ether. Sad man, the coywolf labeled him at once. Then he confirmed it and —

Bad man, he thought, amusing himself. It really was typical, though. Wolves and their borders. They hadn't taken anything, had they?

But he was being nice. So he stood with his bottle brush tail waving limply and his liquid blue eyes gazing at the man in polite interest.

"Hello," he said, his tone chirpy.
* Dusty is a little shit who is always up in people's business. Feel free to bite him and inflict minor injuries without asking permission.
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
I can feel myself losing track of the posting order so we'll go Reverie -> Arric -> Akavir -> Dusty Rose if everyone is good with that?
Akavir and Arric appeared far too soon to have been summoned by her call — and it seemed that Akavir had heard her. Reverie's ears fell at once as he spoke. She pressed into Dusty Rose's flank instinctively.

Another reason she could never fall for Akavir? He scared her sometimes.

I - I didn't mean it that way. I just meant - That he was surrounded by sadness, just like her. Reverie cut herself off. Akavir had never been interested in her explanations, but the one he demanded now was important. I - I'm sorry. It's - my fault. My - someone I - I trusted attacked me and - I ran here. Dusty Rose came to - to find me.

I just - I knew I'd be safe here. But I shouldn't have just - I should have asked. I'm sorry.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
-Angels Don't do what he did-
1,000 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Guardian
Therapist
A soft sigh wanted to rattle his chest, but he kept quiet. Ears tweaked forward. Unfortunstely he couldn't save Reverie this time if Akavir chose anger. Because Akavir was his leader. And now he had other lives and responsibilites.

Reveie was sometimes her own worst enemy.  And he had no idea who this jack hole with her was. So he waited patiently blue eyes taking it all in.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
946 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The unknown man offered a greeting that would have been more appropriate when one hadn’t been caught traipsing around their neighbors land, perhaps—Akavir’s attention drifting over to the coywolf—grey, bright eyes. Chipper fellow.

Unlike the dark cloud of the proclaimed 'sad man.'

Arric shifted beside him—a sideways glance to his companion revealing he was simply studying the scenario before him—maybe he, too, noticed the way Reverie practically quaked into her companion at the first sight of them?

No, probably just him—he had that effect on her, it seemed. She began to stumble over some words—earning a blink from the man who felt far more relief than he should when she simply got to the point.

What could have been so pressing that she had deemed it a good idea for her and her… friend—lover?—to come into their lands? Even when Mae had been blinded and with infection he hadn’t dared press into her lands.

He had respected them.

But here they were. She mentioned someone she trusted attacking her—his eyes glanced in the direction of the man—would she protect him if it was him? He felt his teeth press tightly together—and now, after said attack, allegedly they were… feeling safe enough to go back home?

“And you’re okay now?” Seeking clarity—suspicion edging his gaze as he looked between them both. She had fled here—and this guy had followed her… and now they were cool.

He was reminded of the accusations of the swamp witch—Reverie’s fear of her one moment, and then the next moment she would be carrying around a baby Blossom, right along the borders… He exhaled.
Hushed Willows
hi im baby
193 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
He did his best to remain calm and neutral even as his heart began to pound. Maybe he could've taken Akavir — maybe — but there was no way he was getting one over on the behemoth next to him. It annoyed him that they were both kind of hunky, adding insult to the threat of injury. He slid a glance toward Reverie; one that had little more meaning than, sad man???

But he had nothing to say. He tucked his chin and allowed himself to feel small. That was what guys like this wanted, right?

(That was what he wanted from the rest of the world.)
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
She felt —

she felt like a fool.

Each gesture of good will, each painful confession — all for nothing. All for this man to stand in front of her and look at her with suspicion after her own brother had just —

Reverie's eyes filled with tears. There was no more warmth in Arric than in Akavir. Family, she'd called them. Dusty Rose was quiet at her side, and for that she was grateful. His protection was welcome, but only when she needed it. This was her own battle to fight.

Or to walk away from.

There was no more energy left in her for anger. Nothing but hurt in her eyes, and earnest grief in her voice when she spoke, No, I'm - I'm not okay, She said quietly, still pressed against Dusty Rose. I'm just trying to - to pull myself together and get out of your territory. I was - panicking, not thinking. And then I calmed down and realized that - that I shouldn't be here. So I'm leaving. And I'm sorry, and it won't happen again.

She nudged Dusty Rose gently, taking a step back. If neither of the Swiftcurrent Creek wolves stopped her, she would make a swift departure. Family.

She was a fool.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,000 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Guardian
Therapist
Arric's ear twitched. His blue eyes fell on Reverie and then this wolf Dusty. A cant of his head. A soft shift of his weight.

He looked her over.Do you need Arlette? Is the guy that hurt you around here?

He looked around. A softening to his sharp edges. He felt bad for Rev. But simple fact. She had barreled over claimed land
 With no open border policy she knew this.

Shit it was great she still felt safe around the two beasts, but the bridges had been burned before. And Akavir didn't trust and forgive like Arric.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
946 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Her companion kept stealing glances toward her—both seemed entirely uncertain. He didn’t seem as shaken as Reverie—Akavir’s only assumption was that the man had not been present when whatever attack that happened had occurred.

Reverie continued stumbling over her words—if he could, he would have pinched the bridge of his nose. Instead, as Arric took a moment to talk quietly, Akavir found himself glancing heavenward, as if asking for strength.

“Reverie,” he began, an exhale given, frustration burning in his gaze as he looked back to her. It would seem she would always be defensive around him. “I’m asking if you’re okay because I can’t help you if you don’t tell me anything.” If she was expecting him to coddle her there was no need—the man beside her seemed to be doing so. If she didn’t trust him enough to even tell him—why was she here in the first place?

There were no details given—if her attacker was a man. A woman. But Arric wasn’t wrong—maybe Arlette’s softness would be far better in this situation.
Hushed Willows
hi im baby
193 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Another annoying thing about Akavir: Dusty Rose could sorta relate to him. He'd always hated Slow West's tendency toward vague, poetic language. Getting information out of him was like pulling teeth and, well — bless her cotton socks, but Reverie wasn't being very forthcoming.

The coywolf was patient; serene, while things became progressively more awkward. At last, his piped up, saying,

"He's probably still around. But I expect he'll, ah — " he stole another glance at Reverie, wishing for a moment that she would just fuck off for a second so that he could think. Bad enough that these two Don Juans were getting a noseful of her. Dusty Rose didn't like the idea of knowing how scrambled his brains were. He was a good actor, though, and so he acted composed. "Come quietly," he concluded. He at least wished he could cover her glorious ears.

But really — Everett? Dusty Rose almost wanted to ask if she was sure it hadn't been Tybault after all.

"Whatever came over him — it's gotta have come over him, y'know?" He was speaking more to Reverie now than the other two, hoping he was correct in trying to convince her that it was a moment of insanity and not a show of true colors. "Not that that makes it better, or okay at all. But you're safe. Between me'n'you? Nobody's gonna getcha. We got that guy in the mountains to fuck right off, didn't we?"
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Maybe she wasn't being a fool in the way she'd thought. Maybe her foolishness was in assuming that Akavir would only ever assume the worst of her, that he thought her a liar. Maybe she couldn't trust her own thoughts right now.

That was what she told herself, at least. Arric offered Arlette; Akavir was frustrated; Dusty Rose tried to mediate. Reverie could only feel overwhelmed. Of them all, Dusty Rose understood most what sort of turmoil her thoughts were in just now — and she wanted Arric and Akavir to understand, she did, but the thought of speaking it aloud made her feel sick.

Still, she nodded slowly, first to Dusty Rose then to Akavir. Okay, She fought to keep her voice steady; to keep from apologizing again. I woke up like this, so I left my brother with my daughters to find somewhere to... hide. But then he followed me. And I warned him to stay back, but then he - She swallowed hard, fighting not to dissolve into her stammering again. She had warned him. In the language of wolves, she'd warned him, as was her right; it was, after all, his second warning. The first warning for any man of her own blood was the scent. And still he had pursued her, sought to hold her down.

He tried to push me down... Reverie trailed off, gaze going distant with memory. She sucked in a sharp breath and pressed herself more tightly to Dusty Rose. But I got away. I - I'm just a little bruised, I think. But I think... I'd like to see Arlette. In spite of her efforts, her voice wavered on the last words.

She couldn't look at either of the Swiftcurrent Creek leaders anymore.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,000 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Guardian
Therapist
Arric wasn't irritated by it all. It was not thr nest thing to do. He wasn't entirely pleased, but sometimes these things happened.

He thought of his own mate sort of in a position right now. Dusty didn't seem threatening, but if he tried to bully Arlette he could see what the behemoth could do. 

He lifted his nose in a howl for his gentle wife. @Arlette and then waited.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
946 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Had the situation not been so dire, Akavir might have been more amused by Reverie’s chosen—the way he spoke about being overcome. As if he and Arric didn’t have a nose—couldn’t scent her and what nature had inflicted upon her.

What caused his head to tilt slightly—brows furrowing, he looked to Reverie—once more, about to step into the role of lead asshole, no doubt, when his words were to the point: “Are the girls safe with him?”

She left her daughters with her brother… Who then pushed her down and… And now she was here? And her kids were with him? He cast a worried glance to Arric—hoping @Arlette would come soon.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Master Medic
Arric called. It seemed to come from the border which told her enough. There was something of an emergency. She pushed herself to her paws as she had been resting. She started with a quick jog before getting ready to launch herself into a run. It took her a few minutes to arrive. However, they weren't really at the border yet. Arlette frowned, she had assumed the howl came from the border but they were much closer.

She was quick to recognize Reverie with her golden coat. She seemed a little in distress. Were their pack mates still not found? Arlette stepped up next to Arric. She also spotted the stranger. Why were they inside of their home? Arlette had invited Reverie once just to let her rest and have a meal. Now the pale woman was worried that Reverie had taken advantage of her kindness by just coming into Swiftcurrent whenever she wished. She made quick work of the 'room'. Akavir looked tense, which didn't surprise her. Arric looked worried. The stranger she couldn't read so well. But he seemed to be a comfort to Reverie. What happened? she asked, in general, red eyes landing on Reverie to observe her. She shook off that suspicion she had and put on her objective medical mindset. What can I do to help?
Current State
Clearly Pregnant and showing
Hushed Willows
hi im baby
193 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Dusty Rose doubted the man had stuck around, but he'd be lying if he said he hadn't sorta wondered about said girls. But there were others around to look after them, and despite all this — Dusty was pretty sure Everett wouldn't hurt the kids.

The family was strange, that was all. He didn't like it, but he figured that was fine, since Reverie didn't like it, either.

He didn't answer, though. This wasn't his party. He'd really like to head out now, actually.

Before that could happen, though, they had to see Arlette. Dusty Rose was reluctant to do this right up until it happened, and after that, he couldn't really hide his interest. It was just — he'd been one of the youngest. He'd never had much to do with pregnant women. Even Reverie had been largely out of his reach at the time, and so his strongest memory was still of his brother's wife in that brief visit. She'd been so little and yet so huge. Arlette wasn't quite there yet, but that just made him more curious, if anything. It was something new.

He glanced at Reverie, briefly imagining a not-so-distant future. His bottlebrush tail wheeled against his hocks for a few turns before he quelled the subconscious reaction.
Hushed Willows
1,526 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Her daughters. She shook her head, trying not to feel offended. Blossom is with them, Reverie supplied softly. They were safe, or else she never would have left.

As hard as she tried, she couldn't quite loosen her grip on her hurt. It was just —

Reverie knew she’d been wrong to trespass; there had been no thought in her but the need to flee, to find safety, and she'd been selfish again. Akavir and Arric weren't wrong to be upset with her — and already they'd offered her more kindness than she had any right to expect. She didn’t expect it, not really.

But she'd hoped for more than that, if only because she had given more than that. There had been so few moments of true vulnerability between herself and Akavir, but each time she saw even a sliver of the softer side of him, she was careful to be gentle with it. Even when it wasn't expected. Even when she had so many reasons to meet him coldly, or turn away, or hurt him the way he'd once hurt her. She tried to be gentle with his wounds and his mistakes.

But Akavir? It seemed he could never see past his own anger, the insult to himself and his own principles. That was his right, she supposed.

It still wouldn't have killed him to say something like hey, no harm done every once in awhile. They'd taken nothing, they'd hurt no one. But no; she'd insulted his precious pride, and whatever help he offered now was held out with suspicion curled beside it in a hesitant hand even as he expected her, somehow, not to be a stammering mess every time she called to mind what had happened with Everett.

If she’d been perfectly composed, she knew that too would have aroused Akavir’s suspicion against her. In his mind she would never be anything but a snake coiled among soft grasses. No matter how small and defenseless she made herself, he would see fangs waiting to strike. Another wound just waiting to happen.

He couldn't see that she'd never been more than the aftermath. The little bird swallowed whole, nothing but feathers left behind; not villain or victim but a tragedy. A series of events spiraling out of control and finally shattering to dust. The problem with Akavir, she thought, was that he stubbornly believed everyone always did and said what they truly meant — all the while, he failed to maintain his own standard.

If Reverie had been someone more like Tybault, she might have said something like, your shit stinks too, but I care enough to pretend not to smell it when you're down.

She might have said something like, I didn't assault and drug any of your wolves, but I can if that would make you trust me.

She might have said something like, no wonder you can't keep a woman, you're too busy stroking your own righteousness.

Because it was never I’m sorry you were hurt, it was never you’re safe here, not with him. Always it was that suspicion, that frustration, that look that said what did you do this time? Akavir had apologized for Kel, yes, and he'd been sincere. But she saw now that he'd missed the point entirely. That he would do it again if given the opportunity, not deliberately but because he refused to believe even in Reverie’s capacity for basic decency. And she deserved better than that. She deserved to be able to tell him as much.

But she was not Tybault. So Reverie only greeted Arlette with a hesitant sway of her tail and a step toward her.

I um... I'm a little hurt, She glanced down at herself, beginning to realize that she was more hurt than she'd thought. And if - if you have anything that might help me calm down... But she was distracted now as she finally took in the damage. She'd hit the ground hard, and twisted even harder to get away; the skin along one side of her ribcage was thoroughly scraped, her elbow torn, bruises already showing through in dark purple and scarlet dappling where her fur was thinner at her chest. If Arlette inspected more closely she would find that the bruising patterned up her flank and shoulder into her nape.

It was a stark reminder of the fact that she'd just been assaulted by her own brother, that he'd known just how to throw her to the ground as their parents had done so many times. Remembered, perhaps. Tears welled in her eyes all over again as Reverie realized the extent of it. Nothing life-threatening, but — but her brother had done this.

It was the brief motion of Dusty Rose's tail as he glanced over to her again which lightened her grief. It was the way he looked at her, the soft light in his eyes. She took in a breath to steady herself and turned her attention back to Arlette.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,000 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Guardian
Therapist
Arric eyed the little eye fuck staring at his wife. He blinked and spoke quietly 

Dusty meet my wife Arlette, Beta and healer of swiftcurrent creek.

He didn't trust that boy for shit. Didn't know him, had never met him and he was in their home staring at the most vulnerable wolf in their fold next to Cygnet right now. It ticked him off a little to feel so untrustworthy 

He swallowed and looked to Akavir. A soft whistle of a sigh. She'll take good care of ya Rev. Come on over here Dusty give the girls some room.

Arric shifted and settled on his haunches. But his body pretty rigid. But he did want to give both Arlette and Reverie room this felt like something none of them needed to be privy too. What had happened to Reverie had been very bad. Very very bad. She was vulnerable and sad.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
946 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
As usual with Reverie, something seemed off.

Softly, she stated Blossom was with her children—her eldest daughter. The man in question—her brother—had followed her and pushed her down. The implications of the assault stood at the forefront of his mind—his teeth gritting. Was Blossom safe from him, truly?

Could she defend herself?

The duo before them seemed unworried about it—but if Akavir had learned anything these past few grizzly years… Trust was not something that could be so easily placed.

Had it been any other time, the swarthy man would have been amused by Arric as he stared down Reverie’s new beau—making sure to make his claim on the pregnant woman known. Instead, he rose, antsy—unable to simply sit when a crisis was circulating them.

“Did you want me to go make sure they’re okay?” A glance given to Arlette, who would begin her assessment—“Do you need anything?”
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,139 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Master Medic
Arlette watched Reverie, but as she did she noticed the stare of the stranger next to her. It seemed Arric also didn't like it. Arlette flattened her ears down, showing her discomfort to be stared at. Her gaze turned to Reverie who spoke of being hurt. She motioned Reverie to follow her a little bit away from the men but still in sight. Now she stepped closer and had a better look she noticed the skin along one side of Reverie's ribcage was thoroughly scraped, fur looked uneven or even scraped off. Like she had rubber herself too harshly against rock. Her elbow looked wounded, and her chest didn't that good either. Arlette's gaze turned a little serious. You've got quite some bruising, she commented. I will get you things, a moment.

Arlette ran off towards her garden. Luckily it wasn't too far away. She scanned over the plants, thank god for the recent sun. She started to grab a few Chamomile stems, she added some Dandelion leaves as well to the pile. Grabbed a burdock root and then poppy seed pod. Calm, infection, pain. Yes. She picked it all up in her mouth and then ran back as swiftly as she could back to Reverie. Arlette stopped before the golden female. She pushed the Chamomile and dandelion leaves towards her. Then the poppy seed and a piece of the root. Chew this into a paste into your mouth, she instructed the female. The white flower and the added leaves is to calm you. The poppy seed is for pain, and the piece of Burdock root is for infection. In case the female wanted to know what and why she was getting this variety.

She nudged the root closer. Take this with you. You can chew small pieces off it for the next couple of days so your wounds won't become too infected. Poppy seeds should readily available this time of year. Arlette glanced over her then. She felt bad that this had happened to Reverie. She didn't know who had done this, or what was the cause but still she felt for the female. And... Well if you need more medicine or something else than medicine .... A talk, a distraction, a rant... let me know, she offered softly. Woman to woman. She hoped this would help her, and that she would soon feel better. If you need more help later or feel some new pain somewhere else, you come back yes?

Arlette then looked up at the men. Tense bunch. She shot them a soft smile and gave a quick nod.
Current State
Clearly Pregnant and showing