Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
There was quite a lot preying on her mind, though physically she felt quite a bit better today. Meerkat decided to take her mind off things for a little bit by spending the morning and early afternoon hunting. It took her longer than usual to catch a rabbit near where the lake, meadow and river all met. But as soon as she felled it, she crossed the Qeya at a shallow point and trotted east.

It was finally time to call on @Kukutux and @Sialuk. Gift in hand (rather, mouth), she loped in a straight line beside Frostfire Ridge and Sleeping Dragon, skirting the scrub down south as she veered toward the temporary settlement at Killdeer Rest. She didn't see any plovers, though she saw many signs of habitation as she approached Moonglow's itinerant village.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
i'm not entirely sure what's going to happen in other threads, so being vague!

Although her state of mind had not changed, Sialuk persevered. She woke each day. She slept each night. She studied the bones Sixsix brought to her. She mentored her sisters when she could muster the energy to do so. She ate when she remembered.

Sialuk spent her time in the territories surrounding Duskfire Glacier, though she did not go to the village herself. Doing so would feel... well, she was not certain. She longed for Moonglow, her home. She knew they would return to the spine, but she could not shake the feeling that she should have stayed behind there, to keep it safe.

A figure approached in the distance, bringing Sialuk to high alert, and she trained her awareness on the figure. As the wolf drew closer, she recognized Meerkat and greeted her with a friendly "woof!"
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
sialuk had been silent and unlike herself.

kukutux believed it was because her daughter's spirit was so tied to the spine.

"we will go back," she assured her raindrop that day. 

and then meerkat was coming. she too greeted the young woman.

"it is good to see your face again." many things had happened around meerkat. moonwoman would not press, but she hoped to know if meerkat found her trustworthy enough to be told such things.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
They both came to meet her and Meerkat smiled around the carcass in her mouth. She moved toward them, bending to place the meat at their feet and then keeping her head bowed. Her tail wiggled behind her and her brown eyes shone when she peeked up at mother and daughter through her lashes.

"It's good to see you too. It's been too long," she replied to Kukutux's greeting. She tried to think of the last time she'd laid eyes on the woman. Had it been that day when they'd both gone to the island? The memory wasn't particularly pleasant, though it dropped back into the murk of her mind when she abruptly remembered a slightly more recent encounter.

She hadn't thought about any of this in a while and thinking about it now made her mouth go dry. Nonetheless, Meerkat took a breath and said, "I owe you an apology," to Kukutux. "I wasn't in my right mind when we ran into each other this past summer." She breathed through a wave of deep embarrassment before reassuring, "I'm doing much better nowadays, though."

As for Sialuk, she didn't think they'd crossed paths since spring. "How are you doing, Ms Fierce? How are you both?"
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
The rabbit was noted, and Sialuk silently thanked Meerkat with a quick bob of her own head. The extended apology brought confusion to Sialuk's face. She had not heard of this encounter, but perhaps that was for the best. The gamma had always held her village-sister in high regard, and to hear that she had done wrong surely would have made her feel differently. Even to hear it now was surprising, but Sialuk did not press further, especially when Meerkat was quick to change the direction of their discourse.

We are here for a time, for the winter. Sialuk still struggled to find reason in leaving the spine, but she accepted it as well as she could. You are with the Duskfire wolves? she asked.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux gave a soft look toward meerkat. "i am happy to see that nothing grew of my worry." it was forgiven; there had not even been an offense. 

sialuk's voice was hushed and understated. kukutux chose not to speak of what seemed to be meerkat's pending marriage to the glacier man. "we have been invited to stay for a celebration. and to sing for the man and his wife who have gone beyond the dancing lights."

there was empathy in her greenstone eyes.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Neither one of them really spoke about themselves, personally. Sialuk mentioned they intended to winter in the area, then Kukutux elaborated by mentioning the upcoming memorial. Meerkat's eyes drifted between mother and daughter as they spoke in turn.

"I am with Duskfire Glacier," she replied to Sialuk's question. "We appreciate your support and sympathy," she added to Kukutux.

Meerkat drew in a breath, meaning to press them a little about her earlier question. How were they doing as individuals? But before she could frame the query, her nostrils suddenly flared and she turned her head, looking around in mild confusion.

Facing the two white she-wolves again, she said, "That's strange, I thought I just smelled my mom..." Meerkat paused, blinking. It was pretty unexpected but it wasn't totally out of the question that Towhee might've wandered up this way. "Is she here...?"
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
That they had been invited to stay was news to Sialuk. She did not know these wolves that they would sing for, and the raindrop found herself resisting the idea. Was it proper for her to sing for those she did not know? It had certainly meant much to her for her father and brother, but she had always thought it was a thing for those one loved. She would bring the question to anaa in private.

Meerkat made mention of her mother, and Sialuk tasted the air... but she did not know what she sought. She had not meet her village-sister's mother, though she had once intended to make her way to the Redhawk village. Again, Sialuk looked to Kukutux.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux nodded. "my kinsman kigipigak led your mother towhee here. she says that the redhawk caldera is no longer a village."

she anticipated sadness from meerkat, and stepped forward to offer a brush of encouragement. 

"she has gone to travel in the taiga between our winter camps. she will return." the jadestone eyes were warm when she turned them upon her silent daughter for a moment before looking back at the sandpiper.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
"Oh," Meerkat said, a little surprised but in a mostly pleasant way. Her mother was nearby! "I hope she didn't go to the glacier looking for me, seeing as I'm here," she thought aloud with a chuckle. She supposed they would bump into one another eventually, if she was in the area.

"And, yeah, they disbanded a few weeks ago. I'm not really sure what happened. I guess most left, so my mom and Ruenna decided it was best if the rest of them tried to find somewhere else to stay, especially for the winter. My mom lived her whole life with that pack and I was worried it would destroy her to lose everything. But she seems to be doing okay with it."

But she hadn't come here to talk about herself or her mother! "Tell me," she pressed in the next breath, "how have the two of you been doing? Not in the context of Moonglow but personally. We haven't seen one another in so long, I want to hear everything I've missed."
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
ugh, sialuk. so emo.

Sialuk made note to seek out this taiga traveler. It would be a wonder to meet her village-sister's anaa! Meerkat then spoke many words of what had happened at Redhawk, and Sialuk felt guilt that she had not made her journey to them. Meerkat spoke of her mother losing everything, and Sialuk felt even worse then. If somehow her visit could have helped—the raindrop felt shame that she had let her spirit dim. An apology felt deserved to Meerkat and her kin, though they had never known of Sialuk's intentions.

Meerkat's question only made the shame and guilt turn in on itself, swirling and spiraling the darkness in her chest. So often, Sialuk was well-spoken and duty-bound, but now she felt she had failed not only herself, but Meerkat, the Redhawk village, and even her mother. And how was she supposed to answer when she only felt the aching numbness in her chest?

Again, the girl deflected.

I have two sisters now—Kausiut and Samani, was all she could muster. Even their names did not bring light to her spirit. She had all but let them live as strangers to her.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
meerkat gave the details of what had happened inside the caldera. ruenna's name brought a nod. and with towhee's words, it seemed now that the redhawk clan had entered the world from different places. meerkat was here and perhaps would be mated to issoratuyok. towhee roamed. she would return with moonglow. or perhaps she would not. fennec sought a new place with her husband. 

it was good. she thought of when sialuk might leave her. it would be her daughter's choice. and kukutux felt the pang inside herself once more. her raindrop spoke of the twin children, and the duck smiled. "i have found many places for plants to grow, ones that i have not seen before. i often walk alone. i listen to the spirits speak upon the taiga. it is a pleasant thing, to be at winter hunting. it brings me memories of my home."

she would speak for them both, but she hoped that sialuk would add more of her words.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk mentioned two younger sisters, though the way she phrased it made Meerkat look almost uncertainly at Kukutux. They must be hers, yet she knew the woman had lost her mate (Sialuk's father) to the landslide. And she made no mention of them, instead regaling the yearling with details about her day-to-day activities at their makeshift camp. It was all very fascinating to hear, though something about the exchange left her feeling a little puzzled.

"I'd love to meet Kausiut and Samani sometime. I just recently spent some time with one of my younger brothers, Caracal. He and his twin sisters have already dispersed. I know everybody says this but they really do grow up so fast," Meerkat mused.

She paused to reflect on everything Kukutux had shared, then asked, "Would you like to walk with some company for a bit? Maybe you could show me around the camp? And we could meet the girls, if they're around? Maybe even find my mom?" Meerkat quipped, brown eyes casting between mother and daughter.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Sialuk felt as though Meerkat saw through her, but the raindrop swept the thought to the side. The village sister suggested they meet the twins, but Sialuk wished to warn Meerkat of Kausiut's condition. She did not wish for Meerkat to think that they had hurt her one-eyed sistraa.

There is a thing you should know about Kausiut. She is missing an eye, like I miss a toe. And one of her legs did not come out like the others. Do not be taken aback when you see her. Sialuk said this with a smile, knowing Meerkat would not be unkind to her sistraa. But she did not want her to be surprised, either.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux nodded. she welcomed meerkat to their sides. the raindrop began to speak of kausiut and the duck felt a protective pang rise in her heart. "kausiut does not speak. her way in moonglow will be different. but she has the respect of the village." or so moonwoman believed. she did not know her kinsman's thoughts upon the daytime star.

"let us go to my ulaq first. they will be there with the sun man." she smiled at the girls and turned to make a path for the main camp.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her pale head cocked when Sialuk informed her of Kausiut's differences. Kukutux elaborated on them. Meerkat glanced between the two of them and nodded in understanding.

"Of course not," she reassured Sialuk, smiling. "My mother is deaf and my older sister is blind." Meerkat didn't mention her own half-deafness. She'd never told anyone, not even Towhee. "I've known plenty of wolves with special needs. I will respect them just like anybody else."

She readied to follow them to the Alpha female's ulaq and her ears pricked at this mention of a "sun man." "The who now?" she wondered, eyes bright with interest.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Sialuk did remember Fennec then. "The witch!" she thought. Fennec's face had not come to her mind in many moons, yet it was she who had sent Sialuk down the path of bones. Anaa had gently warned the raindrop of Fennec, but Sialuk had not listened, and she was happy for it. Fennec was sister to Meerkat, and this way she could not be bad.

Sun man is taataa—father—to Kausiut and Samani. He is called Aiolos, Sialuk explained. If Kukutux wished to explain further, Sialuk knew the words would come.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
again sialuk spoke. kukutux was glad to hear the sound of her raindrop's voice. "he is a kind man. his fur and his eyes together are like the sun when it is high."

it was their way to give names for the way one looked. it was why meerkat had been ikskriktaayuuk in the beginning.

the camp's path started to become clearer, marked by packed snow and streaks of blood.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk elaborated on this "sun man's" identity. Aiolos? Meerkat repeated in her head. Why does that sound so familiar? Her good ear flicked when Kukutux embellished her daughter's answer and still the yearling couldn't place him. Then it hit her like a bat to the head and she abruptly stopped dead in her tracks.

"Aiolos, the one who met us at Yuèlóng?" she asked, brown gaze resting weightily on Kukutux.

Belatedly, she realized she was making a face and she quickly schooled her expression. Should she say anything about the fact that he had lied to her face about her Neema's death? She supposed it was possible he hadn't known the truth and only gone along with what Mou had told him, yet Meerkat didn't see how that was possible.

She also didn't see how sharing such a thing would do any good now. "I remember him," Meerkat said a little quietly, lips pressing together.

Carefully avoiding looking at either woman now, she instead focused on the path ahead, marked in various shades of red and brown. She breathed in and out, trying to quell the flicker of distaste at hearing such a man was now mate to Kukutux and father to her new children.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
There was something strange in Meerkat's face when Aiolos's name was mentioned. Sialuk peered at the village sister, wondering what had transpired between them when they had met. What changes your mood, Meerkat? Sialuk asked. It was easier to talk about the problems of others rather than her own.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,102 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux had noticed this also. meerkat wore her expressions plainly. her snowy ears tipped forward in curiosity. 

if aiolos had shared an unkind word with meerkat, she must know.

and so she was quiet, encouraging. this was a place of safety, between herself and sialuk.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk seemed to cotton onto her shift in demeanor. Meerkat glanced at her, then at Kukutux. They both looked at her with question marks in their eyes. She just smiled apologetically and shook her head.

"Nothing in particular. Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind lately. But I'm happy to meet your family," she was quick to add, all of which was mostly true. There certainly was much weighing on her lately and meeting the two youngest members of the Moonglow women's family would be quite a welcome distraction.

I figured it may make sense to fade here? :)