Ouroboros Spine From your head down to your toes, you’re not much, goodness knows.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Private 
Danni and Rachel, I was hoping you’d come along for the ride, but please let me know if I need to make any revisions!

She didn’t think she knew any of the healers in Moontide, though she definitely knew @Kukutux. More importantly, she trusted “Moonwoman” and her knowledge where it concerned her son’s fate. Almost as soon as @Rodyn dropped her name, Towhee insisted on heading to the neighboring village. She welcomed him and @Meadow to accompany her there (conveniently turning a deaf ear in case of any protests).

They arrived at the spine’s western edge by mid-morning. Bushtit slept, even when she gently tucked him in between her forepaws. The sight of his pudgy belly removed some of the urgency from the situation. Towhee nuzzled his fuzzy head, then raised her eyes to her companions. She imagined they weren’t particularly thrilled with her rash decisions, though Towhee hoped they understood she would do anything to save her baby from starving to death.

Will one of you do the honors?
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn followed doggedly. It didn't matter that he had just been here. Or that he had just returned to the coast. No all that mattered was that Towhee felt safe. And that her child was taken care of.

So like the good ole boy that he was he followed and kept an eye. Learning a little perhaps along the way.

He lifted his nose and called for @Kukutux.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
rodyn's call brought kukutux up from where she had been at the lake once more. leaving the fawnpelt in the careful watchfulness of her granddaughters, moonmother came now to attend the bear-man.

he was not alone; her brow furrowed. towhee was here, and with her —

"aya!" she exclaimed softly, distressed by the tense air of the small group; foregoing her usual manner of welcome, kukutux pulled the grey foxfur from her shoulders and offered it to warm the child. "what has happened?" 

a sensation now, one of grief, and then annoyance; her eyes moved swiftly between each wolf at her borders. fevers had set into mothers' flesh for less. but she knew also that towhee surely understood these things, and she did not need to turn scolding words on an experienced mother. 

she set instead her soft eyes on the woman, softly encouraging an explanation before she insisted on sweeping them all to her ulaq.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Mothers were unrelenting when it came to the well-being of their children, and Towhee reacted in a way Meadow felt she likely would have as well—though it hurt that the Esquire had not thought to even reach out to her before starting a crazy jaunt across the wilds.

Meadow was no stranger to healing—and had even assisted Tamar with milk production and proper latch techniques. Had helped with the depression that could linger so darkly after.

Whether it was simple gut reaction that had sent them here on the mother’s will, or an idle ‘middle finger’ given to Meadow's abilities, she did not know—but she also did not feel comfortable leaving the woman in such a state, and had dutifully followed.

Now they stood on the borders of another pack—Meadow’s worrisome gaze drifting from Towhee and to the woman the man known as Rodyn had summoned—and quietly, she remained a shadow among them, allowing Towhee to explain, and trying not to feel entirely like the unwelcome fourth wheel.

Maybe, Sun Mote Copse’s excitement for the Ebonywood family had been only for Reyson and his children, rather than his home-wrecking wife.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Out of the corner of her eye, Towhee saw Rodyn throw back his head as she returned her attention to her slumbering son. She glanced at Meadow over the top of his tiny head. She knew she should say something to her, though Kukutux’s quick appearance waylaid that thought.

Before Towhee could explain, “Moonwoman” unshouldered a gray pelt and set it gently over Bushtit. The Redhawk showed her appreciation by tucking the corners of it around her son’s tiny body, swaddling him. It made it even easier to carry the little bundle of joy to the ulaq.

This little guy caught me off guard, Towhee explained, and I’m worried I’m not producing enough milk. Are there any nursing mothers here, by any chance?

It wasn’t the first time she’d required the help of a wet nurse. Back then, she’d really struggled with watching someone else feed her offspring. Now, she had no such qualms. Towhee wasn’t the praying type but she found herself hoping loudly for a tit for her tit.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
nursing mothers, towhee requested. kukutux shook her head. "it is too late in the season for milk to flow new," came her questing murmur, though she glanced to rodyn. towhee did not live in moontide. had she left her home for the coastal salt? why had she left at all?

"tell me," she cut in crisply before anyone else might speak; "tell me of your milk, towhee. there is much to be done for it, for your child." 

the sense of desperation; she wondered if it was true or if she only perceived it, but surely the former must it be. towhee, again, would not be here otherwise. "come now; we will give warmth to you both."

her eyes fell upon the woman standing near; kukutux wondered. "you are healer?" she asked, for she knew rodyn would have offered medicine himself had he the knowledge.
Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Her features faltered when the one she assumed they called ‘moonwoman’ spoke there were no feeding mothers—as she would have feared before Towhee had begun this journey with a pup so small. Still, whatever irritation she held on the matter was softened as her gaze drifted to Towhee, cradling her baby. She knew logic did not fully fuel this entirely—a mother’s heart and stubbornness during such tender times were hard to war with.

A question delivered to her, after the green-eyed woman queried the Esquire. She nodded—feeling acutely useless in this very moment, given her own methods and suggestions had been barely heard and then rejected—“Yes, and a friend,” she offered, in case there was confusion now—Meadow was here in this moment for moral support. “I can help with whatever is needed.”
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Just noting that we’re skipping Rodyn with permission given via Discord.

Kukutux’s words struck cold fear in Towhee’s heart. Her son hadn’t just come too late in the season, he’d come too late in his mother’s life. She looked down at him and tried to swallow the huge lump in her throat. She hated the feeling of helpless futility that threatened to choke off her very breath.

Fighting tears, Towhee attempted to focus on “Moonwoman’s” lips. She tried to keep in mind that all hope was not lost as she thought of how to answer her critical question. She needed them to understand the urgency, all the while hoping for reassurance.

Starting last night, he kept trying to nurse, only to unlatch and cry. I could tell he wasn’t getting anything. I tried for hours, then decided I needed to go for help. Towhee glanced heavily at Meadow, then Rodyn, before her misty eyes returned to Kukutux. I know there are herbs that can help but I don’t know if there’s enough time…

Again, she looked at Meadow. Her baby’s fate was now in her—and Kukutux’s—hands, and Towhee could only hope that she was wrong about that. She replayed the woman’s words as they’d left Moontide: “But we also need to keep trying to cluster feed him any chance you get or else what milk you have will probably dry up.”

She pulled Bushtit to her again, curling around him as she unwrapped the swaddling and tried to wake him. He roused, so Towhee mouthed him closer to a teat. He pushed his paws against her skin and she thought he was resisting at first, though he began to knead as he latched.

Towhee sucked in a hopeful breath, then lifted her gaze to the women and Rodyn to say, Whatever I have to do, I’ll do it. Just please help me keep this little guy alive.

Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
<3

her confusion only grew, consternation wanting its place upon her features. she reined it back, guiding the small party up the familiar worn path to the ulax. "there are many here to help. my daughters all know these things, and my granddaughters have started their own learning."

she decided that towhee and child be placed in one of the healing shelters; she took several of the fine pelts scraped and prepared by her younger grandchildren, tucking the caribou and mink inside the ulaq. "he is strong, towhee. he sucks! his mouth is ready. keep him there, even if he grows angry." to the other healing-woman her attention came now; "what would you give first? up the path is my ulaq. you will find all that is needed. i will stay here."

poor rodyn! she offered him a bit of elk-meat and suggested that he join ipiktok and salaksartok where they rested in the grove. but she would not press; he had more than earned his right to stay close, for she trusted he would not interfere.

her voice was raised, calling now for one of the girls to bring water, that towhee might replenish what she had lost upon the journey.
Sun Mote Copse
Tradesman
563 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
They followed the woman whose green eyes rivaled fresh spring. There, Meadow watches with quiet interest as she places the makings of soft nest materials among a shelter, noting many here would be able to help—

—so it had been a wise choice, had it not, to seek the help of this moonwoman and hers?

A touch  given to Towhee’s flank—meant as reassurance—and then the Alpha is questioning her, and she finds her mouth drying—surprise at being questioned and then directed.

Her eyes followed the trail indicated—but as @Rodyn made to leave on suggestion of Kukutux, Meadow finds herself nearing him before he veers off path, eyes cast to him, a frown knitting her features as the white she-wolf is once more tending to Towhee. “Rodyn… What’s an... what's an ulaq?” She tests the word on her tongue, trying to keep the panic from her voice—already feeling she was more of a hindrance than a help.
Sun Mote Copse
Esquire*
5,129 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He didn’t stay latched for long. At least he didn’t cry when he let go, though Towhee nosed at his mouth and smelled no milk. She swallowed a sigh, nosing the wrap around Bushtit once more. He dozed as Kukutux led her into a shelter lined with the softest furs she’d ever touched.

She set the swaddled babe on the most velveteen of them all, then lifted her eyes to catch “Moonwoman’s” words. Towhee found comfort in them, as well as Meadow’s touch. She drew in a breath as Kukutux turned to say something to the other two. She curled more tightly around her son, orange eyes following Rodyn and Meadow as they stepped out of the ulaq a moment later.

She wanted to ask where they’d gone, though all at once, her exhaustion caught up to her. In the middle of unwrapping Bushtit again to coax him to nurse, Towhee suddenly sagged. She didn’t move for a moment, though finally she mustered the energy to push the pup’s nose toward a teat before wearily looking to “Moonwoman” again.

I’m too old for this shit, she said slowly, sounding more than ever like her mouth was full of rocks. Don’t get me wrong, I love him—he’s called Bushtit, by the way—but what the hell was he thinking, Towhee continued, shaking her head, picking me to be his mom? What a little dumbass.

Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,635 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn offered Towhee a brief smile. He knew she would need to rest now. She had been running like crazy. He looked to Meadow then as they stopped nearby and he nodded.

It took me a while to learn everything when I first came here. It is what Moonwoman or kukutux as is her given name. It's how her clan refers to homes.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,399 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
for a tender moment, her green eyes watched the boy nurse in attempt. how long it seemed since she had warmed children along her own body in such a way. 

callyope. stratos. ariadne.

her heart thrummed with a deep pain. "sedna removed this from me at last," kukutux revealed with a wry smirk. "she chose you for this and gave to it a reason." it would come to be seen. a girl brought soaked tufts of moss and she set them near the sun-mote mother.

bushtit. she had not heard this word before, but assumed it was the name of a bird, as towhee was. "he is beautiful," the duck clucked. "please. stay among us until your strength has returned. however many hands of time this will be, stay."

turning now, to wait at the ulaq's mouth for the herbs.